International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Kev. Actually a mate of mine is sort of the manager/coach/kit man for Cluj, though I hadn't realised this tourney was starting now (I knew they were in it).

I suspect that Pavel Florin is one of the only one or two actual Romanians in the team which may be why he seems to be the social media face of the club (Cluj is the centre of Romania's hi tech industry and as such hosts a fair number of young men from the Indian subcontinent)
    Florin is at Lord's today and about to be interviewed on TMS.

Comment

India 10-2 in the First Test at North Sound, Antigua

Comment

28/3. Kohli gone.

Comment

India now firmly in control of this one. India 297, WI 189-8.

Meanwhile SL have moved slightly ahead in the 2nd Test v NZ by snapping up Taylor. SL 244, NZ 89-3.

I wonder if three Tests going on concurrently in August is a record? Playing international cricket in WI and/or Asia in the former off-season is now a given.

Comment

Fairly extraordinary partnership between Holder and Cummins. 36* so far from 14.3 overs. Nothing remarkable in that, but Cummins is still 0*.

Comment

I think 45 balls for a duck for Cummins puts him in the Top 10 all-time. Geoff Allott 77 balls is the record.

Comment

SL v NZ is heading, due to weather, to the first drawn match in SL in 26 Tests.

Comment

Yikes

https://twitter.com/TheCricketerMag/status/1167070299696840705

Comment

Have we covered the fact that 22 stone plus 6'5" Rahkeem Cornwall has become the heaviest ever test cricketer with his debut for the West Indies against India today.

Comment

More destructive than Dorian at the moment

[URL="https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1167897996836524033?s=21"]https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1167897996836524033[/URL]

Comment

Bumrah 6-16 at the close; with three bunnies left in, he could still claim a 9-fer.

Comment

Afghanistan doing very well in the solitary Test in Bangladesh, who are 219 behind with six wickets down on a dodgy pitch.

Comment

Rahmat Shah has recorded their first test century too.

Comment

Malinga has 5/3 in the T20 v NZ

Comment

Malinga finishes 4-1-6-5. Won the game on his own.

Comment

Abdul Qadir RIP, only 63. He was the spin bowler who first caught my imagination and taught me that great Test Match bowling wasn't just about pace, seam and swing.
                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-09-2019, 17:20.

Comment

Yes, worth remembering that Qadir was basically the lone top class spinner while some of the finest pace bowlers ever ruled in the 1980s.

Comment

Don't know if this is the right thread for it (does it need one of its own?) but Abdul Qadir has died. What a mesmerising player he was

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        Abdul Qadir RIP, only 63. He was the spin bowler who first caught my imagination and taught me that great Test Match bowling wasn't just about pace, seam and swing.
                                        All of this. A spinner who made me appreciate this art and is why I've always had a soft spot for Pakistan.

Comment

RIP. When me and my chums played, when batting we'd pretend to be Botham, Gower, maybe Viv Richards. Fast bowling it would be Botham again, Willis, Marshall... but if we tried spin it would always be Qadir, who showed us that slow bowling could be aggressive and unpredictable rather than the rather dull containment of the likes of Emburey. We never did master getting the ball to actually spin, but we could do his skipping and weird arm actions pretty well.

Comment

Stumps Day 3: Afghanistan lead by 374 runs with 2 wickets remaining

Comment

Bangladesh 110/4 chasing 398, the same target England were set in the 1st Test of the current Ashes. Still loads of time, although there has been some rain today (Day 4) and the forecast is not great for tomorrow.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 09:45.

Comment

Abdul Qadir was like an old-fashioned winger, hugging the touchline, socks round his ankles. Other spinners of his era were like wide midfield players, expected to tackle back and put a shift in for the team, and never inspiring anyone to try and emulate them in the back garden.

Comment

Yes, he given the licence to attack even if it meant he'd go for 4 an over. This does not happen much in today's era, and didn't happen at all in the 80s with any other international spinner I can recall (Bedi would have been the last one before him).

Meanwhile Bangladesh 136/6. Afghanistan almost there. Bangladesh need it to rain all day tomorrow.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 10:52.

Comment

Looks like Bangladesh might get their wish.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X