International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see Richards much, but yes, he played like no one else.

Australia taking control and will surely win tomorrow. Steve Smith getting hit on the head has focused attention on concussion once again. I wouldn't be averse to players being forced to leave the field after a serious blow on the head - something probably to be determined by the umpire. I guess it could he a right can of worms, if batsmen want to stay on, but you'd think it might at least encourage people to avoid balls a bit more for that very reason.

Comment

Comment

New Zealand's Test team seem to have fallen away quite badly since last (northern-hemisphere) summer. Shame.

Australia always come back from Ashes defeats by thrashing everyone else for a while don't they?

Comment

Shouldn't really be up to the umpires as they aren't medical professionals (amongst all the things they need to know!). Maybe they can call out a doctor, similar to boxing and rugby, to assess the batsman and let them make the call if they can continue safely or not.

Comment

Very poor behaviour by Australia, hounding the on-field umpire because of a TV umpire's upholding of a not out.

re. Viv Richards: I think the difference is that Viv intimidated bowlers and aggravated them into bowling poorly at him. He got under their skins and undermined them.

I also think that had Viv had a modern-day bat, it would be very hard to get him caught in the outfield, because his timing was always spot on. He'd break numerous records for fours and sixes. Botham and Kapil Dev would also be lethal with a modern bat.

Comment

Amazing innings by McCullum, but looking at the highlights it's a one-day slog rather than a 'proper' test match innings (yes, I am a sno about these things).

Did he set out to break the record as it was his final test match? Part of me is a little sad to see Richards lose the record. The fact that it had it stood for 30 years - despite the heavier bats and smaller boundaries - is testament to how impressive an innings it was. Given the focus on 20-20, I'd be amazed if McCullum's new record survives anywhere near that long.

Comment

Richards' record hundred was in a dead rubber against a completely demoralised and enfeebled England attack. He batted better than that on lots of occasions.

Comment

It might have been an ODI, but his 189 against England in 1984 was simply amazing. He and number 11 Michael Holding added 106 of which Holdings contribution was 12.

Again, with bigger bats and smaller boundaries like at the Wanderers, you (well I) do wonder what he would have acheived these days. Mind you, the state of the current WI team he'd probably have been stranded not out having contributed to around 60% of the score.

Comment

As it's come up, a few months ago I saw the actual bat Richards used in setting the record :

I feel like I cursed it now given that the record was broken only a few weeks later.

Comment

Remember watching on TV some of his 291 v England in 1976 when Chris Balderstone of Leics dropped an absolute dolly from him at mid-off.

Comment

E10 Rifle wrote: Richards' record hundred was in a dead rubber against a completely demoralised and enfeebled England attack. He batted better than that on lots of occasions.
                        I agree on both points, but looking at the innings Richards played, it still contained more 'classical' strokes than the cross-batted swats McCullum was playing the other day.

I agree about the one-day 189 at Old Trafford as well. An astonishing innings. Botham said it was like bowling at God.

Comment

meregreen wrote: Amazing innings by McCullum, but looking at the highlights it's a one-day slog rather than a 'proper' test match innings (yes, I am a sno about these things).

Did he set out to break the record as it was his final test match? Part of me is a little sad to see Richards lose the record. The fact that it had it stood for 30 years - despite the heavier bats and smaller boundaries - is testament to how impressive an innings it was. Given the focus on 20-20, I'd be amazed if McCullum's new record survives anywhere near that long.
                          I liked it exactly because it was a 20-20 innings. Maybe he did only play it because it was his last match, but I like the idea of it coming about as a calculated response to wickets tumbling.I loved the cross bat, walk down the wicket shots. He just kept walking forward, like Ned Kelly.

England in the series Richards broke the record developed a batting tactic politely called "you might as well have a go", or "you might as well give up", as Simon Wilde said. McCallum showed them how it was done anyhow.

Agree that this record might not last long.

Comment

Viv's 153* in 1979-80 is probably his best ODI/destructive innings because of the quality of the bowling, which was light years ahead of England's attacks of 1984-86:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65290.html

Comment

Viv's 189* at Old Trafford is still the most astonishing ODI innings I've ever seen. I could watch it endlessly.

Comment

Do you guys know there's a sort of love letter to Viv Richards which was etched into some wet cement on Dalston Lane in London 30 odd years ago?

Anyway, re: helmets, perhaps I wasn't clear. The problem with medical staff coming on is that sometimes they seem like they're just guessing, and the real effects of concussion sometimes take more than than five minutes to manifest themselves.

I wonder if instead that when a ball hits a helmet, an umpire should be allowed to compel the player to go off the field to be examined. I just fear that if it's left to a physio and a player themselves, they'll always be cases of "Don't worry, I'll struggle on", "well you know best" etc.

Comment

One for the fans of 20-20. Mike Selvey spent some time with the Melbourne Regenades and came away heartened about the futyre of cricket. He reckons the sport is in rude health and the crowds flocking to 20-20 appear to back this up. He's confident that Test cricket will survive as a 'niche' sport, though if 20-20 is drawing the crowds, the money and the best players, one wonders who will be playing, let alone watching Test matches in the future.

Comment

The Ashes will survive but the other series will wither, although there still seems to be a market for the Boxing Day Test in Aus and most Tests in the UK. What would kill the game stone dead, however, is if fans start to realize that teams are not fielding their best possible XI.

Nobody is going to pay Test prices to watch WI or SL's 'B' teams. I'm surprised Bangladesh are still viable in Tests, despite their 50 over achievements. India seem to have taken their foot off the pedal since their spell at No. 1. It's like, "OK, we've had the No. 1 glory, let's not bother from here on."

Comment

Day-night Tests could be a game changerin terms of getting casual punters in, especially in SA, India etc where Tests are often not sold out

Comment

What do we reckon to this? A two-division Test set-up

Comment

Very good if it happens. The ICC really does seem to have done a 180 since those fuckers Srinivasan and Clarke did one.

Comment

Yeah, there's not much in that that I can particularly object to, which is a most disorienting sensation when reading about the ICC.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd want Div 2 to have full Test status. It would make career records hard to compare. Also if WI did by chance produce another Viv or Lara, I'd like to see them face top bowlers.

I also wonder if this is a disguised scheme to simply dump WI, assuming they would be the yo-yo side in the set-up. Maybe India's belated revenge?

Comment

I like the concept. I'm not sure 7/5 is right and 6/6 isn't right.

It's not clear if there's relegation from Division 2, or if the 2 non-status teams gain permanent test status, or whether they always play off with other associate members for the final 2 spots.

Provided that there are enough additional bilateral test series, it shouldn't really screw with career records.

Comment

Part of me hopes it completely supplants bilateral series - there have been too many Ashes and Aus-Ind series in recent years. If this reins them in, that'd be good.

Also, it might make India buck their ideas up at Test level. Their away performances at times, of late, have been shocking - and their half-arsed ineptitude made that summer series here in 2014 one to forget.

Comment

Satchmo Distel wrote: I'm not sure I'd want Div 2 to have full Test status. It would make career records hard to compare. Also if WI did by chance produce another Viv or Lara, I'd like to see them face top bowlers.

I also wonder if this is a disguised scheme to simply dump WI, assuming they would be the yo-yo side in the set-up. Maybe India's belated revenge?
                                                    I thought they were merely trying to accommodate Ireland and Afghanistan, rather than demote existing Test nations? Reading the Guardian article, it seems the bottom teams in D2 would play off against Intercontinental Cup teams, but as you say, two six-team divisions would seem a more logical split.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X