No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd never heard of Holly Wainwright, but she has a pithy and pertinent take on this story:

"If a sportsman really wants to feel the wrath of Australia, it seems, he needs to damage a cricket ball. Not a woman.”

(Exhibits A - Z: players from various football codes, every other week ...)

Comment

Australia chasing a Clive Lloyd-level target of 612.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
        Australia chasing a Clive Lloyd-level target of 612.
        South Africa go for humiliation then rather than a swift end. I predict a winning margin of over 400 runs.

Comment

3 wickets down now. Could be even more.

The test I'm thinking of West Indies won by 425 runs.

Comment

Faf (and, presumably, Ottis Gibson) has been incredibly conservative today with a fairly late declaration, and some inexplicably defensive field settings. Rather than going for humiliation, it looks more like huge (and too much) respect for Australia.

Comment

Bit like Cronje over here in 1998.

Do Australia have a Robert Croft in the ranks?

Comment

The Guardian's OBO mentioned that SA have only one completely fit bowler in the left-arm spinner Maharaj, so that probably played on Faf's mind. Rabada's got a stiff back, Morkel a side strain and Philander has a groin issue

Comment

I suppose everybody is heartily sick of contemplating ball tampering, but this piece is the most incisive commentary on the issue I've read yet, particularly for its focus on the conspiracy of silence that created the conditions for Sandpapergate to happen. The article also has some delightful one-liners.

Comment

Fully agree. It exposes Sutherland's level of knowledge and therefore culpability, which is maybe why he had to be seen to punish the 3 players so severely and get rid of Lehmann. Sutherland has to go eventually when the stink is traced back to him, unless others are protecting him. Surely sponsor pressure and TV money pressure will force a change?

On the cricket, credit to Morkel and Philander for wrapping this up so quickly. 612 was a piss-take and perhaps a bit of revenge. Gets them in the record books for biggest hammering by runs margin since the 1930s.

Comment

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/con...ds/283901.html

Comment

I was disappointed when the last partnership beat the 500-run margin. It was like that goal Brazil scored in the 1-7 against Germany.

Comment

492 runs is marvellous.

When South Africa beat us over here by 356 runs (1994), I thought that was impressive enough bit of grinding in the dirt. This game though, that's something else. Elgar taking 250 balls to score 81, that's proper stuff.

Comment

Reminiscent of Tavare at his very "best".

Comment

I've found some footage of Tavare hitting a six.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0KywZK3pw

Comment

Mudassar took 449 balls for his 114 in 1977-78. Manjrekar 422 for 104 v Zim 1992. Grant Flower 297 to score 82 same game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1...babwe-1992-93/

But none of these were starting with a 200 innings lead, which makes Elgar's unique in my memory. I'm not sure it was the injuries to the bowlers. They did it to show who's the boss now, at this moment. Like Muhammad Ali spinning out a win over Ernie Terrell to inflict more humiliation.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post
                                  I've found some footage of Tavare hitting a six.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R0KywZK3pw
                                  When he went to Somerset in the late 80s he was a great one day player.

Comment

He only went into that defensive mode in Tests, unlike Boycott who did it even in one-dayers (see 1979 World Cup final).

Comment

One night at a pub quiz, the question was: "What was Geoff Boycott the first to achieve." Teammate deadpans: "Take five days to score a test century?"

Comment

I am struggling to answer that question. 8000 Test runs by an Englishman?

Comment

Sky sports presenter to be suspended for abusing a woman?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            I am struggling to answer that question. 8000 Test runs by an Englishman?
                                            First player to score 99* in a test, I think.

Rogin's answer is doubtless correct, but that happened after said pub quiz.

Comment

He was the first player to score his hundredth hundred in a test match

I'm sure he was first at a lot more things too.

Comment

Ah yes, that was the answer.

Comment

"Ball-tampering trio treated like criminals", says Glenn Maxwell. Yes, they were carted off in a police van and held in a crowded jail... Real victims.

I don't think Maxwell is doing anyone favours by painting Smith, Warner and Bancroft as victims (the latter maybe, but then a victim of Warner). And if he is indeed expressing the sentiment of the team, then it would seem that the Australian players still haven't figured out why the public -- especially the Australian cricket fans -- was so enraged at what had happened. Maxwell's comments seem to suggest that the team is sorry not for what had happened, but that they had been found out. Which would mean that wrong lessons were learnt.

That, or Maxwell is talking crap and needs to be flicked with wet towels in the dressing room.

Comment

Looking sharp, Ireland. Let's hope the weather holds.

https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket/status/993844028188839936
                                                    https://twitter.com/Irelandcricket/s...44028188839936

Comment

Working...
                                                    X