Reality NFL 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality NFL 2008

I was at that Steelers-Chargers game, but didn't see the replay of Polumolu's amazing INT until afterward because, for some reason, they didn't have the replays working on the jumbotron early in the game and I was sitting at the far end of the field, so from where I sat it looked like he didn't catch it.

The confusion at the end was bizarre.

I don't think there was any illegal forward pass on that play. From what I could see, both of San Diego's attempted laterals were backwards. But either way the rule is that as long as the illegal pass doesn't hit the ground, the play keeps going. So it should have been a touchdown.

Anyway, after Polumolu scores, the clock reads zeros and both teams come onto the field to shake hands. Then after some confusion, they both clear the field because, according to the PA, NFL rules state the Steelers have to try and extrapoint even though no time is left and the outcome is certain. Even if the Chargers were to block and return it, that's only worth two points. They'd still lose 17-12. But rules are rules.

Then finally they get set to kick it. And the refs blow the whistle - by this time half the fans have left - and the refs discuss it and decide (quite wrongly) that the play should have been dead when there was a forward pass. Game over.

Everyone leaves, a bit confused, but happy that the Steelers won. It should have been 18-10, but 11-10 is just as much of a win.

Then, not 10 minutes after the game, we're in the car going back to my friend's house and the radio tells us that the refs have admitted that they screwed up and that the rule states that that last play should have gone forward and the touchdown counted because the supposed illegal forward pass didn't hit the ground and that the refs are sorry for blowing the interpretation of the rules but that they can't fix it now.

I don't know why they can't change it now. The made the dumb decision after time had expired. Time was just as expired then as it is right now. Many gamblers are upset.

The game was sloppy. The Steelers were clearly a bit better but were called for 115 yards of penalties. Many of those were legit, but several key calls, like the PI that set up the game's only touchdown, were very ticky-tack and the refs were clearly biased against the Steelers, I guess because they expect them to be dirty or something. The Chargers held Harrison all game and never got called.

But I had a great time. It snowed, like a proper NFL game in November. I could here John Facenda in my head describing the action. The Steelers fans are great. Heinz Field (62,000) is smaller than FedEx Field (80,000) (the only other place I've seen a NFL game) and a lot smaller than Beaver Stadium (110,000) but it's very manageable and we were on the far end from the open endzone so we could see the jumbotron and the river and the cliffs of Mount Washington (or Washington Heights, I forget what it's called). Very cool.

I was told there would be a lot of drunken brawls in the stands, but I didnt' see any trouble at all. There were a handful of Chargers fans around, but they didn't get any trouble.

And it was a breeze to get to the game. It's right by downtown and we had little trouble getting there or getting home and not much delay in and out of the parking lot (free parking pass, thanks to my friend's hook-up - his brother-in-law and sister-in-law work for the Steelers) was very close to the stadium. Much, much, much easier and more pleasant than going to FedEx Field.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

What was the betting line on the game?

Though they would never admit it, such considerations are never far from the NFL's mind at times like these.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
        The game was sloppy. The Steelers were clearly a bit better but were called for 115 yards of penalties. Many of those were legit, but several key calls, like the PI that set up the game's only touchdown, were very ticky-tack and the refs were clearly biased against the Steelers, I guess because they expect them to be dirty or something. The Chargers held Harrison all game and never got called.
        I only watched the last few minutes, but the two Steelers penalties at the end--on Ward and some O-lineman for holding (this one negating the Willie Parker TD) were undeniable.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

The line was Steelers -5, so that blown call did make the difference in how the game turned out for gambling purposes.

The NFL says it doesn't think about those things, of course.

I forgot to mention that not only did the refs let the last play run to conclusion, call a touchdown, then make a big effort to get everyone off the field so there could be a PAT, then discuss it some more and then call it, incorrectly, no TD. They reviewed the play on video. There was about 5 minutes in there when somebody, somewhere in the NFL universe could have contacted the officials on the radio to explain to them the rule.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Not-quite-reality, but... does anyone have this yet, and - if so - what is it like?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I only watched the last few minutes, but the two Steelers penalties at the end--on Ward and some O-lineman for holding (this one negating the Willie Parker TD) were undeniable.
              The one on Ward looked like it was definitely a hold but something that often get ignored. The last one, by H-back and former Penn State great Sean McHugh, was a textbook hold, and Parker might not have scored without it, so that was a good call.

The one big pass interference which gave the Chargers the ball on the 2, should have been called either incidental contact and/or uncatchable pass.

Other than that, all of the penalties I saw looked pretty legit, but the Steelers may have a legitimate greivance that stuff being called on them wasn't being called on the Steelers.

I think the fiasco at the end is probably coloring Steelers fans and media's opinion about the 13-1 penalty ratio during the game. Certainly, during the game, the fans around me were booing the Steelers, not the refs, for committing so many dumb penalties and many of them were spectacularly dumb, like WR Santonio Holmes committing a false start.

But now that the officiating crew showed themselves to be comically incompetant in that one instance, the rest of their work during the game comes into doubt in retrospect.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

This isn't a bad Monday Night game, actually.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

It's funny thinking that it would be great to have the NFC Rust Belt conference: Buffalo, Pitt, Cleveland, and I suppose Cinci. Buffalo should be switched with Baltimore, anyway.

But Lynch was awesome, as was Quinn. Quinn's certainly proving me wrong, and seems like a natural fit for those cold weather games.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

jason voorhees wrote:
                    But Lynch was awesome, as was Quinn.
                    Did anyone else initially ready that as 'Bet Lynch'?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

"Then after some confusion, they both clear the field because, according to the PA, NFL rules state the Steelers have to try and extrapoint even though no time is left and the outcome is certain. Even if the Chargers were to block and return it, that's only worth two points. They'd still lose 17-12. But rules are rules."

In NFL, the defensive team can't score any points on a blocked/returned extra point try.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Me thinks the Brett Favre thing is working out wonderfully for the Jets.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Nah, it's me and PBF being their lucky charms since we showed up for the slaughter of the Rams.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

If only your support had such a positive effect on teams you actually cared about.

I live in fear of the media lovefest if this continues.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

See that Harri ? You never know if you end up falling smack dab into a magical season.

I think about Steven King (yes, that Steven "Shining Carrie Christine Cujo" King) deciding to spend a season writing about the Boston Red Sux' 2004 season. He was rewarded with writing a book about their first World Series in 8 decades.

I'm intrigued by Favre in NY. Up until now, he was the symbol of Middle America; born in bumblefuck (Kiln, Mississippi,) and playing in bumblefuck (Green Bay, Wisconsin.) All of a sudden, he's stuck in the biggest city in the world, and I'm going to love to see if the media, money, winning, and big city restaurants and spas and penthouses will corrupt him.

It's like a hot country bumpkin wife leaving her pickup-driving husband of many years to get corrupted by a high-flying wheeling-dealing limo-driving city slicker. The corruption of the human soul is always a favorite storyline of mine.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I think the hard-drinking party-animal young Favre would have been a thing to behold in New York and would have rivalled Namath for his exploits. But now? I think he just has quiet nights in with his family and I think they even live in Jersey.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I didn't get a clear look at this, but in last night's Indy-San Diego game, when the Colts converted on 4th down with about 30 seconds left, I swear that a ref blocked Quinton Jammer's way as he was pursuing Marvin Harrison across the middle of the field. Harrison ran diagonally across the field, and one of the officials stands in the middle. The camera moved to follow Harrison when NBC showed a replay, and you see the two of them close together, and an official, then the camera lost them behind some other players, then all of a sudden it's Harrison on his own and Jammer about five yards behind him. The live camera was tight on Manning in the backfield, so I only saw it on that one replay.

Maybe I dreamed it all.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

I couldn't sleep on Saturday night so was doing some channel surfing in the early hours of the morning. Setanta Ireland switch to NASN on some nights and Oklahoma were playing Texas Tech. The stadium was full and appeared to have a terrific atmosphere so I got in to watching the game.

Now, I like NFL. I'm no expert, any idea of tactics I have has been picked up from Madden football on computer games and American Football movies. I would struggle to name more than 20 players altogether. I've always enjoyed watching NFL though but haave had misgivings, mostly due to TV coverage. Ball in touch, go to break. Timeout called, tell us about Powerade Home Depot Man of Quarter sponsored by Cellnet driving a SUV. The fact that the game is so dependent on plays that dull the creativity of the athletes playing. How did this become America's favourite game?

Watching the Oklahoma v. Texas Tech match helped to answer that. From watching I gathered that these two were amongst the best in the country. There were scores of coaches and headsets so it's obviously a near professional setup. It was all quick plays, the Oklahoma team didn't even huddle up. All the plays were obviously set up before by the coaches but there seemed to be a lot of improvisation. There were plenty of mistakes and penalties but ther was also genuine delight in celebrting and aggression after plays. I was mightily impressed.

So, OTF, who are the college team that can be endorsed whole-heartedly?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

UCLA.

Now, let me save people on here the trouble:

Cal
                                      Penn State
                                      Rutgers
                                      LSU

and never, NEVER, NEVER USC or Stanford.

Got it?

(and there is a college football thread also)

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Well, the commercials are part of the reason it's popular. You have time to get a beer one commerical break, take a piss the next, get a sandwich and a beer the next, and take a dump the next break. In fact, because the season's so short (once a week, once a weekend,) and because there's time to talk with friends or eat and drink during it, makes it a perfect fit for an American Sunday afternoon.

A perfect college ? Hmmmm, think of it like the entire F.A playing the F.A. Cup over the course of a season. One year, a team like Wycombe can take over the imagination of the country. The next, Man Utd, the next Portsmouth.

Politically, it's hard to argue against Cal or Rutgers. But whatever you do, don't cheer for the Okies. Sure, Norman, Oklahoma is passionate (and one of their fans ripped the scrotum of a Texas fan after they got in a fight at a bar,) but it's the bloodest red Republican state in the USA.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

jason voorhees wrote:
                                          Sure, Norman, Oklahoma is passionate (and one of their fans ripped the scrotum of a Texas fan after they got in a fight at a bar,)
                                          And, I read on Deadspin last week, he's not going to get any punishment for that.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Politically, it's hard to argue against Cal or Rutgers. But whatever you do, don't cheer for the Okies. Sure, Norman, Oklahoma is passionate (and one of their fans ripped the scrotum of a Texas fan after they got in a fight at a bar,) but it's the bloodest red Republican state in the USA.
                                            I'm not impressed by that kind of passion. Oklahoma go off my list. Unfortunately, I think college football won't be the easiest to follow from this side of the Atlantic.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Nil, go on YouTube and watch some highlights from the USC-Texas 2005 Rose Bowl/National Championship game, and the Oklahoma-Boise State 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Both are two of the best games I've ever seen, and in both cases the "right" team won.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Also Nil, that's the reason many people love college and don't give a shit about the pros. For years the NFL had no chance of having a team in the South, because of the loyalty and love of the college teams down there.

All you have to do is follow the top 25, watch a Thursday night game or Saturday afternoon game, and see who's winning as the season goes on, then watch the final.

However, if you can tell me what you like about America, what cities you like, what characteristics you like, maybe we can help out.

For instance, if you like a rebel streak, lawlessness, sex addiction, and partying, then Miami's your team. If you like a conservative culture that has a kind streak towards liberal Jews and rebel quarterbacks and drinking a lot and listening to Southern rock & roll, then Alabama's for you. If you like union coal miners, then West Virginia and Penn State are your teams. If you like cosmopolitan Hollywood and movie stars and Los Angeles condos on the Sunset Strip, go with USC.

As blood red as Oklahoma is, they are also quite anti-racist. They despise liberals, but they love blacks who share their values. They were one of the first mostly white district to vote for a black congressman, and have given the US most of black Republicans.

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

Thanks for those Inca. Entire season coming down to the last play. Is it usual that teams will go for a 2 pointer rather than OT in that situation? It seemed really ballsy to me.

JV, I've never been to America so most of my references are going to be TV, film or books. The Wire, Sopranos and Friday Night Lights (book rather than TV or movie) would be my favourite of those. Miami sounds perfect for a Corkonian so it's not for me. I like places that have seen better days - maybe Baltimore or Detroit? Any places there?

Comment

Reality NFL 2008

No significant football programs in either Baltimore or Detroit. If you never need to see them play, the Youngstown State Penguins could be for you.

A long time power in the NCAA equivalent of the "second division", and a proud representative of perhaps the quintessential Rust Belt city.

I presume that Notre Dame is out of the question except as an "ironic" tribute to Paddywackery.

The NCAA overtime rule gives both teams a shot at scoring, rather than being "sudden death". As a result, underdogs will often go for the two points, thinking that they are less likely to prevail over a bigger and deeper team in OT.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X