Noob Question About Chess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my understanding, once you touch a piece in "real" chess, you have to move it.

If that is the case, and you don't see a Bishop on the other side of the board, thus blundering into a checkmate, how is that not allowed?

Or, can you in fact blunder into a checkmate? The FIDE rulebook seemingly says you can't.

1.2 The objective of each player is to place the opponent’s king ‘under attack’ in such a
    way that the opponent has no legal move. The player who achieves this goal is said
    to have ‘checkmated’ the opponent’s king and to have won the game. Leaving
    one’s own king under attack, exposing one’s own king to attack and also ’capturing’
    the opponent’s king are not allowed. The opponent whose king has been
    checkmated has lost the game.

That makes very little sense to me. Please explain in a very slow, rational, delicate manner for a Chess Noob.

If I understand what you are asking...

You can't move so that your own king becomes under attack. Many times people will refer to some of the pieces on the board as being 'pinned', unable to move, because to do so would reveal a check on their king.

If you've blundered into this situation "moved into check", you can move your piece back.

If on the other hand, if you simply blundered a legitimate though poorly-thought-out move, and your opponent takes advantage with a move that puts you into checkmate (or leads to checkmate). Sorry, you lost.

Edit: more explanation of pinning. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_%28chess%29

Edit: FAQ too, http://www.chessvariants.org/d.chess/faq.html

Edit: There are variations of chess (some forms of blitz), that allow your king to be captured. So a move into check might be considered an immediate loss. Don't play this way as a noob.

Comment

matt j wrote: If you've blundered into this situation "moved into check", you can move your piece back.
      Not just can. Must. That piece is barred from moving, as it is preventing the check.

A famous incident along somewhat similar lines to having to move a piece once you've touched it occurred in an infamous game between Garry Kasparov and Judit Polgar. Kasparov moved his knight, appeared to release it and then picked it up again and moved it to a different space. According to chess rules once you have released your grip on the piece, your move is made and you can't take it back.

Comment

You can't move the piece that's saving your king, no. Not least because a) while it would, in the run of things, create a very sudden and merciful end to by what this stage sounds like it's an inevitable win anyway, but b) it removes the satisfaction your opponent has for the next two or three moves he or she has got planned that EVEN MORE GLEEFULLY surround and finally kill your king.

Comment

So what is the quickest possible checkmate? Because that 3 move one wouldn't seem to be legal (when you pop the bishop out from f1)

I'm confused as to what an actual checkmate is then. What is the difference between an absolute pin and a checkmate?

I also read that 3 illegal moves constitutes a win for the opposing player, or the opposing player can "claim" victory. So what's the difference?

Comment

Fool's mate is the quickest possible.

A pin is where a piece is held to prevent a check. The king is not necessarily in check. For a checkmate, a player's king must actually be in check and them be without a legal move that can get him out of it.

N.B. if a player's king is not in check, but he has no legal move that wouldn't expose the king to being in check (i.e. if ALL his pieces were pinned), that is a stalemate. Which is a draw.

Comment

To try and give an example.

Situation one. A black pawn is on a direct diagonal line between white's queen and black's king. That pawn is pinned, as moving it would expose the black king to being taken by the white queen. So it can't move. However, the black king is not in check by the white queen, as whilst the pawn is where it is the queen can't make one move to take the king. It would have to take the pawn first.

Situation two. White's queen is not yet on the diagonal to black's king. Black, thinking he is safe, moves his pawn forwards. White then moves his queen to be on the diagonal, which is now an exposed line to black's king. Black is in 'check'. If he can't make a move that prevents the check, it is checkmate.

Comment

Getting there.

Thanks, all.

Comment

I've never, ever, understood the "passed pawn" thing. I don't think my Grandad (who taught me the game) even played that rule.

Comment

If you take the option to move forward two with your pawn on its first move, an opposing pawn can move diagonally into the space you passed over and take yours, but ONLY on the very next move, I.e. they have to be already in position to do it when you move forward two.

Comment

That's en passant. A passed pawn is a pawn with no opposing pawns in front of it on its own file or adjacent files.

Comment

That's the one I meant (en passant), thanks.

And I still need it explained to me when you're allowed to castle or not.

Comment

You can't castle if your king or the rook involved has already moved, you can't castle to escape check, you can't castle if it would mean your king moving through or into check.

Comment

Is there also something about you can't castle if you've already been IN check (in the game, maybe not at that moment)?

Comment

Not specifically; if you escaped that check by blocking with a pawn or horsey, say, and didn't move the king or the rook, then you can still castle later on (assuming you don't castle out of, into or 'through' check, as mentioned above).

Comment

And you castle by moving the King first, two squares towards the Rook, and then place the Rook on the other side of the King.

This means castling King's side and Queen's side will look different on completion.

Comment

I see en passant as a reward for developing a pawn who gets far enough up the board.

I thought you couldn't castle if you were in check at any point. In other words, once checked, your castling privileges have been revoked.

Comment

from the faq:

Can a player castle if his king was checked earlier in the game? (when the player was checked, he responded by placing another piece between his king and the opponents attacking piece; he did not move the king.) Put another way, does being checked automatically disqualify a player from castling later in the game? (Remember, the king has not moved,the opposing piece was simply blocked by another piece.)

The player can still castle in this situation. The rules of chess state that castling is illegal, when the king or rook has moved earlier, and when in or through check. Having been in check which was removed by interposing another piece, or by taking (not with king or rook that is involved in the castling, of course) the checking piece does not prevent the player from castling later.

Comment

Long time OTFers will recall that the very first Thread Vietnam came about through chess. This one is a tad tame, to be fair.

Comment

This may be a terrible idea but is anyone aware of an online site that would allow fellow otfers to play chess against each other?

I like the idea of playing chess but am terrible at it.

Comment

That's not a terrible idea. I'd be up for that too. But don't know what a good site for that would be.

Comment

gameknot is the "go to" online chess site.

Comment

I am obviously 14-15 years behind TQM.

I teach students with oppositional defiance disorder, intermittent explosive disorder, high-functioning autism, conduct disorder, dyslexia, impulsive control disorder, Aspbergers syndrome, etc.

The chess has helped them all. It's just that when there's a player who's up there, I lose to this defense:

It's just that I can't see the game past 3 moves. Or know the rules other than the basics.

Comment

ad hoc wrote: That's not a terrible idea. I'd be up for that too. But don't know what a good site for that would be.
                                                It is a pretty good idea, and I'd be up for that too.

Comment

Working...
                                                X