International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I don't have a problem with hitting contests (well, maybe a little one) - just with it being considered cricket, where the bowler is given an equal chance.

Comment

I wondered why the crowd were cheering Windies wickets. Naturally, the match is being played in Florida.

Comment

Well, nobody turned up for any of the test matches, so at least there is somebody there to do some cheering

Comment

Fair to say they couldn't have scripted it better to attract some floating fans.

England win in routine fashion.

Comment

India fall one short with Dhoni out off the last delivery.

Comment

Slightly more typical cricket PR fuck up in game 2, as play is delayed for 40 minutes due to the TV cameras not working - then it rains 2 overs into the second innings.

Comment

And South Africa are dominating the test so far - they had a fair chunk of luck with the bat, but their bowlers have exposed the limitations of the Kiwi batsmen who aren't called Kane.

Comment

Now the advertising logos on the pitch are too slippy to restart play. Spiffing.

Comment

Etienne wrote: Slightly more typical cricket PR fuck up in game 2, as play is delayed for 40 minutes due to the TV cameras not working - then it rains 2 overs into the second innings.
                    Serves them right.

Comment

Well yes, I have no sympathy for the WICB and BCCI, but I do wish that cricket wouldn't keep shooting itself in the foot.

-----

Proper cricket at Centurion, where a top class bowling attack is just about being fended off by Williamson's brilliance, while Nicholls just wills himself to stay there. If Nicholls can make a score here it might just be the making of him.

Comment

Nicholls can only get so far on willpower, and Williamson is like the boy with his finger in the dyke as floodwaters sweep past him.

Comment

Two Tests held this month on different continents were both affected by very poor ground preparation and inadequate facilities for playing cricket at this time of year:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/story/1049621.html

Comment

Williamson last out for 77 in a total of 214. South Africa lead by 267 but will bat again.

Kagiso Rabada looks like he's going to be one hell of a bowler. Looking forward to him touring England next summer.

Comment

Dale Steyn must be entering all time great reckoning.

Comment

Two weeks ago, Cricinfo were telling all and sundry that he's way past his best and not long for the cricketing world, so to speak. Journalism, eh?

Comment

He's a bit slower now, and occasionally gets a T20 tonking when he's on a featherbed, but still an automatic choice for a world XI.

Comment

Just watched the highlights.

He was absolutely unplayable today.

Comment

I'm watching them now, and you're not wrong. "Too good for thee", as Fred would have said.

Comment

Sri Lanka v Australia is live free-to-air today in the UK on Quest. Mitchell Starc has conceded one run from his first two overs. He also got Avishka Fernando out lbw, who was born in 1998 and is making his debut.

Comment

Aaron Finch needed a single to equal the fastest half century ever in an ODI, so he took a massive swipe at it, missed it and it went for a bye. Australia almost a third of the way to the target after just five overs.

Comment

Australia beat the T20I record with 263/3 in Pallekele, with the 3rd wicket being the final ball of the innings.

Maxwell 145* (65)
                                            Warner 28 (16)
                                            Khawaja 36 (22)
                                            Head 45 (18)

263 from 20 overs; that's just insane.

Comment

Another arcane bit of cricket rules, as Latham is ruled not out as the ball hit Rahul's helmet before he caught him.

NZ doing well so far, 139-1 in response to India's 318.

Comment

RIP Max Walker. When we first started watching cricket as kids we all immitated Thomsons slingshot action and Walkers windmill. Will always be remembered as the workhorse bowler of the Aussie side at the time, and having heard him commentating and being interviewed he came over as a decent, funny bloke.

Comment

First test match I ever went to was at Trent Bridge in 1977. Saw Australia bat nearly all day, the highlight of which was a Rick McCosker 100, but towards the end the play was enlivened (or endeadened, especially if one was an 11 year old boy hoping to see Boycott bat*) by Max Walker playing a comically exaggerated defensive innings, coming half way down the pitch to each ball and smothering every ball with his bat at 45 degrees. Grown ups were enjoying it and laughing. I was less enthusiastic because it sort of involved nothing much happening. With hindsight I can see why they enjoyed it/laughed at it.

RIP

(I did get to see Boycott and Brearley bat out the last couple of overs of the day, so I have forgiven him)

Edit: Actually just checking the scorecard it seems that Kerry O'Keefe played an even more defensive stonewalling innings, but I just remember Max

Comment

nmrfox wrote: RIP Max Walker. When we first started watching cricket as kids we all immitated Thomsons slingshot action and Walkers windmill. Will always be remembered as the workhorse bowler of the Aussie side at the time, and having heard him commentating and being interviewed he came over as a decent, funny bloke.
                                                    Max Walker - a genuine Aussie legend. RIP Tangles.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X