Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Cricket Thread

I reckon it's a mistake.
    (a) He will have pissed the Australians off and thereby increased their sense of team spirit/desire to win
    (b) Rather than having 9 overs to bowl at and try and get Warner - Australia's best batsman - out with the new ball in difficult conditions, they gave him the evening off. When he does come in tomorrow he'll be harder to shift
    (c) Presumably Warner didn't much care about opening or he'd have been on the pitch as soon as the 9th wicket fell. After all the innings could have ended at any time, anyway.

Comment

Apparently Warner's teammates were very annoyed at him. Hazlewood said that he'll have to apologise to the team. I think there was more admiration for rather than righteous anger at Faf's declaration. It's the sort of thing brass-balls thing Steve Waugh might have done.

And Warner fell for 11, so he apparently wasn't that hard to shift.

Comment

I've since learned that the crowd booed du Plessis on reaching his century, which even for Australia is a bit off. In those circumstances i will forgive him for trying to troll the crowd/team/nation of Australia with a tricky declaration.

Comment

That declaration might not have worked this time around, but in the context of a series of being 2-0, and trying to turn the screw further, bravo. Anyway, as ad hoc says, if Warner was fully focused on opening, he should have been on the field.

Comment

If his shoulder didn't work, why was he expected to stay on the field?

Comment

There are many answers to that, but for now, I will simply say, "because his is an Australian cricket player".

Fair play though, what an innings from Kawaja. I'm liking day-night Tests. What's other peoples' take?

Comment

New Zealand v Pakistan is good stuff. The crowd looks about Bedfordshire v Cumberland size, except with fewer away fans.

Play is just starting and they've shown one of the gates. There is quite literally nobody coming in.

Ah, in fairness there's a bad forecast for this afternoon.

Comment

Australia is walking comfortably to reach their target of 127. Just as well that the early declaration won't make a difference.

Comment

I saw that SA and Australia tied in women's cricket. Not a draw, but a tie. How often does that happen?

Comment

Only twice ever in test cricket.

It happens rather more frequently in One-Day Internationals, like just last weekend between Zimbabwe and the West Indies.

The most dramatic ODI tie was the 1999 World Cup semi-final between Australia and South Africa. SA had fought back from a losing position (partly of their own making for batting too slowly). With three balls left, the scores tied. SA had one wicket left, with pinch hitter Lance Klusener (who had brought back SA from the brink of defeat) on the crease with bowler Alan Donald.

SA need one run to win (a tie won't benefit them due to previous results, which serve as a tiebreaker). Australia's Damien Fleming bowls a good ball (a yorker) to Klusener, who fends the ball off -- and starts to run. Donald in the other end doesn't realise that Klusener is trying to steal a single. Australia's Mark Waugh fields the ball and throws at the stumps at Donald's end. He misses but Fleming catches the ball.

Donald now sets off in a panic as Fleming rolls the ball to wicketkeeper Gilchrist at the other end, and even loses his bat in the process. SA are all out and Australia are in the final, which they go on to win.

All Klusener had to do was to be patient. If the third last ball yields no run, the second last one might. And if not, then he and Donald run like mad for the last ball.

Oh, and it has been rumoured that Fleming overstepped and that his ball that led to the run-out should have been a no-ball. I've seen no footage or photo to confirm that.

I'm still scarred by that match. It's the second greatest ODI of all time. In the greatest ever, Australia set a world record score, which SA broke chasing it down.

Comment

Intriguing. I'll look for that on YouTube.

Has anyone ever considered doing an overtime format? Like give each side one over?

ODI is always 50 overs, right? Same as in the World Cup?

Comment

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVNtuDKsds

Comment

ODI's usually are 50 overs now, but before the 1990s, it varied a bit.

Here's another great last over for you.

Comment

That's remarkable.

I take it that WI had no choice but to bat aggressively at the end since they were running out of balls, which opened up the chance for the SA bowler to go after the wickets.

I don't entirely understand why LBW happens. Why not just bat more like baseball to keep your legs out of the way?

Comment

Well, for one thing they would be stood so far back that the bowler could simply load the opposite side of the field and put the ball wider and out of their reach

Comment

How wide does it half to be to not count?

Comment

It depends on the format of the game, but in theory "sufficiently wide that it can't be hit by the batsman". That still holds in test cricket, but in one-day cricket it's now basically "wide enough that someone can't play a scoring shot". I think this all assumes a normal cricket stance.

Another reason for not standing too wide is that you only end up with width of the bat to hit with, rather than the full height of it. Making it much easier to miss the ball completely and to get bowled out. In baseball, you're always trying to play a scoring shot and the ball missing the edge of the bat by a few millimeters is not critical. I imagine if, in baseball, more people were trying to bunt, there'd be a more vertical bat and the batter would stand closer to the strike zone.

Comment

One is also at a significant disadvantage in reacting to a ball pitching off the wicket when standing in a baseball stance. I believe that most batsman who start with baseball seriously underestimate the potential movement off the wicket.

Comment

I see.
                                        Perhaps my perception is distorted from seeing mostly highlights so a lot of LBWs.

Comment

One reason that you don't want to get your legs out of the way is, simply, that you want your legs in the way, as it can help you as a batsman.

If the ball hits your pads, and the umpire rules it not out, it needs to be shown to be hitting the stumps full on in order to be overturned. Also, you can often effectively 'kick' away balls outside the line of the stumps against eg spinners, because the umpire is unlikely to have any certainty that ball would have gone on to hit the stumps.

Comment

It's also true, of course, that unlike baseball your legs aren't stationary. You're meant to move your legs towards where the ball is, to get better control over your shot.

And - I realise I missed this earlier - if the ball comes off the edge of your bat and into your legs, then you don't get given LBW, so you have almost the entire width of the ball of extra protection if your pad and bat are next to each other. If you leave a gap between bat and pad, the ball can sneak through into the stumps.

Comment

If the ball glances off the bat and then hits the stumps, is that an out? I guess that's an obvious question, but I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

I understand that if the batter doesn't have something - a foot or the bat - behind the line that they can be caught out. But during batting, sometimes it seems like they take a few steps up the pitch to hit the ball. Do they have to be in the crease to hit the ball or can they risk being caught out by stepping that far forward to address the ball?

Why does the batter always tap the bat on the ground before the bowler bowls it? Is that to signal that he's ready or is it just one of those things that batters do, just like in baseball. (In wiffle ball/baseball/softball, I always tap the bat on the far edge of the plate (or whatever is serving as a plate) just to be sure I'm standing where I need to be.)

Comment

If the ball glances off the bat and then hits the stumps, is that an out? I guess that's an obvious question, but I don't think I've ever seen it happen

It happens quite often, actually, and is out. Indeed, quite often a ball that would otherwise be missing the stumps gets deflected on ("played on" is the term generally used) by a batsman who misjudges the lines of the ball.

I understand that if the batter doesn't have something - a foot or the bat - behind the line that they can be caught out. But during batting, sometimes it seems like they take a few steps up the pitch to hit the ball. Do they have to be in the crease to hit the ball or can they risk being caught out by stepping that far forward to address the ball?

The batsman can basically be anywhere he wants to hit the ball. Generally he prefers to be further back, to get a good idea of what the ball is doing and have a fraction more time; but sometimes it's better to be further forward to hit the ball as it bounces, so that it doesn't have time to move left/right (either off the seam, or spinning), and also so that any irregularity in the height of the bounce is removed.

But once you're out of your crease, you can be out stumped - like being run out, but without actually taking a run. This is often why a wicket-keeper stays very close to the stumps when a slowish bowler is bowling. It is an attempt to stop a batsman moving down towards where the ball pitches.

Comment

Another thing I don't think I've seen, but probably happens:

The ball misses everything - bat, stumps, legs, and the wicket keeper fails to catch it and it just keeps rolling toward the boundary. Is that a no-ball or is that like a "passed ball/wild pitch" in baseball and everyone can run?

Oh, another question. I see that in Test cricket and, I suppose, other levels of first class or high-level cricket, the captain makes many of the big decisions and there's no coach on the field telling them what to do (I've also noticed that in rugby). But is that true in all levels of cricket? A the U12 level, is there a particularly wise 12-year-old deciding when to declare and when to pinch hit or is there more coaching at that level?

Comment

'The ball misses everything - bat, stumps, legs, and the wicket keeper fails to catch it and it just keeps rolling toward the boundary. Is that a no-ball or is that like a "passed ball/wild pitch" in baseball and everyone can run?'

It is not a no-ball, unless the umpire has called one for another reason. Yes, the batsmen can run as many runs as is sensible, and these are added to the team's total (not the batsman's) as extras. Specifically, they are called byes. If the ball reaches the boundary, it's four byes.

Wicketkeepers tend to think of byes as a black mark on their keeping performance, though sometimes nothing could be realistically done to stop them, eg if the ball swings a long way after passing the bat, or turns sharply off the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X