International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't really warm to cross-border international sides
    Well we could always solve that by getting rid of that particular border (no way I wasn't going to put away that juicy half-volley).

A good Test in lots of ways though, and one that, as much as making the case for countries like Ireland to play more Tests (even at a time of Test Cricket In Crisis, as we're perpetually told), exposed the mean-spiritedness of shrinking the World Cup.

But I think I have more contempt for the people that run cricket these days even than I do those who run football

Comment

I just don't really warm to cross-border international sides.
      Try being the seemingly invisible country on one side of the border.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
        I think I have more contempt for the people that run cricket these days even than I do those who run football
        At least with Blatter and his successors or with the FA, greed is an understandable motive but what do the likes of Strauss and Graves think they're trying to achieve?They're men who strike me as traditionalists but they seem bent on destroying the game they're in charge of. It's baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
          Well we could always solve that by getting rid of that particular border (no way I wasn't going to put away that juicy half-volley)
          I was wondering how you'd play (or duck) that beamer from Trinidad

I just can't feel fully emotionally involved with it. As I imagine many other fans would react if Cricket Ireland chose Dundonald as their new HQ. Plenty of scenic views and underused land there too..

Originally posted by RdG
          Try being the seemingly invisible country on one side of the border
          A double-header at Stormont and Sophia Gardens would solve both gripes
          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 16-05-2018, 07:19.

Comment

I quite like Ireland being a Test nation. You aren't really shit in cricket if you're not a Test nation, and I despise the venal, stupid ECB too much to fully back England.

As an example of the ECB's venality, I was amused to find out it is substantially cheaper to go to a day of Test cricket in Malahide from London than to go to Lord's, and still cheaper than the Oval. No one nobody under 30 in London who hasn't been on a gap yah gives a fuck about cricket.

Comment

I just saw on Twitter that Charles Dagnall is making his Sky commentary debut today. But before anyone gets their hopes up, a check of the thread showed that he’s going to be continuing with TMS

#gutted

Comment

I think Dagnell is fantastic for one-day cricket, and terrible for Test matches.

In other news, all-time great AB De Villiers has retired from international cricket with immediate effect.

Comment

He's gone out at the top: a 50+ Test average and a 71 average and great century in his last series, against Australia. Probably as good as any batsman of his generation when on his game, which was often. Equal with Kallis as best South African batsman since Barry Richards?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                    Equal with Kallis as best South African batsman since Barry Richards?
                    Tough one to answer. Stylistically, ABV and Richards had a number of similarities, but Richards was an opener and you could therefore say had a tougher task against the new ball. Kallis was a completely different player, tough as teak and built like a rock, whereas ABV was more of a timer and touch player; though he could be quite brutal. Difficult to compare the 3, but with Smith at 2 that would have been one hell of a top order.

Comment

W Indies v Sri Lanka Test (one of three) this afternoon
                      http://www.skysports.com/live-scores...395591/preview

SL currently hold the Sobers-Tissera Trophy.
                      Last edited by Kevin S; 06-06-2018, 07:18.

Comment

Tends to rain a lot in June WI Tests, which is presumably why this series has been put there. Series will probably lose money and is a loss leader as such, something WI have to do to stay in the game.

Comment

Oof! An early loss for the hosts - Lakmal probed down the corridor and a little bit of away swing has got Brathwaite edging it, easy catch for Dickwella.

Comment

Disappointing end for Smith, hardly had a strike and now he's been run out. WI 40/2.

Comment

It's taken a while for me to twig why there's something familiar about this partnership being Powell and Hope.

Comment

Kumara with a great delivery to bowl Powell.

Comment

50 partnership for Chase and Hope.

Comment

Good game this, but the lack of spectators is very depressing.

Comment

Very much enjoying this 0 (26) performance so far from Bishoo.

Comment

Stumps after 84 overs. WI 246/6.

Comment

England women rally from 97-8 to 189-9 in ODI vs South Africa thanks to a brilliant innings from Brunt.

West Indies well on top in the test match.

Comment

Brunt was going ballistic at the end, wow

Comment

West Indies going well; nearing lunch on day 4, lead by 432 runs with 3 wickets remaining. But where's the crowd?

Comment

Easy for SA in the end. Isn’t there some young, tall English seamer that’s on the fringes of the squad? Might be worth a go.

Comment

Scotland setting a useful score in the ODI against England. 303/3 in the 44th over.

Comment

Useful but insufficient

West Indies just 5 wickets away from the win

Comment

Working...
                                                    X