County cricket 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County cricket 2017

OK, it's overshadowed by yet more new-competition talk, Durham's brutal treatment last year, it's ridiculously scheduled and much mocked, but my team (who I hardly get to see these days) are back in the top flight for the first time in seven years, and I'm rather looking forward to it.

Post your county stuff here.

County cricket 2017

Not especially optimistic about Yorkshire's prospects, even though we're the bookies favourites for the Championship. Gale has no coaching experience so in the short term at least is unlikely to be an improvement on Dizzy. Ballance may or may not turn out to be a better captain but again he'll spend time learning. The batting (especially the middle order) really struggled last year and we ended up being baled out by the lower order time and again. On the bowling side Brooks is out until at least the end of the month and Sidebottom (in his final season) and Plunkett are also injured. Unclear who we'll lose to England, Root and Bairstow we don't expect to see much of, Rashid will presumably be involved a lot, Ballance will probably not be called up given his winter. Don't expect us to be relegated but will probably finish about 4th / 5th.

Anyway, roll on 2020 when Super Duper Franchise Whackit Smackit #Cricket comes along and there's a one in four chance we'll be able to watch the Birmingham Bollocks take on the Southampton Shitpeas on free to air telly.

Comment

County cricket 2017

We'll be rubbish.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Bring it on.

The only decision I need to make is whether to go to Edinli on Sunday.

Anyhoo

Div 1

Champions - Surrey.
        IWAC - Middlesex, Warwickshire

Relegated - Hampshire, Essex

Div 2

Champions - Sussex
        Promoted - Notts

OD Cup - Somerset

T20 - Middlesex

Comment

County cricket 2017

Leicestershire have been docked 16 points for behaviour that "overstepped the mark" in the case of bowler Charle Shreck.

Blimey, that must have been some pretty naughty behaviour.

Comment

County cricket 2017

It seems more to reflect that this is their fifth penalty in the last twelve months.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Blimey, that must have been some pretty naughty behaviour.
              It was shrecklich.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Glamorgan have started as they mean to go on. 9-3 against Northants.

Comment

County cricket 2017

58-6 now.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Though on checking, this represents a substantial recovery from 26-6.

Comment

County cricket 2017

84-8 at lunch, end of season party this evening?

Comment

County cricket 2017

Cheer up, Ray. Surrey's openers put on 150.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Yorkshire having a middle order collapse including Leaning out cheaply. Meet the new era, same as the old era.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Cheer up, Ray. Surrey's openers put on 150.
                            That's almost as sadistic as telling me that I should've been happy with last year's Middlesex win...

Comment

County cricket 2017

I am what I am, Tim.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Nocturnal Submission wrote: Cheer up, Ray. Surrey's openers put on 150.
                                Are we allowed second counties then? I'm still not sure of the laws of cricket.

Comment

County cricket 2017

No.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Glamorgan apparently are yet to appoint a batting coach.
                                    Rumours abound that Robert Croft rather enjoys coaching the younger players from within licensed premises.

Comment

County cricket 2017

ursus arctos wrote: It seems more to reflect that this is their fifth penalty in the last twelve months.
                                      Looks quite harsh even then, what with this latest being in a game against Loughborough.

Leicestershire used to employ Gordon Parsons. Lucky they didn't have these rules then.

Comment

County cricket 2017

At a sunshiney Headingley watching a long ninth wicket partnership from Hampshire, they avoid the follow on as I type. There's a sign on the big screen saying the next championship home match is Lancashire on June 2nd!

And the partnership broken, Bresnan bowls Wheal.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Warwickshire being destroyed by Mark Footit and Surrey, currently 42 for 5 after Surrey put on 454.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Warks. now 61-9.

Come on, Ray. Residency rules mean you can share in the glory.

Comment

County cricket 2017

The weather may be like mid-July but only Surrey, on Friday, and Lancashire today seem able to bat in it. Collapses all over the shop, Gloucestershire's being today's pick.

Only one game likely to still be going on tomorrow.

In the meantime, always nice to read now-rare Matthew Engel cricket pieces, and this is a great one, on the state of the counties.

Comment

County cricket 2017

Very well done

The game misses his insight

Comment

County cricket 2017

If Yorkshire's defeat this weekend wasn't bad enough, they've just been kind enough to send me some e-marketing to say that Dr J Root has prescribed me as having "Cricket Fever" and that I should be excused from work on May 24th to go to the ODI versus South Africa. I mean, the absolute state of this.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X