• Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    US wins by five runs on DLS

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    You might have noticed that a) Netherland is not set in South Florida, and b) that this match involves the US and Papua New Guinea, not India or West Indies.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    As per Netherland, surely American cricket should be able to cultivate a sizeable immigrant fanbase?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Pretty much everyone has pointed out the climatological issues, but I think it is the only fully ICC approved wicket in the country.

They set a 25 over target and got in 13 before the rain returned.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Very odd playing ODI cricket in rainy season in Florida, and it rains a lot more persistently on the east coast than the west. T20 they can get away with.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 13-09-2019, 21:43.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    [URL="https://twitter.com/peterdellapenna/status/1172588672228704263?s=21"]https://twitter.com/peterdellapenna/status/1172588672228704263[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Rashid match figures 11/104. Sensational.

Afghanistan are only the second team in history to win two of their first three Tests according to this, and the first to do so with two wins outside their home turf (as they beat Ireland in India):

https://twitter.com/AWSStats/status/1171021595189678082

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-09-2019, 11:46.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    [URL="https://twitter.com/zaltzcricket/status/1171023757697327104?s=21"]https://twitter.com/zaltzcricket/status/1171023757697327104[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Hasan sees off the rest of the over, but Rashid strikes with 20 balls left. Amazing win for him and Afghanistan.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Afghan win by 224 runs

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    All over. Rashid gets Sarkar.

Many congratulations to Afghanistan. That's a fantastic result

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    In fact they go with Zahir, who lets Hasan score a single off the first ball. Drizzle starts.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Sarkar sees off two overs without Hasan having to face a ball, but can't keep strike again. But it's Nabi who gets to bowl at the 11, not Rashid.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    And it could still rain again.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    They got out for thirteen balls (five runs, no wickets) then it rained again.

They finally managed to get out again, with Bangladesh having to survive 18 and a half overs. Only for Shakib to go to the very first ball. Rashid Khan has got two more since. Seven overs left. Soumya Sarkar still in, with the number eleven.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Looks like Bangladesh might get their wish.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Yes, he given the licence to attack even if it meant he'd go for 4 an over. This does not happen much in today's era, and didn't happen at all in the 80s with any other international spinner I can recall (Bedi would have been the last one before him).

Meanwhile Bangladesh 136/6. Afghanistan almost there. Bangladesh need it to rain all day tomorrow.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    Abdul Qadir was like an old-fashioned winger, hugging the touchline, socks round his ankles. Other spinners of his era were like wide midfield players, expected to tackle back and put a shift in for the team, and never inspiring anyone to try and emulate them in the back garden.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Bangladesh 110/4 chasing 398, the same target England were set in the 1st Test of the current Ashes. Still loads of time, although there has been some rain today (Day 4) and the forecast is not great for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 09:45.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Stumps Day 3: Afghanistan lead by 374 runs with 2 wickets remaining

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    RIP. When me and my chums played, when batting we'd pretend to be Botham, Gower, maybe Viv Richards. Fast bowling it would be Botham again, Willis, Marshall... but if we tried spin it would always be Qadir, who showed us that slow bowling could be aggressive and unpredictable rather than the rather dull containment of the likes of Emburey. We never did master getting the ball to actually spin, but we could do his skipping and weird arm actions pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    Abdul Qadir RIP, only 63. He was the spin bowler who first caught my imagination and taught me that great Test Match bowling wasn't just about pace, seam and swing.
    All of this. A spinner who made me appreciate this art and is why I've always had a soft spot for Pakistan.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Don't know if this is the right thread for it (does it need one of its own?) but Abdul Qadir has died. What a mesmerising player he was

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Yes, worth remembering that Qadir was basically the lone top class spinner while some of the finest pace bowlers ever ruled in the 1980s.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Abdul Qadir RIP, only 63. He was the spin bowler who first caught my imagination and taught me that great Test Match bowling wasn't just about pace, seam and swing.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 06-09-2019, 17:20.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X