No announcement yet.

Handball 2016/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling a bit more confident after the first leg. GD won by 4 which is nice but today isn't a foregone conclusion.

I idly looked up who the winner will play and it turns out it's Donbas. From Donetsk. Where there is a war.

There isn't much in English about them but they do appear to be still based in Donetsk. Any Ukrainian speakers (or I guess Russian given where they're from) who can confirm?

Comment

They seem to be a rebrand of HC Shakthar, who were in last year’s Challenge Cup and played both legs of their tie against Luxembourgeois opposition in Luxembourg.

I can’t imagibe the EHF asking anyone to travel to Donbass.

Comment

That's a different team I think. GD or Livingston have been drawn to play against this team

Comment

Look at the Former Club Nanes at the top right

Comment

Ah I see. I'm sorry for doubting the collective.

23 all draw sees GD win. I know it's not against proper European competition but it's quite something.

Comment

Final of the European Women's Handball Championship today, 5.30pm (French time) between France (current world champion) and Russia (current olympic champion).

Funny hands-on technology used by TV2 Danmark:

Thanks to the "iball", speed has been recorded, some seriously shots in there (>100 km/h), the 1st one in the footage below by Dutch player Lois Abbingh (in yesterday’s semi-final vs France) was recorded at 108 km/h, it’s so fast you can hardly see the ball.

Should be a good game today. In the 2016 Olympics final, Russia beat France 22-19, the Russians reached the final for the 1st time after a most dramatic and physical semi-final vs favourites Norway. (38-37 in extra time, Russian goal in the last second). Neither country has ever won the Euros (1st final for France, 2nd one for Russia).

The 2 teams met in the group phase, Russia won 26-23:

Comment

Superb match so far between France and Russia (I should say between France and Rostov-Don as 80% of the Russian players play there), very physical and technical, superb wing play.

Comment

Never a red card

Comment

What a game, such intensity, in front of 14,000 spectators. Which means that in the last 8 international competitions (Worlds 2017, Euros 2016 & 2018, Olympics 2016), France Men & Women have been on the rostrum 7 times out of 8: 3 golds, 2 silvers, 2 bronzes (the only reverse being the Men's 2016 Euros, 5th).

Comment

An excellent game and tournament. It was great that the final could go either way pretty much until the final minute.

I fell so sorry for Allison Pineau though. It was, by the strictest interpretation of the rules a red card but very harsh. The rule is the only one keepers have protecting them against getting hit in the face, and even then only on 7m throws.

Norway will be disappointed with 5th though. They'd won 26 games in a row before the tournament and have an incredible record in the Euros. This was the 13th edition of the competition and they have won 7, come 2nd three times and 3rd once.

Comment

Real shame that Romania lost Cristina Neagu and that she didn't get to play in the semi and the 3rd place game. It was a huge blow and I think with her, they could have gone all the way.

Comment

Oh they definitely missed her but I think even with Neagu they wouldn't have gone on to win the thing. It looks like a bad injury as well which might keep her out for a while. In which case it may affect CSM București's Champions League chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                            An excellent game and tournament. It was great that the final could go either way pretty much until the final minute.

I fell so sorry for Allison Pineau though. It was, by the strictest interpretation of the rules a red card but very harsh. The rule is the only one keepers have protecting them against getting hit in the face, and even then only on 7m throws.
                            I didn't actually see it as it was just after the break and I came back late for the 2nd half. Looking back at that 7-metre throw incident, it does look a tad harsh as the Russian goalie moved her head slightly. If the refs cannot establish for certain a violation, and I think that's the case here, the rules should allow for the taker to be given a 2-minute suspension. But Pineau is a very experienced player and should never have tried to place it there.

Comment

Working...
                            X