No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the first time in the history of test cricket, all 20 second innings wickets were catches.

35 catches in both innings is also a record, and Pant tied the record for catches in a single Test with 11.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-12-2018, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      Are they still planning that World Test championship thing? I can envisage that league table being swayed quite dramatically by the odd away win like this.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...t_Championship

It means there are no dead rubbers in points terms, which is good
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-12-2018, 13:42.

Comment

Some observations after watching highlights from the first day in Perth

I miss the WACA. Concrete bowls just don’t do it for me, especially when entire sections are empty.

Both teams have things to be happy for and regret. AUS would probably have taken 277 for 6 at the toss, but not after being 112 for no loss. India have to think that they can score on this wicket, which looks rather docile except for episodic weird bounces.

Kohli can field. Shame about his teammates.

The AUS team are much of a muchness and appear to have been told to put a lid on what little personality they have.

Comment

Should we be surprised that Michael Vaughan is a Trumper? Thirty years ago most of his predecessors were calling for the readmissoon of apartheid South Africa to Test cricket.

Comment

We once sat next to Vaughn at breakfast in London and I am not at all surprised.

The New Zealand/Sri Lanka tests are live on ESPN+ here. NZ won the toss and put SL in. The wisdom of that choice is reflected in the fact that Sri Lanka are now 9 for 3.

Comment

Remarkable partnership between Matthews and Dimuth Karunaratne has gotten Sri Lanka to 126 for 3.

Comment

Karunaratne looked the best SL batsman by some distance against England. Meanwhile Pujara has gone. Kohli needs to make a century.

Comment

Great contest with Kohli circumspect and Rahane flashing the strokes, but India still clawing only a couple of runs per over out of that Australian lead

Comment

Rahane slowed down after the near run-a-ball first 25 runs, taking ~75 more to get to his 50. And it would appear that Kohli completely understands that he needs a ton, and is determined to get one.

Despite the fightback in the afternoon/evening, one would still rather be in Australia's position than India's. The 'add two wickets' thing shows the visitors are still behind in the match at this point.

Comment

Kohli needs at least 150, I would have thought, unless the tail wags. He'd want to stay in until tea.

Comment

Kohli gets what you might call a weekend dad hundred. It didn’t look enough but now Australia are effectively four down as the lead reaches 130

Comment

The lead is 175. India are missing Ashwin, so I think Aus are favourites to set a 275+ target.

Comment

Australia all out for 243, a lead of 286. Can't see India getting that, not without another big Kohli innings and a.n.other. And plenty of time for Australia to bowl them out too, so assuming the weather is fine, then the draw is off the cards.

Comment

And the shitness of India's opening partnership already on display as Rahul is out 4th ball.

Comment

|Kohli gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                  |Kohli gone.
                                  Yes, and that's the match, you'd think.

Comment

Australia always had their noses in front throughout this Test, due to that extremely slim India batting line-up.

Comment

Is it just me who thinks the GOAT thing applied to Lyon is irritating? I mean he;s a great bowler and he seems like a nice enough bloke, but I find myself willing him to fail because of this fucking GOAT shit

Comment

Yeah, best Aussie off spinner of all time, possibly. Not really enough to warrant GOAT as a nickname.

Comment

If he was a nice guy, I'd be all for it, as he's matured into an excellent bowler, but he's a scumbag, so not.

Comment

A senior sometime OTF-er and India supporter summarises Pakistan v England contests as 'LoTE v GoTE' (lesser and greater of two evils)

Comment

I think Latham carrying his bat to score 264* deserves a mention too. Sri Lanka getting a drubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                Australia always had their noses in front throughout this Test, due to that extremely slim India batting line-up.
                                                Batting first is still a huge advantage in Tests and India have not done it very often recently (e.g. Root winning all the tosses) but, yes, you can't win series away with frail batting unless you get very lucky.

Sri Lanka might have fallen below Bangladesh right now. Really poor side.

Lyon might be GOAT Australian off-spinner (Hugh Trumble seems to be the only one with better stats) but there are many English and Indian off-spinners ahead of him so it's a dubious title.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-12-2018, 12:50.

Comment

Anyone else enjoying the ABC commentary on 5live sports extra overnight.

I'm sure back in the day these foreign broadcasts were cut to the UK studio for ad breaks and such like but no such thing with this so it's eight hours of Australiana. I'm particularly found of the news reports. I mean who knew diplomatic relationships between Australia and Malaysia have been strained due to Canberra's recognition of West Jerusalem as the Israel capital. Whereas TMS is full of folk texting in the state of rain clouds down the road from venue, this one's all about people driving ten hours across the desert to get to a wedding. If they could just announce the live score more often it'd be perfect.

Comment

Yes, enjoying drifting in and out of sleep to it when I remember it’s on. Always good to hear more Jim Maxwell.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X