X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin S
    replied
    Everyone loves Gilo, surely.

Only bowler in the world to get Tendulkar stumped in a Test.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    More likely to pick Mo or even Monty than the King of Spain.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Etienne View Post
    I'd pick another bowler instead of one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Obviously it's a case where you'd have to decide on your parameters, is it based just on performance from 2000 onwards in which case Gough and Thorpe both have a weakened case, especially Gough who delivered most of his best performances in the last millennium. I think over his career Thorpe should be a definite, he played against better bowlers in worse sides than Vaughan or Trott. I'm not sure the side needs both Flintoff and Stokes. I'd pick another bowler instead of one of them.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    As we are nearing the end of the 2nd decade of the century, I was wondering if it would be fun to kill an hour or so doing an England XI 2000-2018. Partly on stats and partly on gut I get:

Cook, Trescothick, Thorpe, Root, KP, Bairstow, Flintoff, Stokes, Swann, Gough, Anderson

Toughest decisions were Stokes v Broad/Hoggard and Thorpe v Vaughan/Trott. Maybe Vaughan should get if if you assume he's a better captain than Cook or Root, and Thorpe and KP in the same side is asking for trouble?
    I can't see much to quibble with there – several of them pick themselves – but I'd have Vaughan as captain, and I'd have Prior keeping, hitting a pugnacious 50 off 30 balls, and predicting 90% of the DRS decisions correctly.

Are we in danger of underrating Stuart Broad, who has had at least five not just match changing but series changing spells? Maybe him for Stokes.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 04-12-2018, 14:23.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    As we are nearing the end of the 2nd decade of the century, I was wondering if it would be fun to kill an hour or so doing an England XI 2000-2018. Partly on stats and partly on gut I get:

Cook, Trescothick, Thorpe, Root, KP, Bairstow, Flintoff, Stokes, Swann, Gough, Anderson

Toughest decisions were Stokes v Broad/Hoggard and Thorpe v Vaughan/Trott. Maybe Vaughan should get if if you assume he's a better captain than Cook or Root, and Thorpe and KP in the same side is asking for trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    139/3 at stumps. Off 61. This is proper test cricket.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    And indeed Pakistan go to lunch 0/1 (though that wicket came off Boult so spin wasn't an issue)

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    NZ 274 all out, with some sterling defence especially from Watling (77* off 250 balls). That may well be enough. It certainly is a competitive total as the ball seems to be turning a lot. 5 wickets for Bilal Asif.

Leave a comment:

• Vicarious Thrillseeker
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Bangladesh beat West Indies by an Innings: all 40 WI wickets in series taken by Bangladesh's spinners
    I just watched the second test highlights. Without wishing to take the shine off a tremendous series result for Bangladesh, West Indies were absolutely dreadful.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    229/7 at the close, off 90 overs. Old school.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yasir Shah having another of those spells. Reduces NZ from 70/1 to 73/4 at lunch, currently with figures of 9 5 12 3. He is now 2 wickets away from taking 200 test wickets, and if he does it in this game he will shatter the record for the fastest time to do that (The fastest before was Charlie Grimmett at 36 matches. This match is, i believe, Yasir's 33rd). It's a shame he didn't get picked until he was already 28

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Bangladesh beat West Indies by an Innings: all 40 WI wickets in series taken by Bangladesh's spinners

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Pakistan win by an innings and 14 runs. Yasir takes 14 wickets.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    301/8 now, still 27 behind, and Nicholls just out for 77. Seems close to being over....

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Watling and Nicholls grinded the score on to 255-4 before Shah got Watling LBW. Grandhomme scored 14 off 13 balls in an innings then missed a hoick at Hasan Ali. Not really what was required. It's a longer tail than NZ normally have, so that might be it, although Nicholls is still in.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Well now. 222-4 in the second innings. Pakistan surely won't fancy chasing 150 after the last test, so NZ need to make 480 or 490 to give themselves a chance. Still unlikely but not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Making a much better fist of the second innings but surely the damage is done.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    The scores for the batsmen from 4-11

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1067005197631684608

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Mentioned this on the England in Sri Lanka thread, but it should really be here. Yasir Shah took 8/41 in NZ's first innings total of 90 (they were at one stage 50/0). NZ have been forced to follow on 328 runs behind. Shah has already added another wicket to his haul and NZ are 14/1 in their second innings.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    So this means the T20I rankings will become global as of May for men's teams. It's already in effect for women's teams:

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings...-rankings/t20i

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Not relevant to anything on the thread at the moment but I went down one of those internet rabbit holes where I wanted to know about the populations of various island nations of Oceania in case any of them should happen to qualify for the Women's World Cup. I started wondering what levels of cricket are played by them, and found that the ICC has opened up official T20I status as of next year.

From 1 January 2019, any T20 match between any two ICC members (not just full members, but all 104 full and associate members - affiliate member is no longer a separate category) will be classified as a T20I. So that really opens up T20 as the most accessible form of the sport for countries not at the top table. Cook Islands v Samoa, for example, would be a T20I next year.

And - if we're honest - we'd all want to watch that match, too.
    Last edited by Kevin S; 21-11-2018, 12:00.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by tee rex View Post
    Especially the back story for that match-winning bowler.

The nature of modern sport, with academies and development tours and "10 to watch" articles, makes it all the more refreshing when an old guy gets his chance and cashes in.
    Wow, that's fantastic. Wonder if he fancies some County Championship action next year?

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    I hadn't noticed, but NZ's winning margin of 4 runs has never happened in a Test before. It was the only missing number from 1 to 7.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Especially the back story for that match-winning bowler.

The nature of modern sport, with academies and development tours and "10 to watch" articles, makes it all the more refreshing when an old guy gets his chance and cashes in.
    Last edited by tee rex; 20-11-2018, 00:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X