Reality NFL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

Well, we won't be able to say Umenyiora's name over and over again this season. That was the highlight of the Superbowl for me.

Reality NFL 2008

"Supporting" Green Bay (well, as much as is possible from a small town in New Zealand). Glad the whole Favre clusterfuck is over with.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Duante Culpepper has retired. Rather unbelievable to think that just a few years ago, he had one of the greatest seasons for a quarterback ever, and didn't really get as much credit for it since he was overshadowed by Peyton Manning.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I've been sort of out of it lately. Why are the Redskins and Giants wearing black "GU" patches on their jerseys?

Ohh!!! Scratch that. Gene Upshaw! How could I forget that.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

And oddly enough Ricky Williams is getting good reviews, again- (they were in the same draft)..

It's terrible watching the Giants v Redskins.. why can't both teams lose.. And how does that poncy hillbilly Eli Manning have a ring.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Because he beat the Pats and McSchlab didn't.

Because he plays on the Giants, who are winners, and McSchnab plays on the Eagles, who are losers.

As Brooklyn's own Manino might say, "Hi Hater, Hi Hater, You see me ? Hi Hater."

As Harlem's own Jim Jones might say after Big Blue's tremendous opening victory, "We Fly High, No Lie, You Know ThisBAAALLLLLIIINNNNNN"

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I think you have to be a Saints fan now, JV. At least Shockey will be there to help ease the transition.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

You've got to be kidding, FF.

LSU is one thing, but jv is Big Blue 4 Life.

Dropping the New York Football Giants for the Saints would be like him dropping film and professional wrestling for ballet and ultimate frisbee.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Well, I do have a disturbing connection to the Shockster.

He graduated in Miami, I had my honeymoon in Miami.

I moved to New Orleans. He got traded to New Orleans.

Uhhhhhhhhhh, that's about it.

But I have bought a Big Chin Guy t-shirt;

-along with a few other Saints stickers for my Tundra.

One guy in my program down there busts my chops by saying that I'm a "fair weather fan."

I tell him we just won the greatest Super Bowl of all-time, so if anything, I'm a stormy weather fan.

I figure New Orleans gave us Eli Manning, so I can certainly return the favor and pull for those Aints while I'm down there. Like I tell everyone, there's a reason I'd never move to Dallass. Or Philly. Or DC.

But they have to realize should they meet Big Blue in the playoffs...

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

ursus arctos wrote:
                    Dropping the New York Football Giants for the Saints would be like him dropping film and professional wrestling for ballet and ultimate frisbee.
                    Well they do share five letters, after all, so I don't think it's a big leap. He can use a Sharpie to make an S where the G is and probably no one will notice that the rest of the word is spelled incorrectly.

Go Siants!

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but carrying on with the Miami-New Orleans-LSU theme, I saw the Saints play the Dolphins in Tiger Stadium after Katrina.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

In New Orleans, they're still selling books and memorbilia from the magical 2006 season. That seemed to be a really wonderful thing for the city, but I'm more intrigued in what led up to a Hollywood story - in other words, the 2005 season. How the Saints were perceived in Baton Rouge, who was responsible for keeping Benson in Louisiana instead of San Antonio, etc.

My only hope with Gustav and Ike is that enough season-ticket holders will sell and I'll be able to jump up on the waiting list.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

The Saints will always be loved as much in Baton Rouge as they are in NO. Benson, on the other hand, is a different story. A lot of people resent him for even thinking about moving the team to San Antonio (or L.A.).

Ultimately, I think Katrina was responsible for keeping the Saints in Louisiana. After the Superdome was damaged, it kind of forced the issue of renovation. That's not to say that Tagliabue didn't have anything to do with it, just that Katrina seems to have been the deciding factor. It would have been bad for Benson, image-wise, to move the team away from New Orleans after the city and its people had been through so much. So the state and the league both ponied up money to give the 'Dome a $185m facelift and tummy tuck.

Is there a waiting list for season tickets? I thought they were having trouble selling them all.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

After the hurricane, and after everyone realized that they came close to losing the team - so many people got seasons tickets that they not only sold out every seat, but there's a waiting list as well.

I always like the idea of season tickets, but actually having to go and having no choice to a Sunday never totally works.

Same goes for the Hornets.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

That friend I told you about, the one who lives across Lake Ponchartrain, her family has had season tickets probably since day one. It's like going to church for them. They even pray to the Saints (to please win this time).

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

The Iggles are looking really good. McNabb, Westbrook, and LJ Smith are firing on all cylinders.

In better news, Brady's knee is looking really bad.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Was at the Eagles game today, and, damn, were it not for the fact that St. Louis looks like they'd struggle to compete in the Ivy league, I'd say the Eagles were looking pretty good, too.

I don't know how long it's going to last (probably not passed Roy Williams going after his knees next Monday), but it's great to have McNabb healthy and throwing for 350+ yards despite missing their number 1 and 2 receivers. Even better, their defense absolutely smothered what I thought was going to be a decent Rams offense.

Weird to go to a football game in shorts, but a hell of a first Sunday of the season.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

double post.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Of course Meryl Reese was saying "this victory serves notice to the National Football League that the Philadelphia Eagles ARE BACK !!!!!

It's almost like a greatest hits pf the 00's league this opening weekend. The Carolina Panthers representing from '04, the Eagles representing from '05, the Bears and Saints representing from '06, and the Giants and Cowboys representing from '07. Oh yeah, and a man by the name of Brett Favre throwing 2 TDs.

Forte of Tulane U is looking like this year's Adrian Peterson. That Bears-Vikes game should be really good. Along with the rest of the season. No Tom Brady = Anyone's Game in the AFC.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Brady is only one part of the equation. Don't write us off just yet.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Someone has stolen Gyuri's log in.

It's against the fundamental laws of nature for him to be positive about the Eagles.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

jv, jv, jv, jv... when will you ostoping being a hater and learn to love McNabb and all things from Philly?

Come on, cross over into the light.

I managed to watch the NO TB game yesterday, enjoyed it.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

ursus arctos wrote:
                                              It's against the fundamental laws of nature for him to be positive about the Eagles.
                                              It's against the laws of New Jersey from Trenton to New York to be positive about the Iggles.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Ursus,

I don't know, I think I had enough caveats in that post to prove I am who I am (specifically, that the good will only last until next week against the MF'n Cowboys). Alternatively, I plead sun stroke/heat exhaustion/proximity to cheerleaders. It was a really bizarre day for football and our seats (3rd row on the 35 were the cheapest after-market tickets we could find) made the experience equally bizarre.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Is Brady really gone for the year?

Does that mean that the "Brett Farve-led New York Jets" are now the favorites in the AFC East?

If so, will ESPN set up a new All Brett All the Time channel?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X