UK ranking in Olympic medal tables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the UK's current stunning performance, it seems to an ignoramus such as myself that we have a chance of ending in our current 2nd place in the medals table, fending off the challenge of China for that spot. I've no idea though whether the remaining medal awards are in sports which favour us over the Chinese or vice versa.

Whatever, we seem likely at least to match the 3rd place we got as host nation in 2012, which was a stunning result, improving on an already stellar 4th spot in Beijing 2008.

To give that some context for contrast purposes: in each of Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000 the UK came 10th. In Atlanta 1996, the UK came 36th: 15 medals but only one of them gold.

This is golds, rather than total medals, isn't it?

GB currently leads China by two golds, but trails by seven overall.

A remarkable feature of the GB haul is that it includes 14 sports. No other country has reached ten.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: This is golds, rather than total medals, isn't it?

GB currently leads China by two golds, but trails by seven overall.

A remarkable feature of the GB haul is that it includes 14 sports. No other country has reached ten.
      That's how it's always ranked including by the IOC

Comment

NBC, because it is utterly perverse and moronic and backward and stupid and tries as hard as possible to do everything Olympic related wrong, does it as a total medal count, so a bronze is worth the same as a gold to them.

Comment

I know that's the more common method, but the US, USSR, China and DDR, among others, all have previous when it comes to publicising the "better" figure.

Comment

San B: yes, including giving the distances and heights in feet and inches, as if metric is too difficult to cope with.

Comment

Evariste Euler Gauss wrote: From the UK's current stunning performance, it seems to an ignoramus such as myself that we have a chance of ending in our current 2nd place in the medals table, fending off the challenge of China for that spot. I've no idea though whether the remaining medal awards are in sports which favour us over the Chinese or vice versa.

Whatever, we seem likely at least to match the 3rd place we got as host nation in 2012, which was a stunning result, improving on an already stellar 4th spot in Beijing 2008.

To give that some context for contrast purposes: in each of Athens 2004 and Sydney 2000 the UK came 10th. In Atlanta 1996, the UK came 36th: 15 medals but only one of them gold.
              I must admit to being excited to see if we can hang on to second sport.

It looks like China's main medal events lie towards to beginning of the tournament: they only garnered two golds in the last four days at London 2012.

They appear to have a player in the final of one of the badminton competitions and one of their women's golfers is three shots off of the lead going into the final rounds but unless they have a good couple of days in the athletics I can't really see too many other possibilities for them.

Comment

There's a time-lag between results and international perceptions, so I wonder whether/when this will translate into received wisdom like "the Aussies are good at sport", "the Germans know how to win", etc. It could take a while.

When England went out of the Euros there was the usual response (certainly usual if you live in Australia or New Zealand) that the "Poms" are rubbish at the games they invented ha ha losers!!11! ... OK, so idiots on radio talkback or online forums aren't worth taking seriously, but it does represent a widespread view from those who only follow a variety of international sport in headlines and highlights (which is most people).

I'd say that 2000 - 2008 barely registered beyond the UK (the Olympics are always filtered through a national lens, unlike single sport World Cups), and it was only in London that GB/England (sorry folks, no distinction made) became less of a laughing stock. Now it's "how did that happen?", a story that's two decades old but only getting attention now.

For comparison, consider "calypso cricket" or "jogo bonito". If you're a hack on a deadline manning the sports desk, you've probably stopped using the former, but you still churn out the latter, even if it's just as outdated. So despite GB's Olympic success, it could take a while before global gobs become unsmacked.

Comment

'GB', rather than 'UK'.

Comment

China are also in the women's volleyball final and will challenge in the men's 10m platform.

Comment

I am currently enjoying the "If......was an Olympic nation..." comparisons. The South Wales Echo/Western Mail, in typically Stalinist style, have Wales as the second best Olympic nation in the world and, apparently, University Of Bath would come 39th in the medal tables with 1 gold and 4 silvers. I went to the other one so can't claim any link.

Comment

Jah Womble wrote: 'GB', rather than 'UK'.
                        Or in 1980, the proud nation of BOA ...

Comment

And the lead is now three, following Liam Heath's gold in the kayak singles.

Comment

Long Chen wins the Men's Badminton gold for China, but Nicola Adams' boxing gold restores GB's lead to three.

China's odds for catching GB are getting increasingly long.

Comment

So what are China's gold medal prospects? 10m diving for sure. Anything in the boxing, wrestling, taekwondo? What about the rhythmic gymnastics?

We've got Mo Farah and Joe Joyce with a chance of gold, is that about it? The women's 4x400?

Comment

Zheng Shuyin beats Bianca Walkden in the taekwondo +67kg semi-final. China's odds for catching GB shorten?

Comment

Aisen Chen wins the 10m platform easily to cut the GB lead to two.

Comment

Bordeaux Education wrote: I am currently enjoying the "If......was an Olympic nation..." comparisons. The South Wales Echo/Western Mail, in typically Stalinist style, have Wales as the second best Olympic nation in the world and, apparently, University Of Bath would come 39th in the medal tables with 1 gold and 4 silvers. I went to the other one so can't claim any link.
                                    I think California, and certain universities in California, would rank better than a lot of countries there.

For this Olympics, Penn State is up to three bronze, one silver, two players on a team bronze and one more chance for three to get a team bronze. Not bad. Disappointing that neither volleyball team got it done, but not bad. I think there were like 30 PSU Olympians and coaches all told in this games.

I don't really think counting up medals across all sports is nearly as worthwhile an endeavor as the media and certain propagandists would have us think, both because of the team vs individual issue and because there's nothing wrong with a country caring more about some sports than others.

If we're going to do it, then there should be some more weight on winning beautiful gold, than so-so silver or shameful bronze. But it's not clear why those weights should be 3 pts, 2 pts, 1 pt. Or, for that matter, why only medals count. Finishing third shouldn't count for infinitely more glory than fourth. Maybe go 10 for first, on down to 1 for 10th?

It's an example of the failings of object-subject duality, innit?

Comment

I have just realised that the important competition now is not just between Britain and China.

It's a three way struggle between Britain, China and the US.

Who has the most gold medals in Not-Swimming?

GB - 25
                                      US - 25
                                      China - 23

Comment

Good at football, no medals: Uruguay, Chile, Ecuador, Iceland.

Good at cricket, no medals: Pakistan, Bangladesh.

Good at rugby, no medals: Samoa, Tonga.

Comment

The USA ripped everyone a new one in the athletics with 13 golds out of a possible 46, 7 ahead of Jamaica with 6 and Kenya with 5.

Comment

You know you've overdosed on Olympic drugs when you start looking up the finalists in rhythmic gymnastics to see if China can get another gold there (no). Clearly it's time to go cold Turkey (how many medals they got, eh?).

Comment

Here's a new one. The Trott/Kenny household ranks alongside Kenya, Croatia and Cuba in the golds table

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: NBC, because it is utterly perverse and moronic and backward and stupid and tries as hard as possible to do everything Olympic related wrong, does it as a total medal count, so a bronze is worth the same as a gold to them.
                                                Ah, the Olympic medal table brought to you by McDonalds?

Comment

Billions won by Americans

Comment

Working...
                                                  X