Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The London 2012 Thread

(first!)

I reckon Beijing have done London a massive favour, seeing as there is absolutely no way that any other country apart from Russia (or maybe India) will be able to spunk so much cash in the near future.

Hopefully the tickets will be cheap as shit. I've got next to no chance and little inclination of seeing an Olympics anywhere else in my lifetime, so I'm going to do my best to ignore even more Londoncentric bullshit rammed down our throats for the next 4 years, and look forward to it.

The London 2012 Thread

Oh God. Scouting For Girls are doing London Calling outside Buckingham Palace.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

It's going to be shit, isn't it?

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

I hope they get it right and deliver what the rest of the world expects from a London Olympics, that being breaks at 4 o'clock for tea, beefeaters, military marching bands, red arrow fly pasts, speeches from the queen, fine lawns, red buses, mock-Tudor stadiums, chimney-sweeps, King Arthur and shit like that. Nobody outside the UK wants spectacular, they just want everything that is quaintly stereotypical about the British.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

It's going to be fucking great for watching sport and getting pissed at street parties and in public spaces with tons of people from all over the place.

The opening and closing ceremonies are going to be horribly embarassing, patronising shit.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

The opening and closing ceremonies are going to be horribly embarassing, patronising shit.
            Don't be ridiculous, Boris Johnson and David Cameron will be giving the keynote speeches.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

It can't be any worse than some leftover opening credits from I Love 1995, an X Factor winner, an elderly Satanist, an injured MLS player, and a recreation of that bus on 7/7.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

Boris Johnson won't be Mayor of London in August 2012.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

The London Olympics is going to be a complete shambles. Have they even started building anything yet?

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

I have just seen boris announce in beijing that 'ping pong is coming home in four years'

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

I understand that the slogan is going to be "London 2012 - Better than Angola 2010"

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

Don't worry about doing an impressive ceremony. It's not worth it.

Slate did a twitter-blog from last night's ceremony. They described Boris Johnson as "Billy Zabka gone to seed."

If you don't know what that means, I suggest you look it up.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

here is boris' speech

I think the first comment posted is pretty spot on

this posh wanker bastard fuckhead fat cat tory tosser is actually funny!!

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

The minister for being to impossible to take seriously, Tessa Jowell, has just been on telly insisting, much to the apparent apoplexy of the teachers bombarding the BBC with texts this morning, that the government is making funding available for "local facilities ... for children who want to participate in sports like gymnastics".

What, like, er, the school gyms, vaulting horses and floor mats that were sold off while she was a Minister of State for Education?

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

Descendant of George II, doncherknow.

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

David Cameron is a direct descendant of William IV, as well.

It's a right royal meritocracy, modern Britain ...

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

So, is Tory Tossing going to be a demonstration sport?

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

Only if David Mellor is allowed to play in a Chelsea shirt

Comment

The London 2012 Thread

rick derris wrote:

Comment

Working...
                                      X