No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 2 wickets fell on the first day, 5 on the second (possibly inflated by a pre declaration acceleration), 15 have fallen today. And there are still 2 overs left

Comment

Why didn't India enforce the follow on?

Comment

The non-enforcing of the follow-on has been an increasing trend over the past, dunno, 20 years of test cricket? I suppose part of the thinking behind it is that your bowlers are tired and wouldn't have the same impact in the second innings as in the first. Against this in general, pitches deteriorate and bowling therefore becomes more profitable and in this particular match, it wasn't as if India's bowlers were out in the sun for too long. Then there are arguments about the weather and how best to stop the threat of rain ruining a winning position. I sure websites such as cricinfo have any number of interesting and stats-filled articles on this subject but that's my very brief amateur answer for starters.

Comment

No-one enforces the follow-on anymore, unless it's really exceptional circumstances. Tires out the bowlers, and might lead to an awkward chase on a worn pitch. Easier to bat third, grind the opposition down and give them the worn pitch for their fourth innings, especially when there's loads of time left.

Comment

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/co...ry/797859.html

Comment

I think that argument is balls. The team batting first has enough of an advantage without giving them a further one - even if it wouldn't be used very often.

Comment

Has there ever been a player out on the pitch for an entire test match? I mean an opening batsman not out (or last out) in both innings and fielding through two complete innings for the opponents?

Comment

Another reason follow-ons are not enforced is that teams so rarely manage to bat out a draw. Give them 350 to chase in four sessions and they'll usually crumble.

Comment

I would only ever enforce the follow on if the opposition was out for below 100, more than 400 behind or time were an issue.

Although the wicket is doing a lot, four of Bumrah's wickets were pitched up so the pitch was not the issue in all cases.

Australia cannot bat under pressure. Inexperience, poor technique (T20?), just a poor batting side.

Comment

If Australia lose this series, surely Steven Smith is a shoe-in to return as captain.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Has there ever been a player out on the pitch for an entire test match? I mean an opening batsman not out (or last out) in both innings and fielding through two complete innings for the opponents?
                        No opener has carried his bat twice in a test (that is, surviving the loss of ten batting partners twice in a test). The number of players who have carried their bat more than once in their test career is very short. Only two, Dean Elgar and Desmond Haynes, have done that three times.

Kraigg Brathwaite was twice not out (142* and 60*) for the West Indies in their win against against Pakistan in 2016.

Other than that, a couple of players carried their bat in their sides only innings in drawn matches: Tom Latham a couple of weeks ago for NZ against Sri Lanka, and Alistair Cook a year ago against Australia.

Comment

Another factor against the follow on today I believe is that there's a heatwave going on. Wasn't it about 40°today? That seems as good a reason as any to not want to be out on the field all day

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                            If Australia lose this series, surely Steven Smith is a shoe-in to return as captain.
                            It would be be soon but in any case I don't think he was a particularly good captain and Paine has done OK with an impossibly weak batting line-up.

Comment

Doesn’t Smith have a period banned from any “position of authority” even after his ban from playing is over?

Even if not, surely he’ll come back in to the side as a player only rather than captain?

Edit : just checked and it’s a further year :

"Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft will not be considered for team leadership positions until a minimum of 12 months after the conclusion of their respective suspensions from international and domestic cricket. Any consideration of future leadership would be conditional on acceptance by fans and the public, form and authority among the playing group. David Warner will not be considered for team leadership positions in the future," CA said in a statement.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-12-2018, 14:40.

Comment

He cannot even be vice captain in that case.

Comment

Oh yeah, oops. I suppose the talk I've been hearing is about reintegrating him as a player.

Comment

I think there was a campaign to shorten his ban so he would have been back for this series.

Comment

Interesting, India have declared after adding 50 odd and losing three wickets this morning. Trying to regain a psychological upper hand, sparing your bowlers from bouncers, concerns about the weather, perhaps all of the above? Either way, Australia need to chase just shy of 400 to win.
                                      Last edited by diggedy derek; 29-12-2018, 00:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        I think there was a campaign to shorten his ban so he would have been back for this series.
                                        Not a campaign really, there was an appeal by the players’ union to Cricket Australia for the bans to be curtailed. It was dismissed.

Comment

Both openers gone.

AUS 44 for 2

Comment

Once again Australia's tail are outbatting their top order

Comment

Ruth Strauss, wife of Andrew, has died in Australia with the family.

Comment

Very sad news. RIP.

Was listening to the coverage from Melbourne this morning. The home commentators were dismissive (NPI) of most of their team- everyone gets a start, then tries to slog it into the sea before predictably holing out. The two exceptions with both patience and technique to cope are Khawaja and Cummins, so the latter might be an outside bet for future captain batting at #7 and offering 15 overs per day as 3rd or 4th seamer as his pace falls.

An injured Tom picked up somewhere on the Sturt Highway earlier has been named in his honor- Pat the Cat

Comment

Deepest condolences for Strauss and family.

Cummins is a handy cricketer but Australia don't usually give bowlers the captaincy. Perhaps they need to change that?

Comment

2-1 series lead for India.

Bumrah finishes with 9 for 86.

Australia need to win both remaining matches to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy

Comment

Working...
                                                    X