International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should be a tense final day in the first SL-AUS test.

Australia need 185 more runs to win, Sri Lanka need to take seven wickets.

Comment

Yes, Mendis fell to the new day and new ball combo, but Herath added useful runs.

Voges got an LBW decision overturned when he was on 0 - Australia would have been 61-4 if not, and it's (by Australian standards) a reasonably lengthy tail.

Comment

Smith played very well for 55, but there's not been much else for Australia who are now 141-7.

Comment

Is the weather going to hold? Sri Lanka only need two more wickets and are creating lots of pressure.

Comment

Looks like the light will be the deciding factor, sadly.

Comment

Sri Lanka used their last review on a hope, they wasted it and it's cost them a wicket.

Comment

Ten deliveries short of the reviews being replenished too! At least the dark clouds have gone away.

Comment

Finally the break through. No review needed here.

Comment

Are you watching this or following online, LDdG?

Comment

I'm watching on Eurosport 2 Harry.

Sri Lanka have 7 fielders around the bat now with the spinners on.

Comment

I'm on holiday with a hotel wi-fi that is stymying my VPN so can't watch sadly.

Comment

Sorry to hear you can't watch it.

Dropped catch now, it was tough but catchable. Next ball Herath bowls him.

What a comeback, the next test is on a pitch that turns more.

Comment

Wow. What a result!

Comment

It's only the second time Sri Lanka have beaten Australia, I'm really surprised at that.

Man of the match is Mendis for that huge score that turned the match. He got 176 and the next best score was Steve Smith with 55 which puts his knock into context.

Comment

Great win for Sri Lanka, and I think a good result for test cricket. Was that 25 consecutive maidens as well? The ball doesn't have to be flying all over the park for cricket to be entertaining!

Comment

Excellent point SDR. I enjoyed that so much that I'm actually considering Warwick Stiffs v Worcester Reserves (a trial to see if day-night four-innings games with a dayglo pink ball are tenable*).

Nellie Melba, Mentl as Anything, Geoff Robertson QC yer boys took one hell of a larrikin etc.

* I know, it isn't. Dew and twilight as much a problem as admin inertia and accountant greed?

Comment

With impeccable timing, on Wednesday Cricinfo published this piece by Tim Wigmore arguing in favour of reducing Test matches to four days.

Clearly we should be giving priority to the gaps between matches rather than to the matches themselves, and we're crying out for some entertainment instead of the numbing drudgery of...oh.

Comment

There's a poll running on Cricinfo with that very question. 25,000 people have voted, 77% in favour of five day tests.

Comment

Four days x 105 overs is only one session less than 5 x 90. I'd go with the minority at least as a trial.

Comment

How often are the current full amount of overs ever bowled though?

Comment

Much less often than they should be. But that's a different argument.

I'll put it slightly differently. Four seven-hour days is only two hours less cricket than 5 x 6, ie proportionately any loss is pretty much the same.

This is Anglocentric of course (holidays and week patterns differ elsewhere) but Thursday to Sunday makes sense (weekend finishes, bigger crowds) in a way that Friday to Tuesday just doesn't.

Comment

I'll agree with you that weekend finishes do make a lot more sense. I'm still not convinced that's enough to go from five days from four, which is not without drawbacks.

Comment

Meanwhile, West Indies have won the toss and chosen to bat first on a pitch favouring fast bowling. They are now 7/3.

It feels as though a strong West Indian test team is never going to happen again.

Comment

Wobbled to 196 thanks to some lower order slogging. India serenely onto 58 without loss barely breaking sweat showing that this is a pretty decent track.

Comment

SL and AUS is one of those pairings where the Test Series have a trophy. It's the Warne-Muralidaran Trophy, featuring a cast of each of the bowlers' hands gripping a ball they bowled in a match.

Am I alone in finding this a little grotesque?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X