Jamboree on ITV - Cheltenham 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the most wonderful time of the year...
    Until you actually look at the runners and realise that all the good horses you've been filing away as ones to back are actually running against each other.

The Mullins-O'Leary split adds some intrigue, although I still expect him to be top trainer and have backed him at generous odds of 11/4.

Day 1:
    1.30 Bunk Off Early
    2.10 (Altior) Some Plan e/w
    2.50 Holywell
    3.30 Petit Mouchoir
    4.10 Vroum Vroum Mag
    4.50 Arpege D'Alene
    5.10 Foxtail Hill

Completely underwhelmed by tomorrow. Weakest Champion Hurdle field I can remember, could make a case for many of them and a compelling case for none.

2.10 Cloudy Dream (e/w)
    2.50 The Druids Nephew

Will also do something in the first, just haven't decided what, yet.

Comment

1.30 Beyond Conceit
      2.10 Royal Caviar
      2.50 Vintage Clouds
      3.30 Brain Power

All e/w in a Lucky 15, though I think Brain Power could win. ITV's coverage has developed well the last few weeks, although I'm going to get pretty fed up of the two clowns in the betting ring - and their bantz - pretty quickly.

Comment

Did a double take just then when I saw that Alex Ferguson was the jockey for one of the horses in the Supreme.

Comment

johnr wrote: 1.30 Beyond Conceit
          2.10 Royal Caviar
          2.50 Vintage Clouds
          3.30 Brain Power

All e/w in a Lucky 15, though I think Brain Power could win. ITV's coverage has developed well the last few weeks, although I'm going to get pretty fed up of the two clowns in the betting ring - and their bantz - pretty quickly.
          I trust that nobody takes any notice of my tips.

That was disappointing. I'll be missing the next two days, but will be back, with renewed optimism, on Friday.

Comment

Get in! I've survived off my original E50 placed with William Hill 7 years ago. 4 races a day at Cheltenham and one horse a year in the National. It's never come close to running out but before the Champion Hurdle I was down to my last E3. But then E2 to win on Buveur D'Air.

Should manage to get through the rest of Cheltenham with this.

Comment

Next year I'm finally going to go. My parents live in Stroud which is less than 20 miles away. The plan is to cycle there and back every day. The Dutchman in me says this will be no problem, even though the return journey every evening might be made slightly under the influence.

Comment

No Mullins / Ricci clogging up the telly so far, which I find most pleasing.

Comment

I hope you haven't been watching the last couple of minutes...

Comment

Mullins/Walsh/Ricci had the same amount of winners on Day 1 as me. One 4th place for this master tipster. They should get off the mark with Douvan tomorrow, not sure about me.

Finish to the Mares Hurdle was the highlight, and the opener being won by a multiple refuser no-mark with a 17 year old jockey was a classic "that's racing" "no-one knows anything" moment.

Impressed with ITV to be honest, nice to see Brough Scott on screen.

Day 2 torn up slips:
                    1.30 Bacardys
                    2.10 Royal Vacation
                    2.50 Tombstone
                    3.30 (Douvan) Garde La Victoire e/w
                    4.10 Cause of Causes
                    4.50 Nietzsche
                    5.30 Western Ryder

Comment

I had only one bet yesterday River Wylde on the 1.30. Came in third at odds of 8-1.

Going to take a wander down the bookies during my coffee break later to put some 50p / £1 / £2 bets on. Then tomorrow evening I'm travelling to Swindon for a couple of nights and then off to Cheltenham for the Gold Cup on Friday. Really getting excited now as I know what I'm going to this time and I can't wait.

Glad to see Mullins hasn't won anything yet.

Comment

jwdd27 wrote:
                        Day 2 torn up slips:
                        I miss doing that, or balling them up and throwing them at the telly in disgust - you can't really chuck your phone across the room when you've had an online bet, can you?

Anyway - taking an antepost 25/1 ew on Cloudy Dreams yesterday covered all my other losers, so today I'm going to be losing on:

2.10 Bellshill
                        2.50 Tombstone
                        4.10 Cantlow
                        4.50 Linger (ew)
                        5.30 Debuchet (ew)

Won't get to watch anything live due to work, unless I watch on my phone while I'm in the bog.

Comment

My bets for the day are:

13:30 Brelade
                          15:30 Fox Norton
                          16:10 Alechi Inois
                          17:30 Someday

Comment

Ho ho, Mullins / Ricci can't even win with Douvan.

Comment

Should have gone each way on Fox Norton, but what a race with Douvan falling like that. Apparently a punter put £500,000 on at 1-5 meaning they would have won £100,000 if Douvan had won. Lost the lot now!

Comment

Mullins seems to have shot it. Wouldn't like to give O'Leary credit for anything, but perhaps he could see things were going downhill.

I had a much better day than my tips would suggest, as Mrs D duplicated a couple of my suggestions so as well as Cause of Causes I had Willoughby Court in the first, and Flying Tiger in the second last at 33-1. Picked on its name only - maybe women are on to something here. Fuck you, Victor Chandler.

Tomorrow I will be mostly opposing anything Mullins.

Comment

Having a few days' work holiday that needed to be taken by the end of March, I've managed to spend the last two days wasting my time in front of the telly and the internet gleaning all I can about this meeting.

Opened my second-ever online account (my other one was with Blue Square, which demonstrates how long ago that was) a few days ago - Betfred. They are proving very patient with my persistent usage of the message board help system.

Had four bets so far. Three that finished ridiculously last or pulled up (Junction Fourteen, Moon Racer and Our Kaempfer), and Tiger Roll o/. Glad I have held back from my hunches, I'd have lost all my money already had I been brave enough to back all the horses I thought would do well, so I am pleased that I am a long-time lurker as far as betting is concerned. I like to watch.

Received an extra £30 worth of free bets as a new user, so have bet a record for me of £10 on Empire of Dirt tomorrow. £10!! If I put £3 on it means I really fancy it!

The very best thing about the Festival so far is the utter lack of success for that wanker Ricci. Glorious. Apple's Jade beating both Limini and VVM was magnificent.

Apart from that, hugely enjoyed Might Bite's race today. And Brough Scott. Absolutely do not enjoy ITV's insistence in spending precious air-time interviewing a token pretty weathergirl just 15 minutes before the Champions Chase, for her to tell us how warm it is there. FFS. Oh, and Matt Chapman's overhyping of Neon Wolf became rather cloying, so I went from wanting it to win to wanting it to lose rather quickly. Ha.

Comment

You know, what gets me about Douvan not winning is why the price didn't begin to slide. The people at the stables and who had seen the horse run in trials would have known there was something wrong. A vet examined Douvan after the race and found the horse to be lame behind. Somebody must have known this horse was not at its best.

Comment

Bets for today are:

1330 Top Notch (came 2nd but only bet for a win)
                                      1410 Jury Duty
                                      1650 Dusky Legend
                                      1730 Potters Legend

Comment

A Mullins/Walsh treble. Like I said, finished.

Luckily Mrs D was not part of my boycott today, so she's picked up a bit for us (me) on Nichols Canyon on a free bet.

Comment

Didn't get to watch anything yesterday or today, so just got in from a work trip to Shipley and catching up on the lot - including today's losing bets on Uxizandre and Cole Harden.

Not sure about the Gold Cup tomorrow - head says Native River, heart says Cue Card, bloke on 5live said Tizzard's horses are out of form...

Comment

Djakadam for the Gold Cup, simply because it fits with the narrative of Mullins' week. Then I'll try to avoid kicking the telly during the inevitable gushing interview before settling down for the splendid chaos that is the Foxhunters.

Comment

Having, on another thread, wondered about the wisdom of ITV ditching Simon Holt for Richard Hoiles as lead commentator, I have to say Hoiles in doing a fantastic job calling the races - he doesn't miss a beat, doesn't repeat much, and has an enthusiasm alongside a sort of discursive style which I really like.

Comment

Totally agree - Holt was doing one of the late races on Racing UK yesterday and although it was a big field, he didn't do a great job. I also really like the way they bring in McCoy, Fitzgerald and Luke whatsit for jockey insight on the back straight.

The dick in the betting ring is the only downside, but he's not that bad in small doses, and his car park interviews on the morning show are good fun.

ITV have done well in avoiding the sort of shit the BBC would pull, i.e. constant interviewing and canvassing of the racegoers, having a fashion correspondent for the ladies, musical montages or dragging in Gary Lineker or Matt Baker.

And they're not trying to be too inclusive for non-racing fans - the sporting drama should be enough to entice a casual viewer to watch and learn.

B+ so far.

Comment

Tell you what, Un de Sceaux was spectacular today, wasn't it? Bloody hell.

Tomorrow I've gone for

1.30 Landofhopeandglory
                                                  2.10 Air Horse One (ew)
                                                  2.50 Wholestone
                                                  3.30 .... still pondering. Have a suspicion that More of That might return to something like his best form but couldn't back him with any confidence. Will probably end up having a sentimental bet on Cue Card.
                                                  4.10 Ask the Weatherman
                                                  4.50 No Comment/ Coo Star Sivola (ew)
                                                  5.30 -

Comment

Working...
                                                  X