Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    [URL]https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1128027804476424192?s=21[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Yes, there's been some rotten weather today. Hammered it down this morning and intermittent hail showers this afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    It's 'orrible round here. Hailstorm right now. I'd be surprised if there's any more play.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Jofra Archer begins his 50-over England career with two maidens and a wicket. He should be playing for West Indies for my money but he ain't half menacing. Can see him playing all five Ashes Tests as the Pietersen-2005 figure in the team.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    The Beeb are live streaming the ODI Tri-Series in Ireland - with West Indies v Bangladesh on today:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/48138603

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Good game, with a good partnership between Foakes and Tom Curran seeing England home.

Such a frisson of excitement hearing Ian Bell in the commentary box. Get him out there for the Tests, he could still do a job at number five!!! No, wait, listen...

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Good job the ICC stopped Ireland from coming to the World Cup...

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    England looking a bit wobbly.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Sorry, my error. The ball is dead as soon as the wide is called so the stumping does not count and the batting side wins by one wicket.

https://sports.stackexchange.com/que...-off-last-ball

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Even though the ball passed the stumps in a wide position before the stumps were broken?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The match is a tie with ten wickets down. The ball is dead when the stumps are broken so no run.

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Well, I never knew that you could be stumped off a wide...

What happens if scores are tied and it's the last wicket that goes like that? Do you get the run, or the wicket, or both?

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    The Ireland-England ODI finally gets underway. Who'd've thought that early May in Dublin could be a bit soggy...

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I'm in broad agreement. Although "until the ball is delivered" these days might need to be "until you'd expect the ball to be delivered". The non-striker these days is busy watching the line so they can give a reasoned opinion on any DRS referral that they can't be expected to be watching the bowlers arm for the actual release. Which means that to me, an interrupted run-up that waits for the non-striker to get out of their ground would still seem unsporting.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    I'm actively in favour of Mankading too. It's enough of a batsman's game as it is without giving them carte blanche to scamper down the pitch to steal a run at will. And when I were a lad, one of the first things I was told by coaches was to keep your bat grounded at the non-striker's end until the ball's delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    And now the MCC has reversed course; they say Butler was in his ground when he could reasonably have expected the ball to be delivered, and that he was only outside it due to Ashwin delaying taking the bails off. Therefore Ashwin's actions went against the Spirit of the Game.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Don't you just love the way that cricket's laws are narrated by Stephen Fry?

It does make them sound as if the come from The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I wonder if Peter Jones did an earlier version?

The law seems fine as it stands. It was pretty touch-and-go whether Ashwin had delayed and Butler was simply trying to sync his amble forwards with the expected delivery. Either way, it didn't look like egregious backing up against the spirit of the laws. More like dozily being out of his ground.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    MCC have made a statement. Seems reasonable. For some reason I thought the ICC were in charge of the Laws now.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Best ever response to being Makaded

https://twitter.com/GraemeSmith49/st...72068389572608

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Don't you just love the way that cricket's laws are narrated by Stephen Fry?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Especially in 20/20. If the batsman leaves his crease he's trying to gain an advantage, and the bowler has every right to stop him doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Yeah, if the batsman isn't trying to gain an advantage by leaving the crease then he can't be put out.

Sporting, they removed the part about the bowler not being able to interrupt their delivery stride a couple of years ago.

It all feels a bit of a hang over from gentlemen batsmen and player bowlers to me.

Edit: Buttler just wasn't paying enough attention.
    Last edited by Levin; 26-03-2019, 08:36.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    But hadn't the bowler interrupted his own run-up? Not sure, just asking.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yes it's up to the batsman to stay in the crease imo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X