X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etienne
    started a topic International Cricket Thread

International Cricket Thread

I feel that we could probably do with an omnibus thread for series/tournaments that don't merit their own thread.

I'll start it with the u19 World Cup, where it looks like Nepal are about to beat New Zealand. Ireland are threatening respectability against India.

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I'm in broad agreement. Although "until the ball is delivered" these days might need to be "until you'd expect the ball to be delivered". The non-striker these days is busy watching the line so they can give a reasoned opinion on any DRS referral that they can't be expected to be watching the bowlers arm for the actual release. Which means that to me, an interrupted run-up that waits for the non-striker to get out of their ground would still seem unsporting.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    I'm actively in favour of Mankading too. It's enough of a batsman's game as it is without giving them carte blanche to scamper down the pitch to steal a run at will. And when I were a lad, one of the first things I was told by coaches was to keep your bat grounded at the non-striker's end until the ball's delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    And now the MCC has reversed course; they say Butler was in his ground when he could reasonably have expected the ball to be delivered, and that he was only outside it due to Ashwin delaying taking the bails off. Therefore Ashwin's actions went against the Spirit of the Game.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Don't you just love the way that cricket's laws are narrated by Stephen Fry?

It does make them sound as if the come from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I wonder if Peter Jones did an earlier version?

The law seems fine as it stands. It was pretty touch-and-go whether Ashwin had delayed and Butler was simply trying to sync his amble forwards with the expected delivery. Either way, it didn't look like egregious backing up against the spirit of the laws. More like dozily being out of his ground.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    MCC have made a statement. Seems reasonable. For some reason I thought the ICC were in charge of the Laws now.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Best ever response to being Makaded

https://twitter.com/GraemeSmith49/st...72068389572608

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Don't you just love the way that cricket's laws are narrated by Stephen Fry?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Especially in 20/20. If the batsman leaves his crease he's trying to gain an advantage, and the bowler has every right to stop him doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Yeah, if the batsman isn't trying to gain an advantage by leaving the crease then he can't be put out.

Sporting, they removed the part about the bowler not being able to interrupt their delivery stride a couple of years ago.

It all feels a bit of a hang over from gentlemen batsmen and player bowlers to me.

Edit: Buttler just wasn't paying enough attention.
    Last edited by Levin; 26-03-2019, 08:36.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    But hadn't the bowler interrupted his own run-up? Not sure, just asking.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yes it's up to the batsman to stay in the crease imo

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Latest Mankad incident splits opinion in cricket world

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

If it's legal what's the problem? Cricket has bigger problems than this. I like Dean Jones's take on this.

I did this to a teacher in a students versus teachers match and he refused to walk.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Not from me.

No idea what you're on.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    All over at Rajiv Gandhi, Afghanistan ease to 150-3. Well beaten but no disgrace for the boys in Green. Thanks to cricinfo, whatsapp. George C and Tommy F for Blarney Army updates

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Amy Jones' quickfire 54 off 39 has given England the platform needed to win the second ODI and clinch the series as well. Unfortunately I can't find a stream for it.

A win today would move England to 8-6 and up to second in the Championship.
    Pos Team Mat Won Lost Tied N/R Net RR For Against Points
    1 Australia 12 11 1 0 0 1.333 3006/545.3 2444/585.0 22
    2 India 15 8 7 0 0 0.441 3066/679.2 2889/709.3 16
    3 England 13 7 6 0 0 0.49 3034/626.5 2673/614.3 14
    4 New Zealand 15 7 8 0 0 0.012 2941/678.4 3090/715.0 14
    5 South Africa 12 6 5 0 1 -0.604 2178/528.1 2548/539.0 13
    6 Pakistan 12 6 6 0 0 -0.438 2172/587.1 2260/546.2 12
    7 West Indies 12 5 6 0 1 0.008 2093/523.4 2074/520.0 11
    8 Sri Lanka 13 1 12 0 0 -1.274 2198/626.5 2710/566.5 2

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Yes, the middle ranks in the Championship are very close together at the moment and every ODI win counts if we are to qualify directly for the next World Cup. The next two series (in Sri Lanka in March and hosting West Indies in June) are vital.

Those home matches against West Indies, in case anyone fancies them, are:

1st ODI Thursday 6 June, 1400, Leicester
    2nd ODI, Sunday 9 June, 1100, Worcester
    3rd ODI, Thursday 13 June, 1400, Chelmsford

1st T20I, Tuesday 18 June, 1900, Northampton
    2nd T20I, Friday 21 June, 1900, Northampton
    3rd T20I, Tuesday 25 June, 1900, Derby

And Australia are coming in July:

July

2nd 1st ODI, Leicester
    4th 2nd ODI, Leicester
    7th 3rd ODI, Canterbury

18th-21st Only Test, Taunton

26th 1st Twenty20 international, Chelmsford
    28th 2nd Twenty20 international, Hove
    31th 3rd Twenty20 international, Bristol
    Big win in Sri Lanka today. Hopefully England will maintain a good run of form.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Stumps at Day 2, Ireland 140 behind going into the 3rd innings. Porterfield goes for 0 and it's looking like a 3 day beating

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    The fourth Afg v Ire ODI is on here:
    https://youtu.be/BrL7oE1Ko_M

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    And there goes the fifth.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Windwards v T&T has gone to the final day. The chase is probably beyond the Windwards at they are four down but you can watch their attempt here:
    https://youtu.be/r-HvoKeGmwY

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post
    Tamim makes a century, the rest do fuck all as Wagner destroys the middle order. I've only heard of one Bangladeshi bowler. What's shakib doing?
    He injured a finger in the BPL

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    That's a shame, I suppose the locals might not see Bangladesh as much of a draw?

Afghanistan-Ireland second ODI is broadcast here:

https://youtu.be/BrL7oE1Ko_M

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    NZ's highest ever Test total. Half as many overs as England's famous 903. Williamson must be hoping it rains on day 4 or 5, after they've wrapped it up, since he declared on 200*, and thereby gave his team about a day more than they're going to need.

On the downside, not many people there - on a Saturday, with good weather.
    Last edited by tee rex; 02-03-2019, 05:02. Reason: maths

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    And also CricInfo seems to be miles behind on the scores. You want to go to:
    https://www.windiescricket.com/livepage/

edit - oh, in fact that page is superb as you can have the stream put side by side with the scorecard. You could lose days on that....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X