Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

S. aureus wrote:
    After watching the replays, I have to agree with JV's assessment on the final play. I feel the Cards' offensive lineman could have made an effort to dive on the ball rather than throw his hands up in the air.
    Yeah, but even if it was the right call, it's inexplicable to why it wasn't reviewed. A play like that in that situation in Week 1 would be reviewed for about 5 minutes--so why not review it in the freakin' SUPER BOWL???

Don't know why Santonio Holmes didn't get penalized for using the ball as a prop in the winning TD celebration, either.

This is two Steelers Super Bowls in a row now where they were the beneficiaries of some very questionable decisions from the refs. If the Patriots or the Cowboys got those calls/non-calls, there would be shouts over a conspiracy.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

This is two Steelers Super Bowls in a row now where they were the beneficiaries of some very questionable decisions from the refs.

Both losing teams also got the benefit of bad decisions. In both cases blaming the refs has become a convenient way of deflecting attention away from the Cards' weird no-Fitzgerald-til-too-late gameplan and the fact that the Seahawks were absolutely fucking dreadful.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Michaels and Madden seemed to think that the Cardinals' final play had indeed been reviewed by the booth - perhaps while the TV was replaying it several times.

Unlike the coaches' challenges, where the ref goes "under the hood" and they build up the tension with separate cameras on him and the two coaches while they announce the result, the booth reviews in the final two minutes of each half are much more restrained and less obvious affairs.

So I fully expect it was indeed reviewed - as you say, it'd be inexplicable not to.

Anyway, the Steelers won, so who cares? )

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Hmm, my bad.

I've checked the play-by-play on nfl.com and for that last Cardinals play they make no mention of any booth review. That is surprising.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

The NFL's head of officials came on ESPN radio the next day and affirmed that it was reviewed in the booth and they told the refs that it was a fumble and didn't need further review. Reviews in the last two minutes are handled by the booth.

This is two Steelers Super Bowls in a row now where they were the beneficiaries of some very questionable decisions from the refs. If the Patriots or the Cowboys got those calls/non-calls, there would be shouts over a conspiracy.
            I've heard plenty of those shouts, they just aren't very credible in this case. The Seahawks game was was very poorly officiated. This one wasn't bad. The Cardinals got called for a lot of penalties because they committed them. Holding especially.

If the refs were really in the tank, they would not have called that holding (which I couldn't see on the replay I saw) in the endzone against the Steelers that gave the Cardinals the two points and the ball. That nearly decided the game.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
              The Cardinals got called for a lot of penalties because they committed them. Holding especially.
              Arguably, the holding ones they can be excused for making, but it was the just plain stupid personal fouls and roughing calls that killed them, ultimately. The Steelers got totally let off the hook by those offences on at least one occasion, when they would have been in serious trouble otherwise.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Oh well, my final statement on 08-09 is that it was a very good season. The Giants were obviously the best team, but Arizona was inspiring and a lot of fun and a most worthy replacement in the final.

Comment

Working...
                X