Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    India maintaining a run rate of 4 an over so should be well over 500 by tea if they are still in, and they won't need to declare.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 04-01-2019, 01:24.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Starc’s been expensive, and Pujara is running well. Could be a hard road for Australia to win this from here

The ever classy Nathan Lyon seemed to spend the press conference yesterday criticising Australia’s bowling tactics (with reason, but without diplomacy).

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Are Australia going to be competitive in the Ashes? Not looking likely at present unless Anderson gets injured. Even then, I wouldn't put money on them.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Agarwal has made his test debut , opening the batting, in Australia, against a strong bowling attack and scored 76, 42, and 77 in his three innings so far. In a position India were clearly struggling with. And yet, I've just seen him criticised (in India obviously) for not going on to make centuries. The Indian cricket commentariat and fan base appear to have such ludicrous expectations that they make football club message boards seem like reasonable places full of thoughtful and sober analysis

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    303/4 at the close. Another good day for India and another good day for Pujara

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Lot of movement and KL Rahul gone already.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Blimey that came around quick. India win the toss and bat. Australia bring on Labuschange at number three and Peter Handscombe to bat anywhere for a duck off a handful of balls. They’re currently holding some kind of brief Indigenous ceremony before the start. One of the sub fielders at the SCG is one Austin Waugh.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    What a poignant observation. And England’s most succesful opening partnership of all time, I would guess?

Leave a comment:

• nmrfox
    replied
    So tragic that two of England's best opening batsmen and captains in recent years have such contrasting weekends.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    I agree. Imagine being his successor as well, and trying to lead a team with him still in it.

Thankfully, it's all hypthetical now, and there's no decision to make.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Stripping the captaincy from Kohli?! I sure wouldn’t like to be the one to tell him.

Anyway, I love the intensity and commitment he brings to Test cricket. It needs it.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Hmm, they can mainly do in or around the sub-continent.

Otherwise beating an under strength Australia, is worthy of note. Nothing more

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    There was an Indian journalist on one of the cricket podcasts recently saying that, if India don't win the series or at least retain the trophy, Kohli should either resign or be sacked as captain.

When he started to justify this, I began to feel he had a point. India have a truly outstanding bowling attack and two, possibly three, world-class top-order batsmen. To lose three away series in the year would have been unacceptable given the talent they've got. And if you look at some of their defeats, questions of selection and captaincy can definitely be raised ; Pujara not starting the England series, two spinners at Lords on a green pitch, none in Southampton or Perth etc. The guy's other point was that Kohli is such a nervous, volatile presence that this can sometimes distract his own team rather than the opposition, a factor which might also have contributed to the Perth defeat.

These questions can be put aside for now given that India have managed to defend this trophy in Australia. And, whether or not Kohli is the ideal captain for the India team, I find him possibly the most interesting sports personality in the world to listen to. He is always ready to explain the reasons for his on-field decisions, and just gives you more insight into his sport than 100 football captains combined would be able to. I liked the line today, when he was talking about how his bowlers plan for games and his role is 'just to sit and listen'. I suspect that was less about self-deprecation than about total respect and admiration for his team-mates.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Oops

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Quite an uphill task when you take into account that this is a four-match test series.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    2-1 series lead for India.

Bumrah finishes with 9 for 86.

Australia need to win both remaining matches to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Deepest condolences for Strauss and family.

Cummins is a handy cricketer but Australia don't usually give bowlers the captaincy. Perhaps they need to change that?

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    Very sad news. RIP.

Was listening to the coverage from Melbourne this morning. The home commentators were dismissive (NPI) of most of their team- everyone gets a start, then tries to slog it into the sea before predictably holing out. The two exceptions with both patience and technique to cope are Khawaja and Cummins, so the latter might be an outside bet for future captain batting at #7 and offering 15 overs per day as 3rd or 4th seamer as his pace falls.

An injured Tom picked up somewhere on the Sturt Highway earlier has been named in his honor- Pat the Cat

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Ruth Strauss, wife of Andrew, has died in Australia with the family.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Once again Australia's tail are outbatting their top order

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Both openers gone.

AUS 44 for 2

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I think there was a campaign to shorten his ban so he would have been back for this series.
    Not a campaign really, there was an appeal by the players’ union to Cricket Australia for the bans to be curtailed. It was dismissed.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Interesting, India have declared after adding 50 odd and losing three wickets this morning. Trying to regain a psychological upper hand, sparing your bowlers from bouncers, concerns about the weather, perhaps all of the above? Either way, Australia need to chase just shy of 400 to win.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 29-12-2018, 00:30.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think there was a campaign to shorten his ban so he would have been back for this series.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Oh yeah, oops. I suppose the talk I've been hearing is about reintegrating him as a player.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X