• Show
Clear All

• Etienne
    replied
    |Kohli gone.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    And the shitness of India's opening partnership already on display as Rahul is out 4th ball.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Australia all out for 243, a lead of 286. Can't see India getting that, not without another big Kohli innings and a.n.other. And plenty of time for Australia to bowl them out too, so assuming the weather is fine, then the draw is off the cards.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    The lead is 175. India are missing Ashwin, so I think Aus are favourites to set a 275+ target.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Kohli gets what you might call a weekend dad hundred. It didn’t look enough but now Australia are effectively four down as the lead reaches 130

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Kohli needs at least 150, I would have thought, unless the tail wags. He'd want to stay in until tea.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Rahane slowed down after the near run-a-ball first 25 runs, taking ~75 more to get to his 50. And it would appear that Kohli completely understands that he needs a ton, and is determined to get one.

Despite the fightback in the afternoon/evening, one would still rather be in Australia's position than India's. The 'add two wickets' thing shows the visitors are still behind in the match at this point.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Great contest with Kohli circumspect and Rahane flashing the strokes, but India still clawing only a couple of runs per over out of that Australian lead

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Karunaratne looked the best SL batsman by some distance against England. Meanwhile Pujara has gone. Kohli needs to make a century.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Remarkable partnership between Matthews and Dimuth Karunaratne has gotten Sri Lanka to 126 for 3.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    We once sat next to Vaughn at breakfast in London and I am not at all surprised.

The New Zealand/Sri Lanka tests are live on ESPN+ here. NZ won the toss and put SL in. The wisdom of that choice is reflected in the fact that Sri Lanka are now 9 for 3.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Should we be surprised that Michael Vaughan is a Trumper? Thirty years ago most of his predecessors were calling for the readmissoon of apartheid South Africa to Test cricket.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Some observations after watching highlights from the first day in Perth

I miss the WACA. Concrete bowls just don’t do it for me, especially when entire sections are empty.

Both teams have things to be happy for and regret. AUS would probably have taken 277 for 6 at the toss, but not after being 112 for no loss. India have to think that they can score on this wicket, which looks rather docile except for episodic weird bounces.

Kohli can field. Shame about his teammates.

The AUS team are much of a muchness and appear to have been told to put a lid on what little personality they have.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
    Are they still planning that World Test championship thing? I can envisage that league table being swayed quite dramatically by the odd away win like this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...t_Championship

It means there are no dead rubbers in points terms, which is good
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 10-12-2018, 13:42.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    For the first time in the history of test cricket, all 20 second innings wickets were catches.

35 catches in both innings is also a record, and Pant tied the record for catches in a single Test with 11.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-12-2018, 13:41.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Startling to find out that this this is only India's 6th test match win in Australia - ever
    It’s the first time they’ve ever taken a lead in a series in Australia too.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    But stopping on 32 did make for a 31-run Indian win. Maybe that is what they were going for?
    Maybe. Cunning.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    But stopping on 32 did make for a 31-run Indian win. Maybe that is what they were going for?

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    Winning tests away from home has never, ever been easy. I suspect there are quite a few oddly low looking numbers across the matrix of head-to-heads.
    Are they still planning that World Test championship thing? I can envisage that league table being swayed quite dramatically by the odd away win like this.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Partnerships after the 4th wicket went down at 84:
    31, 41, 31, 41, 31, 32
    rather let down by that last one, 9 more runs would have been ideal.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Winning tests away from home has never, ever been easy. I suspect there are quite a few oddly low looking numbers across the matrix of head-to-heads.

The campaign for real tests would rate this game very highly. An even contest between bat and ball, played on a pitch that was not a road but instead offered bowlers of various styles something to work with but not giving gifts. Batsmen who grafted and were patient could accumulate a score, but that was the only way - trying to cow the bowlers by attacking was counterproductive. It all resulted in an even contest with ~30 runs per wicket that concluded on day 5. Ticks almost every box.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Startling to find out that this this is only India's 6th test match win in Australia - ever

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Australia are making them sweat a bit here...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Paine skies a pull and it is only a matter of time.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Marsh goes while I’m in and out of sleep. Tough road for Australia now. They have been fighting hard but not making enough progress to assert much authority on the game.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-12-2018, 01:25.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X