Current British World Champions/Major Holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been meaning to see if we can draw up and keep updated a list of current British World Champions or current holders of majors in sports such as Tennis and Golf where the most significant honours are split across different events.

We started one here in 2013 and other names were added in 2014 but that will be out of date now.

I'm really hoping Janik has a big chunk of relevant names at his fingertips again and I will start with the sport that prompted my repeated reflection on the issue ,

Track Cycling

Jason Kenny - Men's Sprint
    Jon Dibben - Men's Scratch Race
    Bradley Wiggins & Mark Cavendish - Madison
    Laura Trott - Women's Omnium & Scratch Race

Road Cycling

Chris Froome - Tour de France winner

Mountain Biking

Rachel Atherton - Women's Downhill World Champion
    Danny Hart - Men's Downhill World Champion
    Jack Carthy - Men's Trials 26" World Champion

Snooker

Mark Selby - Men's World Champion
    Reanne Evans - Women's World Champion

Billiards

Men's Short: David Causier
    Men's Long: Mikey Russell
    Women's: Emma Bonney

Golf

Danny Willett - Masters winner

Tennis

Wimbledon :

Men's Singles - Andy Murray
    Mixed Doubles - Heather Watson (w/ Henri Kontinen)
    Men's Wheelchair Singles - Gordon Reid
    Men's Wheelchair Doubles - Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewitt
    Women's Wheelchair Doubles - Jordanne Whiley (w/ Yui Kamiji)

French Open :

Men's Wheelchair Doubles - Gordon Reid (w/Shingo Kunieda)

Australian Open :

Gordon Reid - Men's Wheelchair Singles

Athletics

Mo Farah - Mens 5000 & 10,000m
    Greg Rutherford - Men's Long Jump
    Jessica Ennis-Hill - Heptathlon

Rowing

Fiona Gammond/Donna Etiebet/Holly Nixon/Holly Norton – women’s four
    Ollie Cook/Callum McBrierty/Henry Fieldman (cox) – men’s coxed pair
    Brianna Stubbs/Emily Craig/Imogen Walsh/Ellie Piggott – lightweight women’s quadruple scull

Darts

Gary Anderson

Diving

Tom Daley & Rebecca Gallantree - Mixed team
    Gary Hunt - Men's high diving

Swimming

Adam Peaty - Men's 100 m & 50m breaststroke
    James Guy - Men's 200 m freestyle
    Fran Halsall/Rachael Kelly/Ross Murdoch/Siobhan-Marie O'Connor/Adam Peaty/Chris Walker-Hebborn - Mixed 4 × 100 m medley relay
    Nicholas Grainger/James Guy/Calum Jarvis/Robbie Renwick/Duncan Scott/Daniel Wallace - Men's 4 × 200 m freestyle relay

Road Cycling:
    Chris Froome - Tour de France (3rd time)
    (Notably absent this year - Lizzie Deignan, née Armitstead)

Mountain Biking:
    Rachel Atherton - Downhill World Cup (5th time), Downhill World Champion (4th time)

Danny Hart - Downhill World Champion
    Jack Carthy - Trials 26" World Champion

Atherton interview - 'Atherton has managed to pull off the improbable and complete the first unbeaten season in the sport’s history'.

By the looks of her twitter feed and Instagram, since that final event on behalf of her team, she has taken up an off-season hobby of outdoor climbing:
    https://www.instagram.com/rachybox/

Not one for taking things easy, then.

Comment

Snooker: Mark Selby

Billiards
      Men's Short: David Causier
      Men's Long: Mikey Russell
      Women's: Emma Bonney

Comment

Updated. I'm glad you pointed me in the direction of the Atherton interview as I'd been meaning to read it. That 'Sport' magazine has become essential reading, which is especially surprising for a freesheet.

Comment

In the golf at the moment we have Danny Willett (Masters champion) and in the tennis, Andy Murray won Wimbledon. Lewis Hamilton is world Formula UOne champion for at least another fortnight, I think.

Comment

I can't follow through on the expectations of the opening post at the moment, but that shouldn't surprise as I made promises to compile a list in the thread three years ago and miserably failed to deliver on that as well.

What I can throw in is there was more than one British winner at Wimbledon this year

The full list of British winners of adult events (i.e. no juniors or seniors considered) was:-
            Men's Singles - Andy Murray
            Mixed Doubles - Heather Watson (w/ Henri Kontinen)
            Men's Wheelchair Singles - Gordon Reid
            Men's Wheelchair Doubles - Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewitt

Reid also won the Aussie Open and Paralympics Singles, and the French Open Doubles. Whiley/Kamiji likewise did the Roland Garros-Wimbledon Doubles double.

Comment

Updated, I am assuming Hewitt was Reid's partner in the French Open too?

I've avoided the Olympics & Paralympics because it's a different thing from World Championships really.

I'll concede this does cause problems in sports like Rowing where the Olympic regatta largely replaces the World Championship in the relevant years leaving a rump Worlds featuring only non-Olympic events (and I have updated with the British winners of those).

Comment

Another snooker one - Reanne Evans is the ladies world champion.

Darts - Gary Anderson. The BDO competition was won by Scott Waites, if that counts.

Comment

How many boxers qualify? Presumably Anthony Joshua but now not Tyson Fury?

Comment

Boxing is always a bit of a mess, I think Britain had around 12/13 world title holders at the turn of the year and one of them was Fury who has officially lost the belts.

I need to go through all the different governing bodies' champions to get a full list.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: Updated, I am assuming Hewitt was Reid's partner in the French Open too?
                      Actually, not. Reid played with Shingo Kunieda in Paris. Meaning both wheelchair doubles events were won by Japan/UK teams.

Comment

This Wiki, while obviously not conclusive, would seem like a useful source.

While inapposite to the current inquiry, my life is richer knowing that Ireland are the current holders of the Pitch and Putt World Cup.

Comment

Danny Hart won the individual race called the World Championship, but Aaron Gwin (USA) is the current Downhill World Cup champion
                          https://dirtmountainbike.com/racing-events/downhill/aaron-gwin-wins-2016-downhill-world-cup-series.html

Not sure why they have single race called the championships when there's already a whole season.

Comment

If it is anything like Track Cycling then the one-off World Championships far outranks any kind of World Cup series of events and the winner of the former is the only person who can be termed World Champion.

Comment

Yes, that is correct. The same was true before this season for women's road racing, and last year Armistead won both the World Cup and the World Championship (as Atherton has done in downhill MTB this year).

Now the women roadies have a World Tour, as the men have had for a fair while. This year Slovakia's Peter Sagan won both the individual World Tour ranking and the World Championship road race, which was a one-off in Qatar. But again, it's that which makes him the World Champion. "World Tour" is a more representative name for the season's calendar of main races than "World Cup" is, for my money.[/digression]

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: If it is anything like Track Cycling then the one-off World Championships far outranks any kind of World Cup series of events and the winner of the former is the only person who can be termed World Champion.
                                That doesn't make any sense. hat's like saying that F1 drivers care more about winning - pick any single race - than the points championship. Performing well over many weeks on many different tracks is a more impressive achievement than winning just once. And, as professionals trying to make a living at it, you're expected to risk life and limb (at least limb) every week because people are paying to come watch.

I don't think it's the same anyway. In track cycling, every race is fairly similar so competitors can work their way toward peaking at one event at the end. Swimming and track are like that too.

But downhill biking is more like skiing in that every track is different. There's also a fairly large chance of crashing, as Gwin did in the World Championship race.

Comment

It's not the same as F1. The points for each race in F1 count in the driver's World Championship - that is how that sport determines its world champion. But in cycling disciplines they don't hand out rainbow jerseys and gold medals for anything other than the showpiece one-off World Championship races.

This is true even for road racing, where every race is different - some are flat, some are hilly, some are cobbled, some are windy, some go up mountains, some come down mountains ... different years will suit different riders, for sure, but it's still how the world champion is determined.

Perhaps there is an analogue with the MLS Shield and MLS Cup here?

Comment

The swimming champions are listed here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain_at_the_2015_World_Aquatics_Champions hips
                                    7 golds - though 2 of those are relay teams and I'm not sure if you're doing them

Comment

Atherton's run was captured on a GoPro if anyone would care to see it, btw.
                                      https://[video=youtube_share;eRlgkF3...?v=eRlgkF3cL6o[/video]

Comment

Fuck. I hit 3 trees and got a sore arse just watching that.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote:

It's not the same as F1. The points for each race in F1 count in the driver's World Championship - that is how that sport determines its world champion. But in cycling disciplines they don't hand out rainbow jerseys and gold medals for anything other than the showpiece one-off World Championship races.

This is true even for road racing, where every race is different - some are flat, some are hilly, some are cobbled, some are windy, some go up mountains, some come down mountains ... different years will suit different riders, for sure, but it's still how the world champion is determined.

Perhaps there is an analogue with the MLS Shield and MLS Cup here?
                                          They can call it whatever they like and hand out whatever shirts. It just doesn't make sense to give it more prestige. It would be like treating the FA Cup as more important than winning the Premier League, which nobody does anymore.

I think the comparison might be the US Cup vs the MLS Cup. Winning the Supporters Shield is only great if you also win MLS Cup. If you win that and lose in the playoffs, you just feel extra bad. Some people here are trying to make the Supporters Shield a bigger deal, but we're used to playoffs.

In road racing, the World Championship is a nice thing to win, but it's not as prestigious as the Tour, is it?

In skiing, as I understand it, winning the cup series is more respected than the biennial world championships. Of course, the olympics gets a lot of publicity, but inside the sport, I'd imagine there's more respect for being able to survive the grind of a whole season.

Hockey has an annual "World Championships" too but nobody think's it's anything of the sort.

Comment

You might not personally agree with it HP but it is the fact that the only people who can be deemed World Champions (inside or outside the sport) in any cycling discipline are those with Rainbow Jerseys.

Of course Road Cycling has a weird situation where they have a series of "majors" (where one is more major than the others) which are more important than the Worlds but they aren't the kind of series you describe above either.

Even then, there is huge importance in the Road Race World Championship and a rider like Cavendish who will never win a Grand Tour derives great kudos from winning it.

Comment

Sailing (Finn class) - Giles Scott is the World Champion.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: You might not personally agree with it HP but it is the fact that the only people who can be deemed World Champions (inside or outside the sport) in any cycling discipline are those with Rainbow Jerseys.

Of course Road Cycling has a weird situation where they have a series of "majors" (where one is more major than the others) which are more important than the Worlds but they aren't the kind of series you describe above either.

Even then, there is huge importance in the Road Race World Championship and a rider like Cavendish who will never win a Grand Tour derives great kudos from winning it.
                                                [IMG]/converted_files/media/kunena/attachments/22950/4eb5112c88e345776234b2ce0a0f4d50.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                                                X