No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a strange decision to take the players off. In the preceding overs, Elgar fended off a couple of short balls from Bumrah that rose as high as the one that hit him on the head. I suspect that persuaded the umpires that the pitch might be dangerous. The rain will have tempered things a little; India lost maybe 2-3 overs before play would have stopped anyway.

But India will have a right to feel aggrieved. Also because after the events of today, they might feel they'll have to bowl less aggressively than Bumrah did this afternoon, lest the umpires pull the players of again.

Comment

I don't know how this works.

Do they pronounce a pitch safe, and get on with it? Or is it like bad light, and they say "it's ok, but you can't bowl quick?"

Comment

The one that whacked Elgar earlier was pretty awful.

Comment

It was a strange decision to take the players off. In the preceding overs, Elgar fended off a couple of short balls from Bumrah that rose as high as the one that hit him on the head. I suspect that persuaded the umpires that the pitch might be dangerous. The rain will have tempered things a little; India lost maybe 2-3 overs before play would have stopped anyway.

But India will have a right to feel aggrieved. Also because after the events of today, they might feel they'll have to bowl less aggressively than Bumrah did this afternoon, lest the umpires pull the players of again.

Comment

Come again?

Comment

Let's hope not, GO. No-one wants to see that.

Comment

Who's South Africa's equivalent of Harry Brind, the old TCCB pitches inspector?

Does anybody know what the pitches inspector did on a normal day? Was he just sat there on the off chance he got a call about 16 wickets falling on the first day at Kidderminster/Abergavenny/Nuneaton/Insert outground?
                Last edited by Tubby Isaacs; 26-01-2018, 19:23.

Comment

I think he consulted with errant counties on pitch improvements, such as when he worked with Yorkshire on the Headingley square.

The umpires have fucked up this last Test with their dithering. Elgar seems to have been spooked before the innings started, like an England batsman in Jamaica in 1986. After they allowed play to continue in the third morning session, they had to see the game through, rather than suspending play when the game was firmly in India's favour.

It's a tough position for South Africa's captain though. If he bats on, he exposes his players to risk. If he refuses, it looks like he waited until the game had swung India's way.

Comment

Start of play now delayed because of the wet outfield.

SA must bat on. There is no good reason not to, especially having peppered the Indian batsmen with some pretty spicy balls themselves. Faf is a tough guy; I can't imagine him laying soft. And there are no technical reasons to justify abandoning the test. Thank goodness this is a dead rubber.

Though I must say, if something winds Kohli up, it probably is a good thing. I really don't like him.

Comment

Proper intense cricket this. A true battle between batsmen and bowlers (and Dean Elgars mindset). You certainly don't get this in the short form if the game. Gripping stuff.

Comment

They've seen off the new ball. Pendulum swinging back towards SA

Comment

Bumrah having a go round the wicket. Real cricket.

Comment

Awesome Amla.

Comment

De Villiers down, steep bounce, caught at slip.

Comment

Du Plessis bowled by ball that keeps low and nips back a mile from Sharma. Nice smile from Du Plessis.

India favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                  I think he consulted with errant counties on pitch improvements, such as when he worked with Yorkshire on the Headingley square.
                                  Ah cheers. Makes sense.

How did they do? Good track?

Comment

De Kock gone .

Philander been hit twice in first four balls.

Comment

All this makes Amla and Elgar's stand look all the more impressive

Comment

Philander hit on the hand again.

Comment

Philander nailed in the box second ball. Ouch.

Comment

New man in Phehlukwayo. Apparently he can score quickly. Could he be South Africa's Jermaine Blackwood?

Comment

He's not even Jermaine Stewart this time. Inside edge and on to the stumps.

Rabada and Elgar then.

Comment

Rabada out, catching practice to slip.

Actually moved nicely to catch the edge, I was harsh on Rabada.

Comment

"New man, Morne Morkel, remember he usually bats at 11".

He bats like an 11 here, cleaned bowled.

Comment

Elgar runs a suicide single off the fifth ball, fielder misses stumps.

Ngidi survives last ball.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X