Vuelta a España & Tour of Britain 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-hashing the thread title that served us well in 2015 and 2014, and this time posted in the correct forum first time.

After a bit of speculation as to which of the two he will do, it seems that Froome really wants to scratch that Vuelta itch as soon as he can. I'm sure that once he has a maillot rojo of his own he will one day ride the Tour of Britain but it's a shame he has chosen not to do it this year. The way Wiggins did that in 2012 after winning the TdF and Olympic gold made it a real meet-the-public moment, and then of course he won it the year after.

That edition, 2013, included the Haytor stage finish, where Simon Yates announced his arrival on the road cycling scene after transitioning from the track. And Haytor is back this time. There is also a 15km time trial in Bristol on a double stage day, so we can hope that this will lead to a more exciting race than last year's edition.

There will be ten of the World Tour teams and ten taken from the Pro-Conti and Conti levels, as well as a 'Team GB'. The lineup of teams is mouthwateringly good in terms of standard, though it looks like Raleigh and Pedal Heaven are missing out.

But, it's still some time away yet.

4 September Glasgow – Castle Douglas
    5 September Carlisle – Kendal
    6 September Congleton – Tatton Park
    7 September Denbigh – Builth Wells
    8 September Aberdare – Bath
    9 September Sidmouth – Haytor
    10 September Bristol
    11 September London

The Vuelta starts sooner, of course. It runs from Saturday 20 August to Sunday 11 September.

It's a very north-heavy route and, in true Vuelta style, the first week stages labelled as 'flat' are not really flat.

The first week looks draining enough, but weeks two and three are hard as nails. Here are some of the key stages.

Contador is bound to be there. It looks like Froome will, too. Tejay van Garderen has expressed a desire to do it as well. Chaves must also be in with a good chance, and presumably Quintana will try his luck too after a (relatively) disappointing Tour.

Maps for the ToB stages here.

Comment

I was just checking out the information for this years (tenth!) Tour of Szekelyfold. 18 teams entered this year which is the biggest ever, and as I'm around I'm thinking this year of cycling up to one of the hilltops on the route to watch them come over (I've watched the finish line sprints before but not the climbs). I'll go to Nyerges Teto on day 1 (Thursday) which will be (a) a good place to watch; and (b) a good workout for me. (See here for stage info) http://www.csikisport.ro/english/2016szI.html
      This tour is almost always won by a Ukrainian, I have no idea why. Local interest is in the Tusnad cycling team, sadly not featuring our local gold medalist paralympian Ede Novak this year as he'll be preparing to defend his title in Rio.

Comment

Contador came back from injury and his TdF withdrawal by winning the Tour of Burgos last week. Expect he'll win the Vuelta again on this basis.

Froome is still in Rio and won't have the time to do much (any?) specific training for this race in the meantime - it requires slightly different skills what with the shorter, steeper ramp climbs. Worth remembering he's ridden this race four times and never actually won the thing.

Think we'll see Aru too, there was some talk he'd be sent here effectively as "punishment" for July. Purito won't be present - he retired on Saturday.

On the Tour of Britain, the organisers decided to only invite a selection of the British Conti teams this year. This meant they introduced a qualification classification through the domestic road season, which has been much criticised as it apparently led to a lot of negative racing and teams defending seventh places and the like.

Comment

We're supposed to be in Bath on the day the 5th stage finishes (completely coincidentally!) so will probably try and get to watch that. Not sure how patient a 1 year old will be with waiting for the cyclists to arrive.

Comment

Starts tomorrow then, what is always a low key build up has been especially so this year what with the Olympics.

Froome has decided to ride, though I don’t expect he’s done much in terms of seeing the key climbs or specific training. Interestingly the Sky support doesn’t feature anyone who did the Tour, though it does include riders such as Konig and Kwiatkowski (there’s someone who needs a result)
            Contador hasn’t confirmed a team for next season but leads Tinkoff in the meantime, he’s fully recovered from his Tour injuries.
            Movistar have got joint leadership again with Quintana and Valverde so will be doubtless dusting off their Big Book Of Daft Tactics.
            Tejay van Garderen and Warren Barguil are both starting, presumably to try and save their season after flopping in July.
            Esteban Chaves skipped the Tour and will be looking to follow up his great ride here last year.
            Also look forward to seeing Kruijswijk after he nearly won the Giro.
            For an assortment of reasons, none of last year’s podium are starting.

No-one has brought a frontline sprinter what with the exceptionally hilly route, so any group finishes could be fun. Real opportunity for some riders to take a rather soft Grand Tour stage win.

Five Brits on the start line, Froome and Pete Kennaugh for Sky, Simon Yates for Orica (he signed a new contract there earlier this week), and there’s Grand Tour debuts for Scott Thwaites (Bora) and Hugh Carthy (Caja Rural). Carthy has got some decent results in mountainous races and has already signed for Cannondale next year.

Comment

Meanwhile, the Tour of Britain has been sending their mascot out to look lonely.

Comment

Kwia starts his bid to get a result by joining the stage 2 sprint to bag the red jersey. This after Sky and Movistar posted the same time in the stage 1 TTT, so he was competing with Rojas and others for placings to get the race lead. A mechanical problem messed up Astana's TTT, but they have sent neither of their big guns to this. Contador already has nearly a minute to make up, and Kruijswijk about half that. Froome, Movistar, Chaves and Van Garderen are best placed overall.

Meersman won a very messy sprint. Gilbert is showing off a nice Belgian champion's jersey too in the video but the four man break he was in didn't hold.

https://[video=youtube_share;kypYsNh...?v=kypYsNhHU_8[/video]

Comment

Today's finale is something of a wall...

One for Valverde, I should think.

Comment

This sounds like one of those silly climbs the Vuelta organisers rustle up that turns into a ramp test rather than an actual race. But, yes, appears Valverde-esque at first glance.

Comment

Interestingly it looks like Kennaugh, who wore the first red jersey, asked Kwia if he wanted to be set up for the sprint. I guess he reckoned Kwia has a better shot of staying in it today, perhaps, or he just wanted to share the wealth. Both riders will be glad of a bit of glory this year.

Comment

I suspect Sky thought Kwia getting involved was their best chance of keeping hold of the jersey given that Rojas was on the same time and can still just about sprint.

Comment

Well that was all very intense. Glad one of the breakaway stayed clear. And not sure how Froome got back after the last sight was of him dropped

Comment

1497 Days since Direct Energie won a stage in a grand tour. I presume they haven't been in every one since then

Comment

Lilian Calmejane (no, I've never heard of him either) has won today's stage, so French riders have already managed more stage wins than they did in the Tour. Atapuma is apparently now in the lead.

Comment

Seemed like a really nice bloke when they interviewed him afterwards.

Comment

Simon Yates has just soloed to the stage win, thus beating his brother to a first Grand Tour stage.

Comment

I haven't been on top of this at all, apologies. But it's all shaping up rather nicely, isn't it.

Comment

Just watched yesterday's stage. Not sure what Froome was up to there, apart from the fact that he clearly doesn't have either the form or team support he did in July. (Why did Kwia abandon by the way?) Looks like he's trying to limit losses and get as much as he can in the time trial.

Quintana looks much better now that he hasn't spent the first week being frazzled by a nervous bunch, the way that he controlled things was very impressive.

Valverde's going well isn't he? Especially given that he's already been competitive at the Giro and Tour and won Fleche.

Comment

Team WIGGINS have just named their Tour of Britain line up. Obviously Sir Brad is there, but so is Owain Doull. Doull is meant to be at Sky as a stagaire until the end of the season, but the teams have bent the rules to get a bigger Sky presence in the race. Not the first time this has happened.

Comment

Superb Vuelta stage today including a fine ambush by Orica, Yates got a big chunk of time and is now 4th overall. Gesink won the stage, pleased for him, but surprised to learn that was his first Grand Tour stage win.

Quintana didn't gain any time on Froome, the latter must be race favourite now. Hard not to think that Contador is past his best.

Most of the stage took place in France. Bet we see a near identical day in the Tour very soon.

Comment

I like Chris Froome.

There I've said it.

Anyone else?

Comment

Yes. I'm a convert.

But he really should ride the ToB soon; I think it has helped the reputation of a lot of other British riders.

Comment

The half surprise yesterday was the collapse of Valverde. He lost so much time that he's almost out of the top ten.
                                                La Vuelta is again proving to be the best grand tour.

Comment

Why the sudden conversion to Froome, did anything happen to change your minds?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X