Reality NFL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

It would be a shame, given that weaker teams from other divisions are going to get in, but Baltimore doesn't have much offense.

Neither does Pittsburgh, but they've managed to get it done somehow.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

They didn't have much offense when they won the Super Bowl, either. Flacco isn't getting as much attention as he should be, I think because the Baltimore defense gets most of the recognition, and because Matt Ryan is another rookie QB having a better season.

The Steelers-Ravens game yesterday was fantastic.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I don't have statistics handy, but I feel like that Steelers team could run the ball a bit more consistently than this one can.

But all the fans that want to bench Rothlisberger are idiots. That's a classic Pennsylvanian disease. Everywhere in the state, at all levels, the most popular player is the second string quarterback.

That seems to afflict a lot of fans everywhere, but it seems especially acute in Pennsylvania.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I am pretty certain that the Jints will fold next weekend after there great start. I blame Plaxico.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Baltimore has the 6th seed right now, so they're in control. That game in Dallas should be just as good as this one against Pitt.

Flacco is pretty incredible. I've been real impressed with him all year, and that Ravens team is damn good.

For such a good season, it's heading towards a pretty incredible finish:

Week 16
            Panthers @ Giants - winner gets homefield through the playoffs.

Steelers @ Titans - winner gets homefield through the playoffs.

Ravens @ Dallas - winner has to win to stay in playoff hunt

Chargers @ Bucs - winner has to win to stay in playoff hunt

Falcons @ Vikings - Falcons have to win to stay in playoff hunt, Vikes can win division

Iggles @ Skins - Iggles have to win to set up massive showdown against Cowbois.

Week 17
            Titans @ Colts - Colts probably have to win, playoff preview.

Giants @ Vikings - Playoff preview.

Dolphins @ Jets - Potential Division and Playoff game.

Dallass @ Iggles - Potential Wildcard Playoff game.

Denver @ Chargers - Potential Division and Playoff game, Ed Hoculi Revenge Game

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

This weekend is a real corker. Fantastic.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Ravens beat the Cowboys in the last ever game at Texass Stadium.

The Jets finish what they should've finished last week, and that's choking and blowing their season. With the Fins and Pats winning and Ravens winning, this is probably the end for this old man experiment. Holmgren beats Favre in their last-ever meeting.

Titans beat the Steelers in a really good game, and have homefield advantage for the AFC.

Eagles losing, and Jints-Panthers tonight.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

*HAPPY*

I can't wait to see the Mangenius-bashing headlines in the NY papers tomorrow.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Can't believe the Panthers blew that.

The main pundit over here called it spot-on, saying that he hates it when teams with a 1 TD lead late in the 4th and in their opponent's territory will so often just try three successive runs up the middle and then rely on their kicker to seal it for them, when that's by no means a certainty - specially in a stadium like Giants.

Guess what the Panthers did?!

Last SB I was rooting for the Giants, but not anymore!

I'll never hate them as much as I hate the Dolphins, though. Grrrrr!

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

It was especially dumb last night, and was clear from the evidence of the past few weeks. Long Distance field goals at Giants stadium are an insane idea - the wind in there is furious.

The Colts comeback in the 4th on the Thursday night game was outstanding.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Of the teams that are in it, my rooting preferences:

The top:
                        Carolina
                        Arizona

Teams I wouldn't mind see do well:
                        Pittsburgh
                        Atlanta

Meh:
                        Tennessee

Don't like 'em, but would root for them if against a time I really dislike:
                        NYG

No way in hell:
                        Indy

Should Baltimore make it, they'd be up there at the top. Same with San Diego. Minnesota would be in the second group. Denver and the Jets would be in the "Meh." Same with Miami. Dallas and New England would be alongside Indy.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Grim times in Motown

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Really good article, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

That was one of the better games I'll ever see in my life. Truly outstanding.

Especially with HBO airing "The Greatest Game Ever Played" this past week, and it being the 40th anniversary of the Colts winning on that final TD run in OT.

The thing was that the Panthers are/were a better team (with Plax...and Uminoryora...the Giants are much better, but that's not the case now.) It was the home field that won it, complete with the old-school December Estadio Gigantes weather and it's vortex of swirling wind leading to that final burst of air that carried that ball outside of the posts, along with the offensive line figuring out how to run it without Plax.

Two great teams, and I hope we have a rematch.

As they said after the game, however, if the Panthers lose in Nawlins next week, they may have the 5th seed and we'll get that rematch a little too soon.

Re: Detroit -
                              Yes, horrible times indeed. I remember walking through Pontiac to the Silverdome for the 94 World Cup, and seeing just about every other house a black family and white family - all sharing tools and living side by side. I can't help seeing this shit and thinking that some people must make sure that would never be replicated anywhere, ever again.

However, it's hard for me to ever truly believe that it's the end, especially with the Chevy Volt around the corner.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

So Drew Brees only finished 16 yards short of breaking Dan Marino's single-season passing yards record.

Just a thought: how much do you think we would have heard of this if it was Peyton Manning challenging the record? Drew Brees is one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and no one in the media seems to care at all.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Can't believe the Jets fired Mangini. I hope they shell out a ton of money to hire Pete Carroll back.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Could someone explain how the seeding system for the playoffs works? I had a look at the NFL site earlier on, which appeared to paint the following picture:

AFC

Indianapolis (12-4) v San Diego (8-8)
                                    Baltimore (11-5) v Miami (11-5)

then (Divisional games)

Tennessee (13-3) v Baltimore, Indianapolis or San Diego

Pittsburgh (12-4) v Miami, San Diego or Indianapolis

NFC

Atlanta (11-5) v Arizona (9-7)
                                    Philadelphia (9-6-1) v Minnesota (10-6)

then (Divisional games)

Carolina (12-4) v Arizona, Atlanta or Minnesota

NY Giants (12-4) v Arizona, Atlanta or Philadelphia

Why, no matter what happens between San Diego and Indianapolis, can Tennessee only get the Ravens, and Pittsburgh only the Dolphins, from the other playoff game - and a similar picture in the NFC with the other half of the draw?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I've probably got this wrong, but I believe that Tennessee, as the number 1 seed, gets the lowest remaining seed in its game - since the Dolphins are the number 3 seed, they cannot possibly be the lowest remaining seed, so cannot possibly play Tennessee. Similarly, Baltimore are the #6 seed, so can only be the lowest remaining seed if they win, so must play Tennessee.
                                      (Indianapolis are 12-4, by the way).

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Exactly. Here are the Wild Card rankings:

#5 Colts v. #4 Chargers
                                        #6 Ravens v. #3 Dolphins

#5 Falcons v. #4 Cardinals
                                        #6 Eagles v. #3 Vikings

Say the Ravens and the Colts both win--the Ravens would play the Titans because they have the lowest seed.

Once you get past the Wild Card weekend, then it's a traditional bracket (obviously), with the higher seeded team in the conference championship game having home field advantage.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Ah, so San Diego are 4th seeded because they won their division, even though their regular season record is lesser than both the wildcards (and similar in the NFC)?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I know everyone's been waiting for this, so here are my playoff rooting preferences:

The top:
                                            San Diego
                                            Baltimore
                                            Carolina
                                            Arizona

Teams I wouldn't mind see do well:
                                            Pittsburgh
                                            Minnesota
                                            Atlanta

Meh:
                                            Tennessee
                                            Miami (though I really like the wildcat offense)
                                            Philly (used to really like them, now I'm just tired of them. Plus, the Phillies used up all of my good will towards Philadelphia)

Don't like 'em, but would root for them if against a time I really dislike:
                                            NYG

No way in hell:
                                            Indy

So all in all, a really good playoffs. Hopefully Indy will be gone after this weekend, and I'd be happy with just about any team winning.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Not quite sure how the 8-8 Chargers are a higher seed than the 12-4 Colts. It's a tough game this, but hopefully the Colts run of form continues and upsets Inca and his clear Manning family hatred.(!)

Really annoyed I will be out of the Country for this, and most of the playoffs.

Miami should be acting as inspiration to Detroit, though I doubt it will work somehow.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                                Ah, so San Diego are 4th seeded because they won their division, even though their regular season record is lesser than both the wildcards (and similar in the NFC)?
                                                Yep. Both the West divisions were jokes this season. Things like this are a good argument against the divisional format.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

dglh wrote:
                                                  upsets Inca and his clear Manning family hatred.(!)
                                                  Which I proudly admit. I don't have anything against Peyton himself--it's the treatment he gets as the "nice" quarterback that gets all the publicity and endorsements, the blindingly white positive example held up as something everyone should aspire to. But fuck Eli and his "I don't want to play for the Chargers, help me daddy" move from the draft.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Thanks, Inca. I suppose (to be overly generous) it's just possible to have a really tough division (don't 6 of the 16 regular season games come against teams from your own division?) where all 4, decent, sides, could end up 3-3, whereas some other divisions have one side finishing 6-0 against really poor divisional rivals, so two teams with identical 6-4 regular season records against "the rest" would end up appearing to be 12-4, and 9-7, repsectively, in regular season, even though the team from the "tough" division could actually prove to be stronger? Is that how it's meant to even out once the playoffs begin?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X