X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

Melbourne Arab wrote:
    jason voorhees wrote:
    Greatest Aussie in American sports would have to go to Graeme Lloyd of the 1996 World Series Champion NY Yankees. He struggled through the season, got yelled at by George Steinbrenner, then came up huge against the O's and Braves.
    How does Andrew Bogut rate? He's from Melbourne so we hear a lot about him in the local press. Is his success exaggerated?
    Oh man. Next Melbourne Arab is going to be asking us if the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are real.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Indeed. Luc Longley was a significantly more impressive NBA player than Bogut has proven to be so far.

Andrew Gaze was also a brief shining comet on the college basketball scene at Seton Hall, as jv no doubt remembers with great clarity. He was an even bigger flop in the NBA than Bogut has been so far.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Melbourne Arab wrote:
        How does Andrew Bogut rate? He's from Melbourne so we hear a lot about him in the local press. Is his success exaggerated?
        Who?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Femme Folle wrote:
          Reed of the Valley People wrote:
          Oh. I haven't been paying attention to the Jets.
          Who has? The only reason to pay attention to them is to laugh at them.
          Oi!

We stuffed the Dolphins and that's all that matters. Mission accomplished, season over.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Incandenza wrote:
            Melbourne Arab wrote:
            jason voorhees wrote:
            Greatest Aussie in American sports would have to go to Graeme Lloyd of the 1996 World Series Champion NY Yankees. He struggled through the season, got yelled at by George Steinbrenner, then came up huge against the O's and Braves.
            Oh man. Next Melbourne Arab is going to be asking us if the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus are real.
            OK, I've learnt my lesson - don't believe what's in the papers.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

As UA said, that 1989 Seton Hall team was my favorite NCAA Finalist, in my favorite NCAA tournament, that contained my favorite-ever game (Georgetown 50:49 Princeton.)

Gaze was the "Hired Gun from Down Under" who ended up at a shithole college outside of Newark, NJ who'd hit every 3 he took.

I forgot, Lloyd was the winning pitcher for the epic 8-6 win for the Yanks in game 4 (in which they came back from being 0-6 down.) By rights, that must certainly make him the most successful Aussie of all-time.

He was actually one of my most favorite baseball players. He had a Gargamel/Ichabod Crane adams apple, these haunted hounddog eyes to go with his sunken chest and hunched-over shoulders, and looked as if he walked out of a Nick Cave song.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I won the office football pool this week!!!! $18. I was one of three people to go 17-7, and the tiebreaker was the total points in the Eagles Steelers. I guessed 30. I knew it would be a defensive battle. The actual total was 21. Everyone else guessed way higher.

Er, um, that's all. I just wanted to shout about it.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

It's just Al in the darkness now.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

from one of the comments on the Deadspin piece

"Last night, Al Davis watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's his dream. That's his nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."
                    That was the first thing that came into my head as well. The second thing was that Al will tell the media "you have the right to kill me, but not to judge me."

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Well, was there any other way for the Al Davis story to end other than with horsepill-sized doses of anarchy, paranoia, acrimony, dark mumblings in carpeted cublicles, and wholesale gnashing of teeth?

There's a huge part of me that hopes Kifflin is actually the 60s Al Davis, who like Mickey Rourke in Angel Heart ate the heart of a young USC O-Coordinator, and who will survive the season while killing his future self before owning the team.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Hmm, that's a lot to hope for. I mean, any one of those things - the heart eating, especially - seems plausible, but also surviving to kill his future self AND own the team...unlikely.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Here ya go, MA.

This is basically a word-for-word reproduction of what reed said about punters, only with Sav Rocca getting credit for helping the Eagles win against Pittsburgh.

"Rocca, the second-year punter and former Australian Rules Football star who clearly enjoyed his finest game in America yesterday against the Pittsburgh Steelers, might have been the biggest difference in the Eagles' 15-6 victory."

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Maybe the Aussies are back in vogue. Ben Graham has been re-hired by the NY Jets.

Life as an NFL punter doesn't seem to offer much job security.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

It's like a Hollywood film director. You can make bomb after bomb, can fail upward, and can make a living just by saying you're experienced.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Matt Bryant of Tampa Bay was perfect on all of his field goal attempts today, and nailed all of his extra point attempts. They're leading 30-21 with seconds to go over Green Bay.

He, and the entire team, just came back from Texas. Yesterday was his son's funeral. His 3-month-old son died of what may have been SIDS.

To be a kicker, and playing with that in the back of the mind, is just extraordinary.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Quick...the scores for Chargers-Raiders is 15-0 at the half and Redskins-Cowboys is 17-7. Who are the winning teams ?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I'm gonna say Chargers by 3 and Redskins by 1.

That's so sad about Matt Bryant's son.

edit: I typed Raiders by mistake.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

It's certainly horrible for that family. At least he has a whole team and city wishing his family the best, even if it won't take any of the pain away.

On a goofier kicking-related story, the Raiders attempted a 76-yard field goal attempt before the half. It landed at the SD 2, so it was 12-20 yards short.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

jason voorhees wrote:
                                        Quick...the scores for Chargers-Raiders is 15-0 at the half and Redskins-Cowboys is 17-7. Who are the winning teams ?
                                        I misread that - obviously I can't answer the question now.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Obviously you jinxed the Raiders. Now the Chargers really are up by 3. As are the Skins.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Hail to the Redskins ( as long as it's only twice a season)
                                            Hail Victory (as long as it's over the DallASS CowBOZOs)
                                            Braves on the Warpath (as long as the Warpath runs past the Grassy Knoll and right through that stupid-looking donut stadium)
                                            Fight for Old D.C. (and your crackhead ex-Mayor, sleazy whoremongering politicians, and ambulance-chasing owner.)

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Haha! McNabb sacked twice and we're still in the first quarter.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

However, he's playing in front of the hometown, and it's long been alleged that he'd like to play there one day.

14-14.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

For anyone still up overseas, NBC has a live stream of their Sunday Night game on www.nbcsports.com.

21-14 Da Bhurs @ Da Haf.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

This is a pretty good game to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X