International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    Is that because the result's already been fixed?
    Ha ha.

More like Rotherham playing Liverpool.

Probably a complete mismatch.

Comment

Welcome back Test Cricket - it's been 128 days since the last one.

Originally posted by Levin View Post
      What are the cricket seasons around the world?

UK is April to September
      New Zealand and Australia October to March?

And I don't really know about anywhere else and wouldn't like to guess when it's probably determined by rainy seasons.
      On Wikipedia the international matches are divided into two pages for each 12 months. There's one called the 2019 international cricket season which is May - September, i.e. when England are at home, and another for September - April, when everyone else is at home. The overview of the 2019-20 international season says:

"The 2019–20 international cricket season is from September 2019 to April 2020.[1][2] Currently, 31 Test matches, 63 One Day Internationals (ODIs) and 61 Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) are scheduled to be played during this period. The 2020 ICC Women's T20 World Cup in Australia is also scheduled to take place during this time, starting on 21 February 2020."

Then there's a list of the tours and tournaments due to take place. It's for this reason that I think we should probably start a new thread for International Cricket in September each year, because England's home matches usually get their own thread.

In terms of the domestic seasons there, that would probably require some kind of research and a table. Which I might do.

Comment

Here are a selected few domestic seasons:
        Nation First class One day T20
        West Indies Dec-Mar Oct Sep-Oct
        India Dec-Mar Sep-Oct Mar-May
        South Africa Sep-Jan Dec-Feb Nov-Dec
        Australia Oct-Apr Sep-Oct Dec-Jan
        New Zealand Oct-Mar Oct-Dec Dec-Feb
        Pakistan Sep-Dec Jan Dec, Feb-Mar
        Sri Lanka Dec-Feb Nov-Feb Jan-Feb
        Last edited by Kevin S; 24-07-2019, 09:53.

Comment

Small procedural point, is this the thread for England v Ireland or was there a dedicated one?

Comment

Don't think there is one, so I guess we might as well carry on here?

Comment

GO has started a separate thread for the Test.

Comment

Fairynuff.

Comment

Sorry for being late to this, but that scorecard is a thing of interest.The Malian opening bowler Oumou Sow went for 82 off her three overs, incluing 10 wides and 16 no balls. Mali's innings contained six ducks, incluidng two run outs (so they weren't hanging around). And Ugandan bowler Anyigo's three wickets were all leg before.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Is that because the result's already been fixed?
                    You were saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                      Here are a selected few domestic seasons:
                      Nation First class One day T20
                      West Indies Dec-Mar Oct Sep-Oct
                      India Dec-Mar Sep-Oct Mar-May
                      South Africa Sep-Jan Dec-Feb Nov-Dec
                      Australia Oct-Apr Sep-Oct Dec-Jan
                      New Zealand Oct-Mar Oct-Dec Dec-Feb
                      Pakistan Sep-Dec Jan Dec, Feb-Mar
                      Sri Lanka Dec-Feb Nov-Feb Jan-Feb

Sri Lanka are playing Bangladesh at the moment it's just 3 ODIs in Sri Lanka.

Comment

Ooh, well I suppose if they can get a dry spell there's no reason why not.

Somehow I'd missed the bit about the World Test Championship where it said players would get squad numbers. I quite like the County Championship vibe.

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1155738783201079296?s=19

Wagner wore 13 for Essex, incidentally. Wonder what brought on the change?

Last edited by Kevin S; 29-07-2019, 10:07.

Comment

Mali's NRR was 13.314 from 6 games.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/table/s...y20-tournament

Comment

I was in a pub earlier and I could have sworn I saw Catalunya playing cricket on their telly. Didn't see who against but what was that?

Comment

https://www.ccma.cat/esport3/el-cata...ticia/2938395/

Comment

It's something called the European Cricket League, which sounds encouraging. It's started popping up on my Twitter feed and I've tagged ad hoc in a post add it turns out there's a Cluj team.

Enjoy the flight on these:

https://twitter.com/EuropeanCricket/status/1156198611149045760?s=19

Comment

Freesports are showing the European Cricket League, a T10 competition that bills itself as "The Champions League of European Cricket'.

Catalunya Cricket Club beat St Petersburg Lions earlier.

Edit, ah, didn't see the page split.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Kev. Actually a mate of mine is sort of the manager/coach/kit man for Cluj, though I hadn't realised this tourney was starting now (I knew they were in it).

I suspect that Pavel Florin is one of the only one or two actual Romanians in the team which may be why he seems to be the social media face of the club (Cluj is the centre of Romania's hi tech industry and as such hosts a fair number of young men from the Indian subcontinent)
                                    Last edited by ad hoc; 31-07-2019, 09:09.

Comment

Cluj appear to have lost every game they've played but I don't think that will be much of a surprise. It will have been fun anyway

Comment

Gower and Botham are apparently both being retired by Sky. It doesn't affect me personally but I wonder if Sky thinks it's time to go back to trained broadcasters and also to cut ties with commentators whom they signed up in the 90s, especially Gower from what had become a declining Beeb operation.

Alternatively do they want less "in my day" ism?

Comment

Gower's been alright whenever I've heard him. Doesn't say stuff just for the sake of saying stuff, and doesn't get over excited.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            Thanks for the heads up Kev. Actually a mate of mine is sort of the manager/coach/kit man for Cluj, though I hadn't realised this tourney was starting now (I knew they were in it).

I suspect that Pavel Florin is one of the only one or two actual Romanians in the team which may be why he seems to be the social media face of the club (Cluj is the centre of Romania's hi tech industry and as such hosts a fair number of young men from the Indian subcontinent)
                                            Just seen a photo of my mate with Florin on Facebook, so he obviously went too.

Comment

Looks like the first innings scores will be close in Galle; SL are 262/9 after NZ's 249 in the first Test.
                                              Last edited by Kevin S; 16-08-2019, 05:24.

Comment

Looks an intriguing one that. NZ now 98-4 in second innings but if they can get a lead of more than 150 you'd fancy them to win. Sri Lanka are such a curious Test team at the moment, though mostly quite a weak one.

Comment

Apparently the highest successful chase ever at Galle is just 99.

Comment

SL cruising at the end of Day 4: 133-0 chasing 268

Comment

Working...
                                                    X