Mid life crisis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid life crisis?

I've just returned from a couple of weeks in the French Alps. Marvellous it was. The thing is, I'm starting a new job next week and it's 15 miles away. I intend to cycle two or three days a week and I don't want to buy a second car (my wife needs our car) so I'm thinking of getting one of these.

Mid life crisis? Bloke returning from holiday and wants to bring the vibe back with him? Good move for someone who wants to be economical, eco-friendly and Paul Weller in disguise?

I don't reallly want ot be Paul Weller, but you know what I mean.

Mid life crisis?

Perhaps a bit of all of the above, but not sure that it doesn't make sense given where you live. You would need some serious foul weather gear, though. They are very open to the elements.

The new ones (like the one you posted) have more bells and whistles, but you can't beat the classic for sheer perfection of form.

Comment

Mid life crisis?

where will you put your books and policy documents?

Comment

Mid life crisis?

There's a storage compartment under the seat.

Comment

Mid life crisis?

but the guy is a head teacher, he is going to have loads of work to do at night. He may have to do a cameron and get some lacky to drive his work home

I started cycling to school in july, just as it was july and I didn't really have any work to do

Comment

Mid life crisis?

I want one of those, too.

Comment

Mid life crisis?

Fausto, Nish, and a few others on their way to the next 'thon (a bank holiday in Brighton, of course).

[img=http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd115/Podesta27/mods.jpg]

Comment

Mid life crisis?

Rick, I've got a strict policy of work is for work and home is for home. It's a job and if it doesn't get done in school hours then it waits until the next day. So I've got it down to a fine art. Besides it's all on pen-drives and email now.

It's thw histles and bells that lure me in like a sparrow with a shiny bottle top. As for foul weather, well..........I cycle anyway so I'm used to it and I can drive once a week if need be.

New or second hand - what's the form with this sort of thing?

Comment

Mid life crisis?

From what I hear around here, the ones to avoid are the 90s models, which were all produced during a very poor period for Piaggio (which also coincided with Yamaha getting some market share here). The new ones are supposed to be much more reliable, though it is worth noting that Suzuki have made inroads into the upper end of the market with the Burgman. The originals are so simple that they can be easily made to last for 30+ years.

I would suggest that you get in touch with a reasonably local club; a relatively high percentage of Vespa people tend to be obsessives (in a good way).

Comment

Mid life crisis?

Thanks Ursus. I did notice that there were a lot of clubs for Vespas.
                    I just popped into the local dealer and they had a couple of beauties in there. The bloke who served me tried to get me to buy a cheaper bike which did exactly the same as the Vespa and was half the price. "But it doesn't look half as good" I said.
                    "But it's a better bike," he replied.
                    "Can you stick loads of mirrors on this one though and lots of lights?" I asked
                    The look I got can only be described as withering.

Comment

Working...
                    X