International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    The Afghans are victims of the format. 10% ahead of Zimbabwe in the rankings but likely to finish below them in a tournament staged in Zimbabwe.
    Afghanistan have brought it on themselves. They may have had the upper hand over Zimbabwe in recent meetings but they lost to Scotland, imploded from a winning position against Zimbabwe and lost to Hong Kong. They know how to win in Zimbabwe but not this time. Rashid Khan, possibly their most influential player, just hasn't done much for them this time.
    Last edited by Greenlander; 10-03-2018, 21:09. Reason: Or what Etienne said

Comment

De Villiers playing an absolute gem here to get SA a priceless first innings lead. Australia with almost everyone on the fence.

Comment

David Warner: Cricket South Africa apologises over Sonny Bill Williams masks

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

I'm guessing this was the cause of the incident on the pitch between Warner and De Kock.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
          David Warner: Cricket South Africa apologises over Sonny Bill Williams masks

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard

I'm guessing this was the cause of the incident on the pitch between Warner and De Kock.
          Yes. Warner's wife went out with Williams some time ago, before they married. I'm guessing that Warner was fairly obnoxious for a while and De Kock chucked out an easy sledge that Warner took exception to. He is an odious tool, isn't he? I don't have much info on De Kock, but I guess it's hard not to respond to almost continuous abuse.

Comment

Ah right, there’s some sort of history there? That news story is completely opaque

Maharaj smacks Starc for three boundaries in a row. Wake up G-Man!

Comment

De Villiers is averaging 57+ in five Tests against India and Australia on bowlers' pitches. Amazing stuff. SAF also have three bowlers averaging 20.00 or less in 2018, putting them above the Aussie quicks statistically at least.

Shami has been the pick of India's bowlers but he has other issues to deal with at this point.
              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-03-2018, 18:08.

Comment

But SA handicap themselves by playing De Bruyne for some reason.

The Australians are shitbags though. They sledge like motherfuckers, but woe befall those who sledge back. I mean, Quinton de Kock is hardly a Merv Hughes type of character (or, as we have seen, an Eddo Brandes). Whatever caused him to talk about Warner's private life, it probably had cause. But for SA officials to get in on it is childish. This isn't the White House!

Meanwhile Rabada is probably going to be suspended for the last two tests. And he has himself to blame.

Comment

Rabada's started well this morning. 3 more wickets already, 6 of the 8 to have fallen in Australia's second innings. Australia are effectively 69/8 at the moment

Comment

Australia all out for 239 a lead of exactly 100. (Another annoyingly productive 10th wicket partnership got them that far)

Comment

SA have been making heavy weather of chasing down 101. Four wickets down, though only three more runs needed.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post

The Australians are shitbags though. They sledge like motherfuckers, but woe befall those who sledge back. I mean, Quinton de Kock is hardly a Merv Hughes type of character (or, as we have seen, an Eddo Brandes). Whatever caused him to talk about Warner's private life, it probably had cause.
                        I do find it strange that, on here and most cricket forums, every Australian sledge is deemed disgusting and yet almost every sledge aimed towards them is considered justified. Not just you at all, G-Man (and you do criticise Rabada) , but it's the prevailing attitude.

It's like singling out Italians as uniquely prolific divers in football when everyone's at it.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-03-2018, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          I do find it strange that, on here and most cricket forums, every Australian sledge is deemed disgusting and yet almost every sledge aimed towards them is considered justified. Not just you at all, G-Man (and you do criticise Rabada) , but it's the prevailing attitude.

It's like singling out Italians as uniquely prolific divers in football when everyone's at it.
                          I think that's a fair point. It should be zero tolerance full stop.

But David Warner.

Comment

Well, after an hour of ceaseless sledging, with Warner calling de Kock a coward/weakling, is asking for a response. My problem with the Australians isn't so much the sledging, but the hurt feelings they display when they are on the receiving end. Warner's reaction was an example of that.

That was also exemplified by McGrath reaction in the West Indies, in the "Lara's dick" story. It was great to be a homophobic fuck towards Sarwan, but when Sarwan dished it back (presumably not knowing the condition of Mrs McGrath), McGrath freaked out as the injured party. If you start a fist-fight, don't complain when your opponent kicks you in the nuts.

I'd prefer there was no sledging.

Comment

Afghanistan are through to the SuperSixes following Nepal’s win over Hong Kong.

Comment

I agree with the zero tolerance line.

I think the fact that Australia nearly always seem to be involved does say something. I don't think England, say, should get off the hook, and people like Stokes and Broad are regularly slated (and rightly so) for dishing it out. But this question seems to come up in series that involve Australia. Whether it be the Ashes, or Australia vs South Africa, or Australia vs India. It's entirely possible that I'm overlooking a bunch of vicious needle that goes down when New Zealand play Sri Lanka, but I don't think so.

FWIW I am quite sure that Australia don't start every fight and I imagine that they are pretty much as sinned against as sinning, when they get into it. But they do seem to always be there. Just like in times gone by on this board there were always posters who were there or thereabouts when there was a scrap. Those posters demonstrably didn't start every argument they got involved in, but somehow they always seemed to be in the thick of every stramash. And now they're gone, somehow things seem a lot more peaceful.

Comment

Australia developed sledging as a systematic tactic, such that I think every Australian captain from Ian Chappell onwards has used it. Viv Richards has implied that the 70s sledging was overtly racist.

With other teams it seems to be loudmouthed individuals rather than the entire XI doing it. Stokes and Broad might have been guilty of doing it against India and Pakistan IIRC.

Comment

Oh please, England are at it just as much. To pick only the most obvious other example, James Anderson is known across the cricketing world as one of the most toxic sledgers towards any opponent. Even worse he’s a hypocrite because at regular intervals he’ll call for an end to sledging or whinge when an opponent gives him some of his own medicine, just like you all accuse Warner of doing.

This “Please Miss, they started it!” over Australia is pathetic - they may have pushed the boundaries originally decades ago but all the other major cricketing nations - England, India, South Africa and Pakistan - have followed suit and this English sanctimony over the issue is laughable.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-03-2018, 23:40.

Comment

But giving James Anderson as a example of a notorious English sledger doesn't answer the point that Australia as a team use this as a tactic. Steve Smith basically admitted this when he said after the 1st test that 'we play better when we hunt as a pack'. It's systematic with them. So, I think, is this talk of theirs of a 'line' whose definition they seem to assume ownersip of and which they never (quite) cross - 'we might headbutt it now and again' - but other sides do. It's interesting too that other sides, like South Africa now, talk about 'that's what you expect when you play Australia'. When Anderson or Stokes are at it, other teams are much more likely to say 'that's what you expect from Jimmy (or Ben)'.

There was a good piece on cricinfo a couple of weeks back saying pretty much this. Graeme Smith (I think it was him, it was an ex-player pundit anyway) suggested umpires are intimidated by Australia. Ian Chappell has been critical of Smith and Lehmann over it. There might be hypocrisy in some of this, but it can't all be explained away by hypocrisy, from England or whoever.

Comment

This is the piece I was referring to :

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...n-line-control

Comment

Have Afghanistan woken up? West Indies restricted to 197-8 in their 50 overs.

Comment

Afghanistan 106-3 off 27.5. Narrow favourites, I'd think.
                                            The Scots are thrashing UAE.

Comment

Rahmat out so it's down to the lower middle order to try to get them home.

PNG have just been thumped in a play off by Nepal, which probably means they were the worst side in the tournament, the only one going home without a win.

Comment

30 needed from 7 overs with 5 wickets left. Interesting. Holder and Paul, WI's two most economical bowlers and takers of 3 wickets, have 5 overs remaining between them.

Comment

IIRC Afghanistan don't carry forward defeats to teams that are already out so win here puts them back in it, I think, and also will help their ICC ranking.

Comment

The defeats against Zimbabwe and Scotland do carry over, so they will need to win all their three games. But if they can beat the Windies, they will surely think they can beat UAE and Ireland too.

Of course, they still might need a hand elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X