No announcement yet.

Handball 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well. That was a game. Musa scores with 3 seconds left of the second half of the second set of extra time to win the game for Croatia.

Comment

Spain best Slovenia fairly easily although it got a little tense towards the end.

Croatia Spain is just about to throw off.

Comment

The Post Office will be thrilled

Comment

And that's two in row for Spain, and they came second in 2016, third in 2014 and fourth in 2012

Comment

I missed this at the time, but part of the merchandise range at last years Final Four was a European Handball Federation produced "Ein Kinderkrimi". A proper childrens crime novel (150 pages) called Die Handball-Detektive: Alarm in der Arena.

UEFA are behind the curve here.

Comment

I don't understand the technicalities or the politics of this move

Approval of departure from ASOBAL

The Board of Directors have approved FC Barcelona no longer being a member of the Association of Spanish Handball Clubs (ASOBAL) as the Club announced on 30 June. The Bar?a handball team will continue to take part in all the Spanish domestic competitions given that the Spanish Handball Federation (RFEBM) approved in their last General Meeting celebrated in June that it is not obligatory to be a member of the ASOBAL in order to take part in the competitions.

Comment

Nor do I, and there isn't much on it in the BCN press

Comment

https://twitter.com/oliverpreben/status/1366800570657423367

Handball has rolling substitutions. If you sub on when there are already the correct number of players on the pitch you'll be given a 2 minute suspension. If you get a third 2 min you get sent off (your team can go up to full strength after the two minutes is up.

So here Marsenic's colleagues spot that he shouldn't come on but can't grab him in time to stop him getting sent off for a faulty sub.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EHFEURO/status/1371175138335539203

What a buzzer beater from Nederland to beat Poland.

Comment

I never before realised that handball could benefit from a clock that used tens of seconds in the last minute and/or a light behind the goals (see the NBA's backboard lighting)

Comment

It doesn't come up that often but it isn't an unusual occurrence. Due to a lack of a shot clock it only comeinto play at ends of halves.

There is a low level hum about introducing a shot clock, if you have possession with a couple of minutes left its fairly easy to game to current rules to safely kill time. Everyone recognises that it's an issue but a good number of people don't like the shot clock solution even if they can't offer their own.

Comment

The margins in high level competitions are often close enough that one can see how it wouldn't be a one off.

I hadn't realised that there wasn't a shot clock of some kind. That would seem to be an issue.

Comment

Yeah, if referees determine that the team in possession aren't being dynamic enough they can signal "passive play'. After that the team has six passes, then the ball is turned over.

A shot where possession is retained can reset the passive but might not, depending on what happened in the shot.

The team in possession can eat up time by dribbling, forcing a foul which eats up time, things like that.

There was a game a couple of seasons ago where PSG managed to win by 1 goal after killing over two minutes on a possession.

The main issue with a shot clock is that defensive tackles and resetting would eat up the time on the clock where there can't be any attacking. You could get around it by stopping the clock but people have seen the NBA and they don't like it. Handball teams have three timeouts per game, no more than two per half and only one in the last five minutes. They can only be called when you have possession.

Comment

I am old enough to have seen a reasonable volume of college basketball before they adopted a shot clock.

It was a completely different sport, with halftime scores in the single digits being a thing.

Comment

I wish there was an english language history of Handball. When you look at the early Indoor world and european champoinships the final scores were much lower. And then you have the fact that it was initially an outdoor game with the indoor version an off season spin off.

The game is a bit wary of major rule changes after the substitution rules were changed a few years ago. The old rules were that you had to have someone in a goalkeepers jersey on the pitch at all times. So teams would occasionally put an out field player on the pitch in a GK shirt with a hole for their number to show through. There is a massive benefit to being a player up in attack. But, this mean that if you needed your keeper to come on quickly that player in the jersey had to be the one to sub off.

The new rule changed so that anyone could sub off for a keeper. No more messing about with bibs/jerseys and much easier to get a keeper on in a rush as the nearest player to the bench can dash off rather than a specific one. But it's not entirely worked, it's not made the game more dynamic. If you're defending with 6 against 7 then there is only one formation that's worth using (I can't remember what it is, it's either 6-0 or 5-1) so there is less tactical variety and there's only so much excitement from seeing teams score on an empty net after a turnover.

Comment

Champions League Final will be Barcelona-Aalborg after Barca beat Nantes and the Danes eliminate PSG

Comment

Barca win easily and complete a perfect season

61 played in domestic and European competition, 61 won

Comment

They are a ridiculous collection of talent. Not just the first 7 but all 16.

Comment

What a picture

https://twitter.com/HandballHour/status/1404146021492535299

Comment

https://twitter.com/EHFEURO/status/1447221896685182984?t=bJaysWfRAoSh9dTIMTWT6Q

I don't think I've ever seen an indoor running track around a pitch before.

Comment

Indoor tracks aren't that popular in strong handball countries and somewhat vice versa (they are reasonably common in the US, for instance).

Comment

The Men's World Championships, co-hosted by Poland and Sweden (and streamed on ESPN+ in the US), are currently in the group stage.

I am somewhat surprised that the match between France and Slovenija is being played in a mostly empty arena in Katowice.

Comment

It seems really hit and miss as to which groups of fans are going to games. There isn't a legal way to watch them in the UK Viaplay seems to be the UK rights holders for £15 per month.

https://twitter.com/RasmusBoysen92/status/1614534038903050244?s=20

This was rather concerning.
                                                Last edited by Levin; 17-01-2023, 11:20.

Comment

I was only able to watch the first half of Slovenija-France, but the number of penalties whistled really interfered with the flow of the game.

Comment

It is one of the problems the sport has. That's one of the forms that a strong defence can take, and it isn't good to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X