Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just state my unease with the Paralympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It comes around each time Channel 4 start up their massive "Yes I Can" thing, really. And it's this.

The Paralympics seems to be really a first world thing, doesn't it? David Weir in his state-of-the-art wheelchair, Ellie Simmonds practising in an Olympic pool. Are disabled athletes from third world countries properly represented and supported? Is there a Fijian wheelchair rugby team?

It might just be me but it feels a bit like those early, Edwardian, Olympics, where Britain, France and the USA swept up all the medals and congratulated each other for beating all the rest over glasses of champagne.

Romania's only Paralympic medallist (gold and silver in London ) is from my town. About the poorest part of one of the poorest countries in Europe

Comment

If that helps

Comment

Is the medal table for the Paralympics any more "first world" dominated than that for the Olympics?

I don't know how you define "first world" but in 2012 China topped the medal table, Ukraine was fourth with 32 golds and 84 medals in total, Brazil seventh with 21/43, Iran 11th with 10/24, Tunisia fourteenth with 9/19 and Cuba 15th with 9/17.

I seem to remember you trying very hard to find objections to the Paralympics in 2012, why not just watch the sport or ignore the whole thing?

Comment

Wheelchair rugby is the most epic sport known to mankind. For that reason alone, these games have the right to be.

For some reason, the Dutch rights holder decided to only live stream the bronze and gold medal games (which are both being played while I am on an airplane), but none of the preceding matches. Any hints on where to find access to feeds are greatly appreciated.

Comment

I've mentioned the C4 streams on the dedicated Rio thread, Wouter. Don't know if you have a VPN and can watch them.

Edit : in fact, I've just stuck a YouTube link up there too.

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: I've mentioned the C4 streams on the dedicated Rio thread, Wouter. Don't know if you have a VPN and can watch them.

Edit : in fact, I've just stuck a YouTube link up there too.
              Cheers! Lovely.

Comment

I'll be abstaining from the paralympics.

I'm troubled by the classification issues, which are open to real abuse now the paralympics are big time, with professional funding behind them.

And I'm uneasy with the Prince Harry's brave Invictus ex-serviceman side of it, where a disability gained while killing children is seen by some as a symbol of courage and inspiration.

Comment

I can still remember when the Spanish basketball team cheated at the 2000 Olympics, by fielding a team of normal players of average ability.

Comment

Seriously, trimster? 'normal'?

Comment

WTF do you mean by "seriously, trimster, normal"?

Normal, as opposed to intellectually impaired.

Comment

Yep, I'm aware of what happened. It was the implication that the other athletes in the competition weren't 'normal' that I was objecting to.

Comment

I recently heard somebody on the radio make some comment about how 'normal' people 'needed to start accepting homosexuality in society'.

How to scupper your own point, eh?

Or indeed emphasise it.

Comment

Wheelchair rugby is the most epic sport known to mankind
                            Similarly, wheelchair basketball is at least 20 times more interesting than 'normal' basketball.

Comment

It might just be me but it feels a bit like those early, Edwardian, Olympics, where Britain, France and the USA swept up all the medals and congratulated each other for beating all the rest over glasses of champagne.
                              But that's what the olympics is like now.

Comment

Trimster is Owen Smith an ICMFP

"Normal, as opposed to intellectually impaired."

Er, WTF? Intellectually impaired?

Comment

In answer to Rogin's initial question, yes, you can state your unease, but you do run the risk of sounding like Alan Partridge.

Comment

N est à? wrote: Trimster is Owen Smith an ICMFP

An athlete classification phrase used by that notorious bastion of prejudice, the International Paralympic Committee.

Comment

Huh. Clearly the details of the Spanish basketball controversy passed me by. So what did they do, send a team with no physical disability, and claim they were intellectually impaired when they weren't? I presume they still had to use wheelchairs, right?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair fan wrote:
                                        The Paralympics seems to be really a first world thing, doesn't it? David Weir in his state-of-the-art wheelchair, Ellie Simmonds practising in an Olympic pool. Are disabled athletes from third world countries properly represented and supported? Is there a Fijian wheelchair rugby team?

Well yeah, not the Paralympics but sports in general.

Can you imagine if, say, the Jamaicans, Ethiopians & Kenyans had money to spend on cycling or rowing?
                                        Especially,the former, reckon they knock the Brits (and other Europeans) into a cocked hat.

Comment

It wasn't Wheelchair Basketball, but in another class of the sport. Which got dropped for following Games after the controversy.

Comment

Sam wrote: Yep, I'm aware of what happened. It was the implication that the other athletes in the competition weren't 'normal' that I was objecting to.
                                            It was referred to as "intellectually impaired basketball" in the Olympic histories. I'm simply trying to put my info over in as few words as possible- I'd prefer to write "normal" then "non-intellectually impaired" its quicker.

Seriously Sam, get a life.

Comment

N est à? wrote: Trimster is Owen Smith an ICMFP

That's what it's called on the websites about the Olympics. What would you call it, dickhead?

Comment

I wasn't aware of intellectually impaired basketball, so sorry for my 'WTF?' there trimster.

Comment

N est à? wrote: I wasn't aware of intellectually impaired basketball, so sorry for my 'WTF?' there trimster.
                                                  Sorry for calling you a dickhead. This topic is like treading on eggshells....

Comment

Working...
                                                  X