F1 and motorsport 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F1 and motorsport 2016

Can't see a thread yet and the grid for the Australian GP is now sorted, which shows who's racing for which team.

March 19 (Infostrada Sports) - Starting grid from the Formula One Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park on Sunday [spoiler]
    1. Lewis Hamilton (Britain) Mercedes
    2. Nico Rosberg (Germany) Mercedes
    3. Sebastian Vettel (Germany) Ferrari
    4. Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) Ferrari
    5. Max Verstappen (Netherlands) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
    6. Felipe Massa (Brazil) Williams-Mercedes
    7. Carlos Sainz Jr (Spain) Toro Rosso - Ferrari
    8. Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Red Bull - TAG Heuer
    9. Sergio Perez (Mexico) Force India - Mercedes
    10. Nico Huelkenberg (Germany) Force India - Mercedes
    11. Valtteri Bottas (Finland) Williams-Mercedes
    12. Fernando Alonso (Spain) McLaren
    13. Jenson Button (Britain) McLaren
    14. Jolyon Palmer (Britain) Renault
    15. Kevin Magnussen (Denmark) Renault
    16. Marcus Ericsson (Sweden) Sauber - Ferrari
    17. Felipe Nasr (Brazil) Sauber - Ferrari
    18. Daniil Kvyat (Russia) Red Bull - TAG Heuer
    19. Romain Grosjean (France) Haas - Ferrari
    20. Esteban Gutierrez (Mexico) Haas - Ferrari
    21. Pascal Wehrlein (Germany) Manor - Mercedes
    22. Rio Haryanto (Indonesia) Manor - Mercedes[/spoiler]

Can't add owt to that as I'm not a big follower of the sport, but folk may want to note that free to air coverage is on Channel 4 now as the BBC have cut their contact early as with other sports they've lost recently.

C4 say they won't do ad breaks during the races and if their past efforts on Italian football, cycling and NFL are anything to go by I expect they'll do a good job.

F1 and motorsport 2016

I stuck'motorsport' in there in case anyone wants a place for the odd bit of rally or moto GP or whatever but I realise that speedway is well able to sustain a decent thread by itself of course.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Well, F1 has changed since I've been paying proper attention. Ferrari and Mercedes supplying customer engines ( or was this a rule requirement?), TAG back badging engines, Haas in F1 after absolute decades.

Carlos Sainz Jnr - wow. And I don't suppose Jolyon Palmer is any relation to Dr. Jonathan?

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

I was going to start a thread on this to say what an absolute farce the new F1 qualifying was this morning. Not for the first time, Bernie has responded to a duff season with some panicked changes, one of which was "elimination" qualifying by essentially removing a driver every 90 seconds (it's far too complicated to explain the exact ins and outs here). Anyway, the basic idea is that two cars will be left standing at the end to shoot out for pole as a big climax, but what actually happened was that both Mercedes were left (quel surprise) and both sat in the pits rather than being on track. Wonderful, well done everyone.

There's a good summary of social media reaction to the format here.

Jolyon Palmer is Jonathan's son. That makes four now who are the son of ex-F1 drivers - Magnussen, Verstappen and Rosberg the others.

Hamilton will win the championship again, I expect.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

The qualifying format was embarrassing. Q1 had teams messing up the timing, which at least meant there was some interest. Q2 had several drivers knocked out while in the pits. Q3...well, I'm not even sure there was a Q3 there was so little action.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Haas is linked to the Stewart-Haas Nascar team, but not the original Haas F1 team.

The qualifying format was one of the few things F1 had right. God knows why they tinkered with it for this mess.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

When Christian Horner calls it "embarrassing", you know it's a load of shit. Seems that they're going to rush through some changes for Bahrain and either revert to the old system entirely or have elimination for Q1 / Q2 and Q3 in the old style.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

If they want it to last an hour for TV but don't want dead periods when no-one is driving, then they have to accept the extra cost of giving them more tyres. Because otherwise, however much you tinker with the format they aren't going to be able to do more than a few flying laps and there will always be dead spots.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

One and done.

Teams unanimously agree to revert to 2015 system for Bahrein.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Good, now let that never be spoken of again.

Predictable result with a Mercedes 1-2 in Melbourne, but sounded like an interesting way of getting there. Grosjean took a superb sixth for Haas on debut and Alonso had a humongous crash.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Amazing shots of him walking away and glancing back at a pile of debris which used to be his car. Thank God for the safety cell.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Words fail.

Even ten years ago, there is no way that anyone would have survived that.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Always like how, despite all the high-tech jiggery pokery, all F1 cars have a big block of wood nailed to the bottom of them.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Martin Brundle survived just as big an accident at the same corner twenty years ago. All the debris around that could have hit his head was the biggest danger but Alonso didn't have the sort of really hard impact with a barrier that would have made a fatality likely. It looked spectacular but his accident in Brazil 03 was far more dangerous, as was the year Grosjean took him out on the first corner of Spa.

The wooden block is a rule, to slow the car down by raising the ride height. It was brought in after Senna and Ratzenberger died.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

As previous years' threads testify, I take a very perverse interest in F1, as I am constantly delighted at just how crushingly dull they manage to make it, when it really ought to be the most exciting thing on the planet (and I believe it was, in the old days). The furore over how dull the new qualifying system was, as you can imagine, amused me greatly (it's not like the old one was any more thrilling than, well, watching cars go round an empty track).

But I was greatly relieved to see Alonso walk out of that crash today. That's the sort of excitement no-one, not even me, wants to see.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

The former Haas-Beatrice team was owned by Carl Haas, one of the main impresarios of CART/Indycar racing.

Which is a perfect segue for me to Indycar, which had a pretty decent first race last Sunday. Montoya (yep, Juan) won but the main attraction was a very feisty drive by rookie Conor Daly (son of Derek). Indycar TV ratings are up substantially this season and there's a bumper crop of interesting young American drivers that should hopefully boost interest in the US outside of the Indy 500. Alexander Rossi, ex-Manor race driver (and now reserve driver due to Haryanto's cheque clearing), is in an Andretti/Herta car, while Daly and Indy Lights champion Spencer Pigot round out the most exciting trio of young American rooks in decades. Sage Karam will run a couple races this year as well, and he looked extremely talented (if extremely hot-headed) last year.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Looks like BT has the UK broadcast rights for IndyCar but they don't seem to be shouting about it, judging by their 2016 motorsport listings. So the IndyCar schedule is here.

Here are channel 4's live F1 races for the year.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Right, so Bernie has signed a deal with Sky to give them exclusive live rights to F1 from 2019 to 2024. Rumour is Murdoch has paid the thick end of a billion quid for this.

And, after all the criticism of qualifying the past weekend, the teams have been unable to agree a change so we're stuck with the same rubbish again in Bahrain.

The sport is absolutely, comprehensively, fucked.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

I don't even think it will be hard for a lot of F1 fans to give up the sport.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Especially outside Ferrarilandia.

It will be tough on Italy and the diaspora.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

longeared wrote: inflatable donkey
                                          What sort of holiday is this, exactly?

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Well, the second attempt at elimination qualifying turned out to be even worse than Melbourne. Only three cars out in the last 7:15 of Q2. Empty track in the last three minutes of Q3. Loads of cars eliminated in the pits. Well done Bernie et al.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Fucking hell, but Steve Jones is a terrible, terrible presenter. He's like a male Claudia Winkleman.

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Bahrain's national anthem is a bit like the theme tune to "We Are The Champions", the 1970s kids show that ended up with them all jumping in the pool

Comment

F1 and motorsport 2016

Away from all the modern political nonsense, someone has put all the F1 programme covers back to 1947 on the interweb.

A lot of the stuff is lovely. Then you can tell when FOM get involved and ruin it through standardisation.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X