College Football 2008-09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Football 2008-09

Given that we've now had Jim Tressel show up on the Biden thread and Inca manifesting the one exception to his hatred of all things Trojan on Music, it's clearly time for a thread.

As always, I only have two words to say on the subject.

Go Bears.

College Football 2008-09

I'm in the precarious position of having to care for the SEC, and worse yet, LSU.

However, LSU's education department started a PBS(Positive-Behavior-Support,not Public Broadcasting)model that they share with every school in the state. They are also leading the way on wetlands restoration.

Then seeing how gridiron sprouts up like weeds through the multitude of cracks, dents, and gaps in streets and pavements throughout the city - then seeing kids wearing uniforms so old and worn that they may have been used in the climactic scene of The Wanderers, and you can see how it's more than a sport.

So Geaux Tigers.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Fear the turtle, people. Fear the turtle.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

ursus arctos wrote:
        Given that we've now had Jim Tressel show up on the Biden thread and Inca manifesting the one exception to his hatred of all things Trojan on Music, it's clearly time for a thread.

As always, I only have two words to say on the subject.

Go Bears.
        AMEN BROTHER.

Jefe, are you going to attend the Cal game at Bird stadium? I'm booking my hotel room right now...

Comment

College Football 2008-09

No. I work most Saturdays, and I've never been to a Maryland game anyway. The only football games I've ever been to are CFL games.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Geaux Tigers!

Comment

College Football 2008-09

This is a "rebuilding" season for UCLA. Our O-line is decimated through injuries and bad recruiting (Karl Dorrell, fucking us even after he's been fired), so the O-line is comprised of converted D-line players and even some tight ends. Things certainly don't start out easy, with Tennessee and BYU.

Ignore the crap in the press about UCLA's fans being unrealistic--we know it's going to be hard this year. I'd be happy with 5 wins.

Oh, and I was going to send this to Ursus in a PM, but I know Reed talked a bit about rowing in the Olympics thread, and I'd thought I'd share with all of you how horrible USC is. Yes, the source is biased, but the gist of the story comes through:

Most people don't know, but a lot of the college rowers actually have never rowed before. There are few high schools with rowing programs, so they usually start out with no experience. Now, the collegiate rowing landscape is changing. The major rowing powers, like Cal, Washington and the Ivy Leagues, are finding it increasingly difficult to stay competitive by using only on-campus recruiting to field their teams. These schools now place a big emphasis on recruiting high school oarsmen, with particular emphasis on foreigh rowers, many of whom as incoming freshmen have already competed at the highest level of international competition. Because there is such high demand for high school oarsmen of this caliber, these schools make liberal use of scholarships to attract proven rowers. For example, the winners of the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA - rowing is not governed by the NCAA) in 2001, 2002, 2006 and 2007 did it with 7, 7, 5 and 4 "pro" rower imports.

This year our cross-town rivals, the University of Soul Corrupters, pulled off a feat that went beyond the absurdity of this practice.

Estonia won the Under-23 World Rowing Championship in 2007. In January of 2008, the U$C men's rowing alumni donated over $100,000 to bring to U$C six members of that world championship boat, together with two spares and their Estonian National Team Coach. These oarsmen were then enrolled in the English Language Program at U$C's Rossier School of Education). Through the grapevine (three middle-class and irrelevant alumni) one of their motives was to field a crew that could beat UCLA.

Their first race in 2008 was the San Diego Crew Classic, a major event with basically a Varsity division and a Club division (in which UCLA rows). U$C tried to enter their crew in the Varsity division, but the stewards of the Classic would not allow them, so they had to compete in the Open division which they won by over 4 boat lengths!

Furthermore, the U$C crew (whom I will now refer to as the Estrojans) was not allowed to race UCLA in a dual meet because they never received their eligibility from the Pac-10! So, at the end of May, the Estrojans went home...without having race in a single collegiate event!

Now, imagine being a senior at U$C, coming into your final season, thinking you can finally make the varsity boat, only to have the Estrojans take your place. Sure, other schools are doing it...but those rowers are enrolled as full-time students! My crew was beaten in 1994 by a Washington crew in which the rowers all pretty much sounded like Aahnold. No problem for me, as long as they're students. I mean, our own UCLA tennis team does this liberally. But, bright as they are, U$C didn't even bother making them eligible, or enroll them as full-time students! Brilliant! Their alumni raised about $500,000 for crew last year...and this is the scam they came up with!

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Hope you're deep at QB, Inca, with this kind of OL. At least Skippy's got an excuise this season.

Funny about USC's attempt at buying a rowing program. The right way would have been to just pay top $ for a top coach, but that's perhaps too subtle an approach for their AD. Stanford's Amerikhian would have been a good fit for them.

On the subject of this sport, Cal's dominance of collegiate crew is going to be less certain with the retirement of legendary coach Steve Gladstone.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

That's a great story, though what USC had done is simply to take to its illogical conclusion something that Oxford and Cambridge have been doing for about 20 years, namely recruiting North American and Antipodean graduate students with Olympic or World Championship credentials in order to win "The Boat Race".

For a long time, college rowing in the US has suffered from the absence of a single, fully-recognized national championship. Not all of the Eastern teams go to the IRAs (notwithstanding the fact that they are held in New Jersey), and some of those that do have traditionally considered them secondary to certain Eastern races (like the Eastern Sprints or the Harvard/Yale 4 mile race on the Connecticut) or international competitions like Henley. That explains why teams such as Cal, Washington and Wisconsin tend to do very well at the IRAs and yet do not dominate the national teams. Harvard and Yale only started participating in the IRAs a couple of years ago, and prior to that the San Diego Crew Classic was usually the only race of the season at which both sets of crews would meet.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

linus wrote:
                    Hope you're deep at QB, Inca, with this kind of OL. At least Skippy's got an excuise this season.
                    Heh, do you not know about the QB situation? Patrick Cowan was named the starter, then got injured and will be out for the year. Then Ben Olson was named starter. Guess what happened? Got injured, and will be out for at least two months (that guy is made of glass, I swear).

Our starter is now Kevin Craft, a JUCO transfer, who started out at SDSU, where he got some playing time. After that it's a bunch of true and redshirt freshman.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

No. 7 L.S.U. 41, Appalachian State 13

Comment

College Football 2008-09

LSU is hot, hot, hot.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

not looking good for Tennessee, Inca. GL.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Yep, just hoping that we don't get blown out.

Nice win for Cal.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Yikes, whatta horrible, annoying game for Rutgers. They had the ball inside the 20 on 5 or 6 occasions in the 1st half.

Points from those possessions ? Zero. Point. Zero.

Damn that was so annoying. Fresno State wins 24-7, after it was 0-0 at the half.

UCLA-Tennessee is real good so far. Good luck, Incster.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Take that, Peyton.

Kevin Craft personified "Gutty little Bruin," as much as that phrase can annoy me sometimes. What a win for him. What a win for Neu. What a win for the program.

We're back, baby.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

I doubt any other quarterback this year will throw four interceptions in the first half and still win.

I would knock on wood before assuming you're back. I know from experience.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Oh, don't get me wrong--I still don't have much hope for this season. Our next game is at BYU, holders of the longest winning streak in the country. Then another out-of-conference game two games later against Fresno State. If we went 6-5 I'd be really happy.

But UCLA hasn't had a win like that in years. Even after the 13-9 win over USC two seasons ago, I think we all knew that was an anomaly, something you can pull off against your biggest rival. We haven't had a notable win over a big non-conference team in years--the last I can think of were in 2001 over Michigan and Alabama.

But the game last night was sort of a statement of things we can hope for in the future. I can't wait until this coaching staff has a few years of recruiting to see the kind of teams we can put out on the field. I'm hoping for consistent top-25 finishes, maybe even pushes for BCS games. Anything from this season would just be gravy.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

The game definitely suggests Neuheisel and Chow have the team believing, and that's a big help. It's especialy encouraging to see UCLA - or any Pac10 team beyond USC - play some great defense.

It may or may not have actually been an upset. Every year there are early games like this which defy the predictions of the "experts" but then after the season seem completely logical. It's possible that Tennessee just isn't all that good.

I've seen this with Penn State. In 2003 (I think), the "Larry Johnson Year," we blew out Nebraska early on after two losing seasons. It seemed like a big deal, but it wasn't really. We went 8-3, and had another losing season the following year. It turned out that Nebraska was at the cusp of an unprecidented decline.

In 1999, we played Arizona in the first game of the year. It was the ESPN GameDay game. The polls had Arizona 2 and PSU 3, or the other way around. We blew them out by five or six touchdowns. Our offense looked unstoppable. But we finished 9-3 entirely because of the defense (Arrington, Brown, Morrison, Scioli, Macklin). Our offense was abysmal. It's just that Arizona's defense was even more pathetic and they ended up going 6-5 or something. But the experts thought they'd be good just because they had Dennis Northcutt or somesuch. The "experts" are idiots.

I think this year's game like that will be Alabama-Clemson. I can't believe Alabama is really that good. I just think Clemson was ridiculously overrated coming into this season.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Since there are three of us, is that enough of a quorum for discussion of the Ancient Eight?

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Given that I couldn't be arsed to care when I was there . . .

I'm always a bit troubled when Harvard football is doing (relatively) well. It makes me wonder what the admissions people are doing.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

It comes and goes. The only one of those schools that seems to consistently give a shit about football is Penn.

Still, as I-AA (I refuse to call it the FCS) conferences go, the CAA is where it's at!

Comment

College Football 2008-09

What a horrible way to lose for Washington and QB Jake Locker. He leads his team on a 80-yard TD drive with less than 2 minutes to go to make it 27-28 with the extra point to tie it against BYU. Then the cuntrag ref calls "excessive celebration" because he flipped it in the air, and you have to hand it to a ref or leave it on the ground. They make it a 35-yard PAT, which they miss. Lame-ass motherfuckers. Fuck the NCAA.

Great game with Wake Forest and Ole Miss. 6 lead changes, great TD to take the lead from Ole Miss, and great drive to get the winning field goal from Wake.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Hmmmm.
                                                Cal 66 Washington State 3.
                                                Goin' to be a long season in Pullman, methinks.

Less than impressive results for Ohio State and Michigan, too.

Comment

College Football 2008-09

Enjoy next week, ursus. We just managed to lose by 10 to Middle Tennessee State.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X