International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sarah Taylor chucks in international cricket

Big shame, and a big loss. Best wicketkeeper - female or male - this decade, and hugely brave given the mental health issues that evidently continue to dog her. One of our great contemporary sportspeople, even if it was obvious this summer her form was on the wane

Comment

I’ve been following her lately because I empathize, at least a bit, with her struggles. Sorry to hear that it’s come to this, but I hope it will help her find peace.

I recall hearing an NPR thing about some other international cricket who quit because of mental health issues. That was a while ago. I forget who it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        I’ve been following her lately because I empathize, at least a bit, with her struggles. Sorry to hear that it’s come to this, but I hope it will help her find peace.

I recall hearing an NPR thing about some other international cricket who quit because of mental health issues. That was a while ago. I forget who it was.

Jonathan Trott, perhaps, or Marcus Trescothick

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Jonathan Trott, perhaps, or Marcus Trescothick
          I think it was Trescothick. Thanks

Comment

Bit late on the Sarah Taylor thing, but didn't want it to go past without a mention. What a thrilling sportsperson she's been at international level: a 360 degree threat as a batter and a counter-attacking wicketkeeper who made batters fear to leave the crease. She was so good that sometimes you wondered if it was completely fair – her knack of stumping players when she noticed that they inadvertently lifted their foot by an inch made for a different game. That she did all this, competing for over a decade, scoring over 6000 international runs, when dealing with a severe mental health issue, is nothing short of heroic.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              Bit late on the Sarah Taylor thing, but didn't want it to go past without a mention. What a thrilling sportsperson she's been at international level: a 360 degree threat as a batter and a counter-attacking wicketkeeper who made batters fear to leave the crease. She was so good that sometimes you wondered if it was completely fair – her knack of stumping players when she noticed that they inadvertently lifted their foot by an inch made for a different game. That she did all this, competing for over a decade, scoring over 6000 international runs, when dealing with a severe mental health issue, is nothing short of heroic.
              Is that even a very common way to get a batter out? I was under the impression that it was not.

Comment

It's a bit less common to look to stump someone for their foot lifting a tiny bit off the ground, as opposed to leaving their crease entirely.

Comment

Awesome story: teammates get engaged:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nt-get-engaged

Brunt is from my home town and I couldn't be prouder.
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-10-2019, 17:35.

Comment

Is there a worse commentator anywhere in the world on any sport that's more irritating than Danny Morrison?

Comment

Excellent question

There are some incredibly annoying US commentators, but none of them are inflicted on an audience anywhere near as large and international as Morrison's

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Awesome story: teammates get engaged:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...nt-get-engaged

Brunt is from my home town and I couldn't be prouder.
                        Sucks that her parents don’t accept it. Good for her for living her life anyway.

Comment

The parents are from my home town so I would have predicted she'd get that reaction, which I assume contributes towards her depression, but I can also imagine countless people who have been disowned by their families completely, which has thankfully not happened here. I might put her above Darren Gough, Dorothy Hyman and Geoffrey Boycott as our greatest ever sportsperson.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-10-2019, 23:31.

Comment

Two of the most watchable cricketers of our time too. Good luck to 'em.

In men's news, India batter South Africa once again, which could bode well for England in a couple of months, though conditions will better suit SA's bowlers when they're back on home turf.

Comment

India have set a new record for most consecutive home series wins (11), although other sides have strung together home series wins over longer time periods but played less frequently. WI won all their home series from 1976-86 but only played 8, otherwise they'd easily have exceeded 11. Crazily, WI had no home series in 1979, 1980 or 1982; the one v England in 1981 was thus their only home series between 1978 and 1983.

They didn't lose a home Test between their return from Packer in 1979 and the loss to Imran's Pakistan in 1988

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...am;view=series
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-10-2019, 01:22.

Comment

Mitchell Marsh breaks hand after punching wall:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/50052735

Comment

Working...
                                X