You Could Fit the Whole Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ursus arctos wrote: It's Reed's hometown.

I imagine that fussbudget will be more concerned about the numerous US towns named "Normal", as they once housed teachers' colleges that were so named to distinguish them from the agricultural and mechanical colleges.
    What is it with teachers' universities being called Normal? They still are in China.

Comment

Blame the French.

It's "normal" as in "setting norms", or standardising. Before the Revolution, it seemed that any old Mademoiselle de Whatnot could set herself up as a prof, and if she thought learning Frisian was an essential part of a child's education, so it was. The Convention Nationale had no time for dilettants. It created a school where teachers would be formed to a precise geometric standard ("l'équerre et le niveau"). The new teachers of the Republic were, of course, all male, as women do not respond to rational instruction.

Comment

Big Boobs and FIRE! wrote: Southern league Bashley has a population of 348 yet it's ground has a safety licence for 4250 spectators.
        I wonder how they manage a safety licence for anything near that. On my one visit, I got my foot stuck in a hole in the stand floor!

Comment

Working...
        X