Reality NFL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

Idiot Vikings not expecting a screen to Westbrook ?

Idiots. I hate that geek Childress.

Good Ed Reed interview explaining how he catches so many picks.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Cheers for that Ed Reed link, Jason.

Having been away from the game for so long, can I just ask: Is that 'best safety ever' tag accurate? Is he really better than Ronnie Lott, for instance?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

That's called "American Short Attention Span Syndrome." Real good question, however. Ronnie Lott was probably a much better tackler, but Ed Reed is definitely the greatest ever at knowing exactly where a ball will end up at any given time.

But he is the first to score a punt block TD, a punt return TD, a fumble recovery TD, and obviously an interception return TD. (I suppose all he needs is a blocked FG TD.)

Cornerbacks have more picks and returns for picks, so he won't show up on any all-time records (save his 108 Yard TD return,) but his game goes beyond stats.

So we have:

Eagles @ Giants
        Obviously would have been better to get the Cards - who see a snowflake and want to go home (as they showed in New England a few weeks ago - ) but this is not a good game for the Giants by any stretch of the imagination. However, we've seen this "Team of Destiny" shit from the Iggles plenty of times before (4th and 26, Jeff Garcia, Rush Limbaugh's McNabb comments, etc,) and they will not contain a rested Brandon Jacobs.

NYG 24:14 Philadelphia

Cards @ Panthers
        If the Cardinals see a snowflake, they will lose by 60. If they're in an opposing stadium, they'll only lose by 30.

Panthers 44:14 Cardinals

Chargers @ Pittsburgh

Pitt grinds em bit by bit, and wins the most boring game of the weekend.

Pitt 10:7 San Diego

Ravens @ Titans

So great to see Ravens-Titans 2.0. The best rivalry of the 00's gets taken to another level. I was much more impressed with Flacco over Matt Ryan all year, anyway. He simply has no emotion, and makes no mistakes. Look at that 40 yard throw he had on 3rd and 9 at the end of the 1st half against a Miami blitz with his team up only 10-3. I'll take Flacco's no TDs and no picks over Ryans 2 TDs and 2 picks anyday.

While Tennessee picked Flacco off twice in week 5, they've lost 3 of their last 6. The only game Baltimore lost since getting creamed by the Giants in week 11 was the screwjob in Pittsburgh. Kerry Collins is going to have Post-Superbowl XXXV-Stress-Syndrome, and the Titans will lose.

Baltimore 21:10 Tennessee

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

jason voorhees wrote:
          Chargers @ Pittsburgh

Pitt grinds em bit by bit, and wins the most boring game of the weekend.

Pitt 10:7 San Diego
          I don't know. Darren Sproles might be practicing on running under and between the Pittsburgh LB's legs.

The basketball blog Free Darko uses the term "swag." Defined in an interview thusly:
          When people ask me what "swag" means, I say "swagger," but that's not quite right. Can you define swag?

"Swagger" to me indicates some kind of motion, like if not actual "swaggering," then doing something else with "swagger." But "swag" is both more psychological, and so confident it doesn't even need an extra syllable or a physical act to make its point. It's a state of mind, not a
          public performance."
          Ed Reed has tremendous swag.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Destiny.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I thought 'swag' meant free goodies given away at media events and such.

Go Giants!

That. Is. All.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Swag used to be weed.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I thought "schwag" was weed.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

In my world, swag means what FF said - free shit.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

This season I may, for the first time, offer my services as a 'freelance jinxer'. That is, you tell me which team you want jinxed, say how much you're willing to pay me to do so and I'll openly say on this board that they will reach the Superbowl. Then all you have to do is sit back and watch them get knocked out in the very next round.

At first I thought of simply making a Superbowl prediction, but then I thought "No - I just know what will happen, then!" and it was at that point I hit upon the idea of doing the reverse and making some money out of it in the process.

So let the bidding begin!

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

In absence (yuck) of the Saints, I like the Eagles and Steelers.

When I was in the US in August I was led to believe the Redskins would be one of the top teams. Whatever happened to them?

I read the Washington Post then, mind you.

Katie, the 12-year old daughter of our Annapolis host family, said she liked the Ravens and Redskins, but NOT the Patriots. To me the Ravens still look artificial. And I was in Baltimore for three days, with all the flags pronouncing the city "Raven Country". I mean Ravens? They're scavengers, right? Could have called them Baltimore Vultures. Would have sounded much better.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I'm not a big fan of purple and black, but I think Ravens is a great name. They're among the cleverest of birds, as smart as parrots, apparently. And they look cool.

The Ravens seem a lot less artificial to me now than they once did. They're a pretty good organization overall thanks to Ozzie Newsome. With Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, they've really established an identity of their own and the city has really embraced them as smaller, less-affluent cities often do with their football teams (see Pittsburgh, Cleveland, etc). To their credit, Baltimore never adopted the Redskins after the Colts left, whereas much of Washington just switched to the Orioles or another baseball team after the Senators left.

I don't know who gave you the idea the Redskins would be any good. In August, it looked like they were a lock to finish last in the NFC east. Then they beat the Cowboys and the Eagles and things were looking up, but then their form regressed to the mean and they finished 8-8, which perfectly reflects their mediocrity.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I always thought the Ravens name came from the city's connection to Edgar Allen Poe? They should've taken the Colts back.. Our local boy Flacco is doing them proud though, I'd like to see them make the Super Bowl.

JV, I think you're right concerning a rested Giants team- too much of an advantage this late in the season.. It pains me to admit it but I'll go with 21-10 G-men.

I would love to see the Cards play well this week and beat the Panthers (who still feel artificial to me) but they won't.. 35-17 Panthers.

Tenn v Baltimore is a bit of a toss-up.. 17-14 Ravens..

setting up a match-up with the Stillers who will beat the Chargers 24-14.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Dynamo Kev wrote:
                              I always thought the Ravens name came from the city's connection to Edgar Allen Poe?
                              Correct.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

The Ravens always had a sloppy seconds feeling to them, but agree with reed now. They're starting to take it to a level that B-more must be realizing they have something truly authentic, hard-nosed (apologies to the college football thread, but I mean hard-nosed in terms of smashmouth east coast football,) and great. I think as the Colts fade into memory and history, and the Ravens put together a few more years of great football, it should be back to normal. (I have to also believe that The Wire and Homicide:Life On The Streets must've played some kind of role, in terms of the history of B-more "before" those shows and "after" those shows.)

As reed also noted, Ed Reed and Ray Lewis were Ravens for life. As they put together a few more incredible seasons, and take on the guise of old battle-hardened warriors fighting for B-more through thick and thin, the Colts will be mostly forgotten.

Keep in mind as well, Joe Flacco was only 11 years old when the Ravens started in Baltimore. To be 15 when they won the Super Bowl must've made them a glamorous team to play form, and for a city where the impact of losing the Colts must've not have been that big a deal. At least the ride from South Jersey for his 5 siblings and multitude of cousins must be less than 2 hours.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Or to put it another way, the Colts belong to Barry Levinson's Baltimore, the city of Diner and Tin Men, while the Ravens belong to the Baltimore of The Wire.

The latter occupies the same physical space as Levinson's city, but is very much a different place in virtually every other respect.

Homicide: Life on the Streets represents the transition from one city to the other, with the older characters still having some sense of identification with Johnny Unitas and Lenny Moore, while the younger ones would prefer to wear purple. As a matter of fact, Levinson was an executive producer for Homicide: Life on the Streets.

In baseball terms, one can see The Honeymooners as representing the Brooklyn/New York of the Dodgers and Seinfeld as that of the Mets, with The Odd Couple providing the link.

Having been among the masses trapped in O'Hare Airport over the holidays, I had the chance to see all of the Bears/Packers game (arriving in the US) and a good part of the Vikings/Eagles playoff game (departing), each of which served to remind me why I really don't like American football (though anything that helps pass the time in such situations is not to be sneezed at).

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

When teams move, they shouldn't be allowed to take the team name and colors. That should be a Federal Law.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I liked the one about the Jewish boy falling in love with the black girl (also a Levinson film). Ah yeah, Liberty Heights, I think it was called.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

ursus arctos wrote:
                                        Or to put it another way, the Colts belong to Barry Levinson's Baltimore, the city of Diner and Tin Men, while the Ravens belong to the Baltimore of The Wire.

The latter occupies the same physical space as Levinson's city, but is very much a different place in virtually every other respect.
                                        Is there a place in sports for John Waters' Baltimore?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Is there a place in sports for John Waters' Baltimore?
                                          I think this is what you are looking for, Inca.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Getting my predictions in before I forget (and I have nothing to say on Baltimore the city):
                                            Giants 20-17 Iggles
                                            Panthers 40-10 Arizona

Titans 17-13 Ravens
                                            Steelers 17-14 Chargers

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Great post as usual, ursus, and perfect followup Scotian. Important point about transitions. Especially that HLOTS focused on the CFL Colts, in which the police force was asked to walk out before the game as a Tribute to the Police, and they mused if this was really something that should be done (have a bootleg Colts, or if it was great to stiff Indianapolis.)

However, Bears-Packers and Eagles-Vikings were some of the worst games of the season, but what can you do. Every week can't be Giants-Panthers.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

NY 23-17 Phila.
                                                Carolina 31-17 Arizona

Tenn 13-17 Baltimore
                                                Pitt 21-17 SD

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Help!

Can someone tell me where (online) I can hear a *free* live webcast of the playoff games?

It used to be easy to find, but now it's got far more difficult, it seems ...at least on 'this side of The Pond'.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Never mind what I just posted - it doesn't appear to include post-season games.

I'll keep looking.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X