Play the ball again Sam - Rugby League 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And here we go again. To kick things off, a state of the (Northern) union review.

Domestic

It’s the second season of the ‘new era’ and we got through the first year without anyone’s head exploding at the various permutations of the divisional system, but we also got through it without any the championship teams making much of a dent in the Super League dominance of the qualifying eights. Bradford went close against Wakefield in the ‘million pound match’ and maybe that’s as much as the championship teams can hope for, to get lucky in the sudden death play off though with a raise in the cap Leigh are hopeful of going further.

Things were tighter at the top of Super League though, with the top four closely matched right to the end of the Super 8’s. It would be nice this season to have a couple more clubs staying closer to the top four right to the end. Leeds will be missing their departed stars, Saints won’t get to Easter without half the squad getting injured (my one wish for the year is for Lomax to get through it unscathed and realise his potential), Wigan have got Sam Tomkins back and look the best bet for the title.

Whoever makes the Grand Final, we'll be there - poignantly it's the last Grand Final before Thing One goes off to university, something which dawned on us on the way to the last one. I'd be disappointed if it turns out to be the last one we ever go to together, but it will still be the end of an era. We've come a long way together since we cheered Sean Long's late drop goal for Saints as it sailed over our heads behind the goal, and a terrified (then four year old) Thing One leapt into my arms when the first firework went off at the trophy lift, and proceeded to run in mid-air, like Scooby Doo.

Further down we have a new outpost of the empire with Toulouse re-joining the English system at Championship 1 level. They aren’t doing it to play Oxford and Bramley indefinitely and it will be interesting to see how quickly they progress.

Further down the ranks and closer to home, Kells have joined Wath Brow and Egremont in the top tier of the amateur game. This means that a quarter of the clubs in the National Conference League come from a small triangle of West Cumbria, and it also means six local derbies, so that I’ve got a much better chance of making it to at least one. Said derbies pull bigger crowds than many Whitehaven and Workington home games.

NRL

South Sydney have signed a new forward, he’s worth keeping an eye on. Might even make the England squad if he puts the work in. They’ll be in there at the end with the other usual suspects, Easts, Brisbane and North Queensland.

Off the field the NRL has got its biggest ever TV deal, but is no further forward in securing further expansion. The current view is that there'll be no expansion until the existing sixteen are all financially stable - meaning indefinitely given the complex and varied backgrounds of each of the existing clubs. It’s hard to keep track but I think two clubs are fully owned by the NRL itself (Newcastle and Gold Coast), there are long running financial issues at Wests Tigers which may eventually result in a de-merger, and others (like Cronulla) are hanging on. ‘Expansion’ therefore may take the form of one of the basket cases being moved out to Perth, Central Coast or Brisbane, rather than a wholly new club.

International

We get to host the Four Nations in the autumn, with Scotland making their debut in the tournament. Nice for them and a good warm up for the 2017 World Cup for them but they’ll struggle to keep things respectable.

At the time of writing an ‘all roads lead to’ title for the thread wasn’t feasible due to the fact that we still don’t know the venues of any of the games. London will get one after the success of the second test v New Zealand (presumably the Olympic Stadium again, but not sure how that fits in with any work going on there); Anfield has been mentioned for some reason. Scotland are likely to get a home game, with Scotstoun in Glasgow most likely, but Aberdeen has potential.

As documented in last year’s thread, the end of the season will also see the final round of European qualifiers for the 2017 World Cup, including a sudden death play off at Leigh. Serbia, one of the six teams in for the three places, have brought in Brian Smith to help with their preparations which begin with a tour of Australia starting later this month including an international against the Philippines which I think is the first proper international of the year, though Leeds are playing the US national team this month in Florida.

Much to look forward to, stay tuned.

Bramley!

I know championship 1 is the least interesting league in the world, but at least don't inflict us with clubs that went bust last century.

Otherwise, excellent work.

Comment

Oops, and I can't even claim the traditional mix-up with Batley, cos they're in the Championship...!

Comment

An exciting close season for a South Wales Scorpions.

We have been sold by the WRFL to the chairman of Siddal, who finished runners up in ARLA. His intentions are yet to be fully understood, but he has replaced the coach, moved us to the much more promising Caerphilly, and appointed a full time coach. He is obviously paying a bit in wages as a number of the South Wales players who were lured by Lionel Hutz money at the All Golds, have now returned.

No news from Bristol Sonics or Swindon St George.

My first game will be the challenge cup first round at the end of the month.

Also have a 10 day trip in October with mad Dai to go and see Serbia and then the Italy v Wales games in the World Cup qualifiers.

Comment

Marvellous - can't match that but may manage Wales v Serbia if it's held somewhere interesting (mainly, not Wrexham - no disrespect to Wrexham but it's too familiar from football). Ireland v Russia looks tempting too.

Comment

Ah, the new thread's up - fantastic. Great intro and summary WFD, and agree Wigan adding Tomkins to a settled side could see them do it.

Having said that, signings like this suggest Leeds are not going to give up their titles without a fight.

Comment

Commenting on the signing Leeds Rhinos Chief Executive Gary Hetherington said, "We are delighted to have secured a player of the quality of Brett Ferres to compliment our squad for next season
              [pedant]
              I can't believe they would sign an England international just for him to stand on the touchline and say nice things about Leeds.
              [/pedant]

Comment

I've sung the praises of Latin Heat before but thought I'd mention that they have a big game coming up on the 16th against Thailand. It's going to be streamed live, though, since it's in Canberra, that means a 0700 UK start I think:

http://latinheatrl.com/2016/01/07/deal-struck-to-televise/

Comment

Oldham will be playing at Stalybridge, which will tempt me along as it's a lot easier than my usual trips to the Wire.

Comment

I thought that the London Broncos had moved in with Hanwell Town, but it seems that they're somewhere else.

Comment

They're at Ealing (Trailfinders, bleeeaarrggghh) RFC's ground, no?

Comment

Ah, I was wondering whose ground it is.

Comment

Challenge Cup first round draw:

London Chargers v Shaw Cross Sharks
                          Thatto Heath v Hunslet Parkside
                          Aberdeen Warriors v Northumbria University
                          Stanningley v Pilkington Recs
                          Normanton v Distington
                          Army v Siddal
                          West Bowling v Lock Lane
                          Leigh Miners Rangers v Underbank Rangers
                          East Leeds v Oulton Rangers
                          Millom v University of Hull
                          Royal Navy v Featherstone Lions
                          Widnes West Bank v Rochdale Mayfield
                          Wath Brow Hornets v RAF
                          Hull Dockers v Thornhill Trojans
                          Egremont Rangers v Bridgend Blue Bulls
                          West Hull v GB Police
                          Kells v Nottingham Outlaws
                          York Acorn v Sharlston.

To be played last weekend in January, which probably rules out my attendance at any of them, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, it is confirmed that one of England's games in the Four Nations will be played in London.

Comment

There are a lot of pretty grim rumours going around about Ferres and the reasons why Huddersfield threw him out. Either Leeds see themselves above that kind of thing or have willfully signed a player with a toxic reputation because he is available and relatively cheap. However, if any club don't need to be doing things on the cheap it's Leeds.

Comment

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: Further down the ranks and closer to home, Kells have joined Wath Brow and Egremont in the top tier of the amateur game. This means that a quarter of the clubs in the National Conference League come from a small triangle of West Cumbria, and it also means six local derbies, so that I’ve got a much better chance of making it to at least one. Said derbies pull bigger crowds than many Whitehaven and Workington home games.
                              Speaking of West Cumbrian amateur success my club Millom had their best season in decades (which isn't saying much) and won promotion to the 1st division. It'd be nice if they could challenge for another promotion and become the 4th Cumbrian team in the Premier Division but that's probably abit of a long shot.

Comment

Kevchenko wrote: I've sung the praises of Latin Heat before but thought I'd mention that they have a big game coming up on the 16th against Thailand. It's going to be streamed live, though, since it's in Canberra, that means a 0700 UK start I think:

http://latinheatrl.com/2016/01/07/deal-struck-to-televise/
                                Latin Heat v Thailand Stars full game, in case you can't wait until the new season.

If you just want to know the result and possible implications for RL in Latin America, click on this one instead.

Comment

Not long to go now.

It was the Hull preseason derby today. FC were rather fired up for it:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1010321289022189&id=100573659 996961

Comment

With one week to go, Super League have released their launch video - "This is our time". Not a lot happens.

Leeds defeated Bradford in a friendly, with this move finished off by Ryan Hall well worth the time to watch it.

Comment

Two Challenge Cup first round and two football games this weekend, in the presence of mad Dai.

Comment

Nicely worked BB&F!. Have a great time.

Wonderful fun on the Super League Facebook page as they have announced a sponsorship deal with a brand of mushy peas. Really.

Comment

There used to be an official pie partner after all - not sure if they still have the tie in but it would go well with this one (though would need to be marrowfat rather than mushy, natch).

They did manage a less stereotypical sponsorship deal earlier this week with Dacia getting on as car partner for Super League, and sponsor of the World Club Series.

No Challenge Cup action for me this weekend, too much else on, but got a couple of games in February.

Comment

A link here to a St Helens website where Stephen Orford has produced a really comprehensive guide to the SL teams for this season (so that we don't have to).

http://www.redvee.net/news.php

Comment

Steve McNamara steps down as England coach, with Australian coaching legend Wayne Bennett expected to replace him. If it comes off (it's still to be confirmed officially) that's a great move for England and for international RL, he'll get the best out of this group, even if the best still proves not enough for a major tournament win.

Big statement of intent by the RFL regarding taking the international game seriously over the next couple of years. Now can we please have some fixtures announced so I can get on with planning my autumn, thanks.

Comment

^ now confirmed, two year deal therefore taking in the Four Nations and next World Cup. Good stuff.

Comment

Terrific news. McNamara has done well for the team overall but Bennett has a phenomenal track record so you have to take the opportunity to bring him in.

Yorkshire Post has ranked the 12 Super League teams, predicting a weaker season for Huddersfield and better ones for Cas and HFC.
                                                  http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/super-league-power-rankings-leeds-rhinos-remain-team-to-beat-wakefield-to-rise-but-hull-kr-to-fall-1-7708971

Comment

Working...
                                                  X