International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG, I would share that sympathy, the players were just acting within a culture they had been brought up in. But the inquest trying to find the reason for Hughes' death, they need to explore that culture.

Comment

While Talksport were happy to "commentate" from London on the TV pictures.

Comment

Etienne wrote: DG, I would share that sympathy, the players were just acting within a culture they had been brought up in. But the inquest trying to find the reason for Hughes' death, they need to explore that culture.
        Can it not just be the case that what happened was a tragic accident? Exploring the sledging culture may get a slightly better behaved group of players but won't create a safer game. It's a hard ball and people will continue to get hurt. Investigations into comments made during matches risk missing the obvious causes of incidents like this.

Comment

Well, that is probably true, but if the people running an inquest aren't certain of that then they have the right to explore it. While there are inherent dangers, it's surely at least possible that a game where players pump up their adrenaline by shouting insults and threats to each other may make it more dangerous.

Comment

A line being taken by a Cricinfo writer is that we need to look at bouncers themselves. Not in an hysterical 'ban them!' way, but one that appreciates the top level game has a greater number of very fast bowlers than at any time before.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1062231.html

Comment

Can Windies pull off a shock win against Pakistan? It sounds like Amir's recent dismissal may be worth seeing highlights of for comic potential.

Comment

And PK are all out. Target of 153 for the Windies win.

Comment

They slump to 67-5 but Braithwaite (who is still yet to be dismissed while 15 batsmen have gone at the other end) and Dowrich take it to 114-5 by the close.

All set up for Pakistan to win with a hat-trick with West Indies 2 runs short. Probably with an outlandish dismissal like Obstructing The Field in there somewhere.

Comment

And Brathwaite sees Windies home. Apparently the first time an opener has been unbeaten in both innings of a Test; I find it remarkable that it's not happened before. So he was on the pitch for the whole match.

Comment

Not a bad 24 hours for me bat and ball wise.

Comment

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                        Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha
                        What do OTFers make of the Philip Hughes inquest and the contradictory reports about the sledging in the match?
                        Apparently this lead to his family walking out
                        Without too much knowledge, my first reaction is some sympathy for the players accused of not detailing what sledging went on.

The intial call to the Emergency Services seems to have been classified as non-life threatening which seems odd, but again I'm relying on one report (on the World Service Stumped show).
                        Sledging?

ursus arctos wrote: Not a bad 24 hours for me bat and ball wise.
                        You're a Windies fan?
                        Truly, I've never encountered anyone with such eclectic sporting interests. Remarkable.

Comment

Sledging examples.

High-stakes banter, I suppose, intended to get under the skin of the opposition in what can be a very long personal duel between batsman* and bowler.

(*Do we have a gender-free term for this?)

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: Sledging examples.

High-stakes banter, I suppose, intended to get under the skin of the opposition in what can be a very long personal duel between batsman* and bowler.
                            Never heard that call "sledging." I thought sledging was the British word for sledding. A sledgehammer is a big hammer used to drive in stakes in the ground and bust-up concrete. I guess doing that could be called sledging.

The closest term I can think of would be ""chirping"." That's a Canadian term, but its spread throughout hockey.

In other sports, its sometimes called trash-talk, or yakking.

(*Do we have a gender-free term for this?)
                            Batter is our term. Don't see why that wouldn't work in cricket.

Comment

More questions.

It appears that they move the wicket around the middle of the pitch and that there are a few different wickets side-by-side. How do they decide which one to use? Does that give certain batters an advantage because it puts them closer to one boundary or the other?

In limited overs matches, especially 20/20, what is the point of bowlers trying to get batters out? Since balls, not outs, are likely to run out first, wouldn't it make more sense to just bowl in a way that the batter can't score 4s and 6s rather than go after the wickets?

Or is there no way to really do that?

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                                Originally posted by Kevchenko
                                Sledging examples.

Never heard that call "sledging." I thought sledging was the British word for sledding. A sledgehammer is a big hammer used to drive in stakes in the ground and bust-up concrete. I guess doing that could be called sledging.

The closest term I can think of would be ""chirping"." That's a Canadian term, but its spread throughout hockey.

In other sports, its sometimes called trash-talk, or yakking.
                                "Chirping" is used in cricket too (though I think that is a recent phenomenon, I stand to be corrected) but I was going to suggest that Trash Talk is the closest equivalent to Sledging in US sports terminology.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote: More questions.

It appears that they move the wicket around the middle of the pitch and that there are a few different wickets side-by-side. How do they decide which one to use? Does that give certain batters an advantage because it puts them closer to one boundary or the other?
                                  Yes, basically. Although the fact that the bowlers alternate ends negates quite a lot of the advantage. Also, for bigger games - and particularly international matches - they tend to use the pitches that are nearer the middle of the ground.

In limited overs matches, especially 20/20, what is the point of bowlers trying to get batters out? Since balls, not outs, are likely to run out first, wouldn't it make more sense to just bowl in a way that the batter can't score 4s and 6s rather than go after the wickets?

Or is there no way to really do that?
                                  Getting wickets is less important in 2020, but generally batsmen improve after they've been playing for a while, have got used to the bowlers and conditions, and have got their eye in. Each time a new batsman arrives, it can take him maybe 5 or 10 balls to get up to the pace of the game. In T20 a match with only 120 balls, that can become crippling. Also, teams generally play their best batsmen first, so it's generally beneficial to try and take those wickets.

As for preventing 4s/6s, it's very hard to do in limited overs cricket, because of restrictions on where you're allowed to bowl, and on how the field can be set up. It's what every bowler tries to do, of course, but there's no obvious way to do it.

Comment

because of restrictions on where you're allowed to bowl, and on how the field can be set up.
                                    The rules on that are different? I didn't know that.

Comment

Hot Pepsi wrote:
                                      because of restrictions on where you're allowed to bowl, and on how the field can be set up.
                                      The rules on that are different? I didn't know that.
                                      In Test cricket you can largely put your field where you want - so if you want 9 players out right at the edge of the field preventing 4s, you can do that. But you'll almost certainly never take a wicket (and the batting team will be able to take 2s and 3s off every ball).

Because when limited overs cricket started captains did exactly that - making the game dull - there were restrictions put in place. It's sort of an equivalent to the offside rule, in that it stops teams being excessively defensive. Certain numbers of players are required to be within 30 yards of the pitch at different stages of the game (I think 2 are allowed outside during powerplay overs, 5 allowed outside during normal overs).

Comment

I see. Thank you.
                                        That clarifies what the big circle is for.

Comment

Reed, my affection for the Windies is an out of character episode of bandwagoning.

When I first became aware of cricket in the mid 70s, they were the greatest team in the world and the coolest cats around

Unfortunately, the current team bares about as much resemblance to those guys as the 2016 Reds do to the Big Red Machine.

Comment

Have seen ten minutes or so of highlights from today and some of Brathwaite's strokes - including putting away the first ball of the day - were superb

Coroner's inquest on Phillip Hughes' death finds noone to blame.
                                            http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/37868220

Aus-SA resumes in a few hours in Perth. The hosts dominated day one and SA need a strong bowling performance to get back into it.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: Reed, my affection for the Windies is an out of character episode of bandwagoning.

When I first became aware of cricket in the mid 70s, they were the greatest team in the world and the coolest cats around

What happened to them?

Unfortunately, the current team bares about as much resemblance to those guys as the 2016 Reds do to the Big Red Machine.

Comment

This is one of the primary subjects of debate in the Caribbean, but the most significant factors seem to be the rise of other sports (esp. track and basketball), the emergence of T20 (which privileges playing styles that can be antithetical in tests), the rise of India and other teams (given that Asian pitches are not friendly to fast bowlers), and a growing realization that the teams of that era were a genuine Golden Generation.

Comment

Jeez, Australia are destroying the Saffers.

144 for no loss, "chasing" 242.

This could be really ugly.

Comment

You're not in the lead until you're leading...

FALL OF WICKETS
                                                    1-158 (Warner, 35.2 ov), 
                                                    2-167 (Khawaja, 40.4 ov), 
                                                    3-168 (Smith, 41.3 ov), 
                                                    4-181 (SE Marsh, 46.5 ov), 
                                                    5-181 (MR Marsh, 50.1 ov), 
                                                    6-202 (Voges, 60.6 ov), 
                                                    7-203 (Starc, 61.6 ov)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X