No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

301/8 now, still 27 behind, and Nicholls just out for 77. Seems close to being over....

Comment

Pakistan win by an innings and 14 runs. Yasir takes 14 wickets.

Comment

Bangladesh beat West Indies by an Innings: all 40 WI wickets in series taken by Bangladesh's spinners

Comment

Yasir Shah having another of those spells. Reduces NZ from 70/1 to 73/4 at lunch, currently with figures of 9 5 12 3. He is now 2 wickets away from taking 200 test wickets, and if he does it in this game he will shatter the record for the fastest time to do that (The fastest before was Charlie Grimmett at 36 matches. This match is, i believe, Yasir's 33rd). It's a shame he didn't get picked until he was already 28

Comment

229/7 at the close, off 90 overs. Old school.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Bangladesh beat West Indies by an Innings: all 40 WI wickets in series taken by Bangladesh's spinners
              I just watched the second test highlights. Without wishing to take the shine off a tremendous series result for Bangladesh, West Indies were absolutely dreadful.

Comment

NZ 274 all out, with some sterling defence especially from Watling (77* off 250 balls). That may well be enough. It certainly is a competitive total as the ball seems to be turning a lot. 5 wickets for Bilal Asif.

Comment

And indeed Pakistan go to lunch 0/1 (though that wicket came off Boult so spin wasn't an issue)

Comment

139/3 at stumps. Off 61. This is proper test cricket.

Comment

As we are nearing the end of the 2nd decade of the century, I was wondering if it would be fun to kill an hour or so doing an England XI 2000-2018. Partly on stats and partly on gut I get:

Cook, Trescothick, Thorpe, Root, KP, Bairstow, Flintoff, Stokes, Swann, Gough, Anderson

Toughest decisions were Stokes v Broad/Hoggard and Thorpe v Vaughan/Trott. Maybe Vaughan should get if if you assume he's a better captain than Cook or Root, and Thorpe and KP in the same side is asking for trouble?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        As we are nearing the end of the 2nd decade of the century, I was wondering if it would be fun to kill an hour or so doing an England XI 2000-2018. Partly on stats and partly on gut I get:

Cook, Trescothick, Thorpe, Root, KP, Bairstow, Flintoff, Stokes, Swann, Gough, Anderson

Toughest decisions were Stokes v Broad/Hoggard and Thorpe v Vaughan/Trott. Maybe Vaughan should get if if you assume he's a better captain than Cook or Root, and Thorpe and KP in the same side is asking for trouble?
                        I can't see much to quibble with there – several of them pick themselves – but I'd have Vaughan as captain, and I'd have Prior keeping, hitting a pugnacious 50 off 30 balls, and predicting 90% of the DRS decisions correctly.

Are we in danger of underrating Stuart Broad, who has had at least five not just match changing but series changing spells? Maybe him for Stokes.
                        Last edited by diggedy derek; 04-12-2018, 14:23.

Comment

Obviously it's a case where you'd have to decide on your parameters, is it based just on performance from 2000 onwards in which case Gough and Thorpe both have a weakened case, especially Gough who delivered most of his best performances in the last millennium. I think over his career Thorpe should be a definite, he played against better bowlers in worse sides than Vaughan or Trott. I'm not sure the side needs both Flintoff and Stokes. I'd pick another bowler instead of one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                            I'd pick another bowler instead of one of them.

Comment

More likely to pick Mo or even Monty than the King of Spain.

Comment

Everyone loves Gilo, surely.

Only bowler in the world to get Tendulkar stumped in a Test.

Comment

One of the things I loved was the way you could watch him and it made you think, "I could've been a Test match bowler."

Comment

Obviously Sachin was as bored with Giles bowling a foot outside leg stump as the rest of us.

Comment

Haha

Comment

On reflection, Broad for Stokes is a no-brainer. Stokes is not a series-changing bowler.

Comment

Century for Azhar. Pakistan 193/3 and creeping closer to NZ's total

Comment

224/3 at lunch, only 50 behind. Partnership of 139. They sped up (relatively speaking) for a while, but then the new ball has slowed them back down again.

Comment

Partnership ends at 201. Azhar gone for 134, and Pakistan already with a lead of 12.

Comment

Shafiq gone too, just after bringing up his century. You'd think NZ would need to keep the lead under 60-70 to have a reasonable chance.

Comment

Pakistan all out for 348, a lead of 74...precisely the same lead they had after the first innings of the first test also in Abu Dhabi...

Good fightback from NZ, though the fact that all the lower order fell to spin (bar Yasir Shah who was run out when his shoe fell off) is probably a bad sign for them.

Comment

26/2 at the close. Both openers gone. Should be a good day tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X