A spot of forgiveness: England v Pakistan 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 runs off the last 2 overs for England to break the ODI world record.

Comment

And they get there, last ball. 444-3!

Comment

Wow.

Alex Hales was kinda holding things up.

Comment

I'd say Pakistan are mentally on the plane home but they've actually got back, done the holiday laundry, gone in to the the office, cleared their inbox and had their photos back from Boots.

Comment

Among the reasons for this to make me happy is that I feel better when the victims of run-total records aren't Associate Members.

It's kind of wrong that spanking the Netherlands in Amstelveen is the same as spanking Pakistan at Trent Bridge or Australia at the Wanderers.

Comment

diggedy derek wrote: Wow.

Alex Hales was kinda holding things up.
              Joe Root with a pedestrian 85 from 86 balls. What was he doing out there?

Comment

This is where limited overs cricket is a real let down - there was literally zero chance of Pakistan chasing this, even before they started, so half the match is entirely pointless and completely devoid of any tension.

At least with a test match, the team batting second can look to battle through three days and escape with a draw when faced with a massive total. Whereas this is like a slow death.

Comment

Yeah, when they still had Afridi there was a 1% chance that he would do something extraordinary, but Sarfraz Ahmed is the only one in this team who could score at the required rate, and you need a bare minimum of two.

Comment

Some decent biffing at the end from Yasir and Amir, but the contest had ended about 30 overs before that. England take the series - 3-0 up with two to play.

Comment

Nice to see a Welshman scoring the winning runs at a Sophia Gardens international match. When was the last time it happened?

Comment

If you count this as an international, it was probably this game: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/2062244.stm

Though it doesn't say who scored the final runs. It could have been Hemp (Bermudan) or Kallis (South African)

Comment

Oh, thanks for that. Kallis or Steve James with the winning runs if I'm reading the scorecard right.

Comment

James was born in Gloucestershire...

It's possible that a Welsh born player has never before hit the winning runs in an international match in Wales.

Comment

I knew he was born in Lydney but thought he was still genuine Welsh...and I'd take that, to be honest.

I was more pointing out that it couldn't have been Hemp with the runs though.

Comment

England are clearly shit at one day cricket and need to bring back Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson.

Comment

So you know who to blame, this appeared on the BBC live blog during the preamble:

Comment

What a fantastic summer of international cricket this has been. Cheers Pakistan, you've been great

Comment

Working...
                                    X