Great Scott? Masters 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unlikely to be one of the busier threads in Sport, but let's get this year's Masters discussion under way.

Much is being made of the strong likelihood of one of the current Big Three - Jason Day, Jordan Spieth and Rory McIlroy - strolling around green-clad come Sunday evening, but I'm not so sure about that. As ever, anyone can have a couple of bad rounds at Augusta.

So as to ensure full embarrassment later on, I'm going to log my 8 (EIGHT) each-way £1 picks now. (My bookie of choice is paying out top eight.)

Dustin Johnson
    Rickie Fowler
    Charl Schwartzel
    Danny Willett
    Marc Leishmann
    Brandt Snedeker
    Brooks Koepka
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat (long shot)

...plus another £1 on either Day or McIlroy to win, as some semblence of cover.

Don't rate the chances of Spieth or Watson at all this year.

Of course, given the above, Adam Scott will come through and win... hence the thread title. Fate? I tempt it.

As ever, I wish for El Pato, smoking and swearing his way in Rioplantese Spanish through 72 holes.

Comment

Damn you Rogin (edit: oops! I mean AB, of course, but my instinct is always that Rogin starts these threads). I was looking for this thread on Sunday when some friends were creating their Masters Sweepstakes and I had no idea who to back. Now I've got Rory, because you hadn't steered me right yet.

Comment

I've got a funny feeling about Schwartzel, too, like AB. Also about Hideki Matsuyama, who finished fifth round this course last year.

It'll be Bubba Watson again, though.

Comment

Augusta security strikes again.

Nicklaus raised his badge to present it to the man working the gate.

"Yes sir, I need to scan it," the security guard said in the video posted on Nicklaus' Facebook page.

"Mine?" Nicklaus replied.

"Yes sir," the security guard answered, as he reached over to grab Nicklaus' badge.

Comment

Winners of the gold in Rio this summer get automatic slots in all 4 majors next year.

Comment

Nine holes-in-one at the Par 3 tournament yesterday. Jimmy Walker is faced with the hoodoo having come out on top at eight under for the nine holes.

Comment

Auntie Beryl wrote: Nine holes-in-one at the Par 3 tournament yesterday. Jimmy Walker is faced with the hoodoo having come out on top at eight under for the nine holes.
                Does that mean he completed 9 Par 3 holes in 19 strokes?!

Comment

My money's on lost Eastenders character Rickie Fowler at 14/1, my bookie is paying 6 places so I'm hopeful of at least getting something back.

Also fancy former "unknown Yank" Brooks Koepka at 66/1, and current unknown Yank Justin Thomas at 125/1.

Comment

Comment

seand wrote:
                      Originally posted by Auntie Beryl
                      Nine holes-in-one at the Par 3 tournament yesterday. Jimmy Walker is faced with the hoodoo having come out on top at eight under for the nine holes.
                      Does that mean he completed 9 Par 3 holes in 19 strokes?!
                      Yes. He eased up towards the end there as well. He was six under through five, helped by a hole in one along the way.

Comment

As long as Steve Williams' guy doesn't win, I don't much care.

Williams has just released the American version of his self-serving book. In the original, he said he was Tiger Woods' "slave". In the revised version, that has been changed to "lackey". PCGM!

Comment

I know we do this every year, but when is Augusta going to join the mid 20th century and allow TV broadcasts for the full opening rounds?

Comment

I was thinking the same! Why is that?

Comment

Because the people running the Masters are comical Bufton Tuftons who are probably still upset that they let professionals play, and they probably feel that letting it be broadcast at all is a terrible sell-out of the true traditions of the sport, so they're certainly not going to let people watch it when it's actually happening.

Comment

Els six over on the first hole

That is going to leave a mark

Comment

The what now? On the first hole?

Comment

Yup, he put up a ten

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Yup, he put up a ten
                                      Seven putts.

Comment

From BBC reports, SEVEN PUTTS FROM THREE FEET.

That's ... quite amazing. I mean I'd get annoyed with one of my daughters pissing about like that on a crazy golf course.

Els's exemption to the Masters is only based on his 2012 Open win, too. After next year, they won't automatically invite him back.

Comment

The Masters is my favourite annual sports event, and has been since 1992 when, at 14, I was glued to the TV on the Saturday & Sunday watching Freddie Couples win his only major. It's a perfectly timed event, with the golf season gathering pace but avoiding the busy Summer events and distractions. In my mind, it signals the arrival of Spring.

I've a decent record of backing winners at Augusta - Olazabal 1994, Mickleson 2006, Johnson 2007, Cabrera 2009. I usually wait til the first round is over before having a punt, but the gathering of the leading contenders at the top of the leaderboard means that a couple of my fancies - Jimmy Walker & Charley Hoffman - aren't worth backing even though they're in the top ten. Regardless of their good start, they've given Speith & Day a 3 & 4 shot lead. Each way bets will have to suffice.

Comment

Richie Fowler shot +8. He was par at the turn. Wow.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: From BBC reports, SEVEN PUTTS FROM THREE FEET.

That's ... quite amazing. I mean I'd get annoyed with one of my daughters pissing about like that on a crazy golf course.
                                              Hey! I five putted the first last Friday from about 6 feet (after a beautiful pitch onto the green). Don't knock it. It makes Els seem human.

Comment

Outside Agent wrote: Richie Fowler shot +8. He was par at the turn. Wow.
                                                And he was my shortest-odds bet. Never follow me into a bookie.

Lowry going very well but I feel he may not last like this through 54. Spieth and Day ominously good, Rory too. Surely this can't be like F1 and Mercedes. Can it?

Comment

San Bernardhinault wrote: I know we do this every year, but when is Augusta going to join the mid 20th century and allow TV broadcasts for the full opening rounds?
                                                  Their twatty old rules only allow four minutes of TV ads per hour, so I'm good considering where my arse and this sofa are located.

Bubba falling to bits.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X