No announcement yet.

International Cricket Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big comeback by Pakistan. Unbroken 146 for 6th wicket. Probably favourites now.

Comment

Not much to Pakistan's tail, so a lot will depend on this pair sticking together for a time.

Great game in prospect. Downside of a D/N test, though, is you have to wait ages for the bastard thing to start.

Comment

And so it proved. Only 23 runs added after Sarfraz fell at 225 and Sri Lanka won by 68 runs.

Comment

Ireland v Pakistan Test in May. Take a warm, dry coat and a brolly.

Comment

Test championship, ODI league and four-day tests approved by ICC

Comment

Engel article https://www.theguardian.com/sport/bl...0-test-matches

He makes some strong points: no Tests between early June and early August next year is a shocker. It's also very worrying that teams turn up for away series woefully under-prepared. There were obviously more great players around in 1995-2005 than now, especially bowlers (Root, Kohli, Williamson, Smith, etc, make the batting more even).

But it's simply not true that Test cricket is dying. Bangladesh and WI took a Test each off Australia and England. Sri Lanka beat Pakistan.

I agree we don't need a world Test final but I have no problem with India being #1 at a time when no team is consistently at the top of its game. At least they are indisputably the best batting side, whereas nobody has a great attack.

Comment

I would give Matthew Engel my proxy for all votes on cricket, and possibly life. I can't think of a better UK sports journalist over the past several decades.

So if he wants to stage a coup and take over world cricket, I'd be OK with that.

Comment

Zimbabwe home Test v WI. Not sure I'm OK with Mugabe having this sporting legitimacy.

Comment

WI have just lost their second wicket (35-2) so presently this is competitive.

Comment

WI go from 174/3 to 219/10. Hope stranded 90*

Comment

The Women's Ashes gets underway imminently with an ODI. Which counts as part of the Ashes series, as its once again a points based system across the three formats of the game.
                        Interesting interviews with the skippers at the toss on the make up of their sides. The stand-in Aussie skipper Rachael Haynes listed her entire XI (or tried to, she was clearly struggling to remember the whole side), Heather Knight said "We are unchanged from the World Cup Final"
                        Last edited by Janik; 21-10-2017, 23:13.

Comment

England were motoring along at 103-1, but then a really dozy run-out does for Lauren Winfield just short of her half-century. And with that, time for bed.

Comment

England's batting never got going after that, and despite a couple of hiccups, Blackwell got Australia over the line with 5 balls to spare.

Comment

Would like to see more televised women's games, especially those where the spinners play key roles. Australia used them well yesterday.

Comment

Pakistan have Sri Lanka at 20-5 in the 7th over in the current ODI. Usman Khan with all 5 so far

Comment

WI effectively 429-8 after Day 3. Wicket rather slow but they should be able to see this one through.

Comment

Auckland 62 all out, Wellington reply with 432 for the first wicket. Featuring Michel Papps, last seen about a decade ago.

Comment

Australia with a big total, followed by a fine new ball burst by Schutt, but England have been given a sniff because Perry has been withdrawn from the attack after 2 accidental beamers with a wet ball.

Comment

A glimmer quickly extinguished as Taylor and Sciver go in quick succession. Impossible to see a route to an England win now.

Comment

Zimbabwe have a chance of a 1st innings lead in the 2nd Test - West Indies trail by 65 runs with 3 wickets remaining in the 1st innings. However, current partnership going well (31*).

Comment

England were behind the eight-ball in both the third ODI and in the Ashes series overall when Australia stood at 108/0 after 21.4 overs and 172/2 after 32.2 (RRR at both points barely over a run a ball) on Sunday. However, just like in the World Cup Final, England somehow dug themselves out of this hole, and this time around it was a combined bowling effort. Anya Shrubsole made he initial dent by getting Ellyse Perry, but this time she handed over to her teammates. Alex Hartley got Elyse Villani in the opening ball of the very next over, which became a wicket maiden, Nat Sciver made it consecutive maidens from the other end, the run rate began to skyrocket and with that wickets tumbled. Two for Scriver, another from Hartley and two from Jenny Gunn moping up. Australia fell 20 runs short of the (D/L) total.

Next up, the long-form stuff - a four day warm-up game against a CA XI from Friday to Monday and then the only test beginning next Thursday in Sydney (also over 4 days).

Comment

I've got the India v NZ Twenty20 on.

Not my favourite form of the game, but interesting that the commentators are stressing the importance of having 5 proper bowlers. I remember despairing at teams in 50 overs barely playing 4 proper bowlers.

Comment

Obstinate and obdurate stuff from the Zimbabwe lower order in Bulawayo. Tea being taken and they are 259/7, a lead of 137; 119 runs scored in the 60 overs bowled today with the loss of just 3 wickets. Proper test cricket.

Comment

Cheers, Janik, for that. Very interesting game. England are impressively resourceful, although the number of big opening partnerships against them (including in the world cup) is a major worry. Has Katherine Brunt lost a lot of pace? They really seem to have very few options for decent pace.

Comment

First day of the Test. Beaumont and Knight gave England a solid start, but they have lost regular wickets since and are now 229-6 after Taylor gives it away having looked in great form.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X