Rousey Routed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rousey Routed

Not a UFC/MMA fan at all, but cool to see our local ABQ fighter Holly Holm kick the crap out of Ronda Rousey. Holm has never been a brawler and the conventional wisdom was that she did not have a prayer of winning. Most hoped she could at least go a couple of rounds before succumbing to the strength of the champ. Seems that Holm was very well prepared and Rousey was in trouble the entire one and a half rounds. PPV was $59.99 and many Burqueños will consider it money well spent.

I always liked that Holm never played macho bullshit act either as a boxer or UFC fighter. Rousey acted the fool yesterday during the weigh-in and appropriately got her ass kicked.

Rousey Routed

It's a gruesome sport, more so for the women. There are about a handful of women who might make a good living for a few years in exchange for brain damage, and hundreds if not thousands of aspiring amateurs who are going to get no financial rewards for trying to emulate Rousey and climb up the pyramid.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Chanced upon this on Twitter earlier, couldn't watch more than three or four seconds of it.

UFC is an horrific pile of shit in general.

Comment

Rousey Routed

It seems Holm is a boxing champion turned UFC competitor. Given certain tropes UFC fans and the organisation have rolled out, they can't be at all happy with this outcome.

Comment

Rousey Routed

The organisation will be delighted. Rematch at UFC 200. MASSIVE buy rate.

Comment

Rousey Routed

It had a bit of a Mike Tyson-Buster Douglas air about it. After Rousey travelled to Brasil and won there a few months ago she ended up with subsequent months worth of Twitter headlines (taking on Floyd Mayweather,) magazine covers, tv shows, etc.

That can't have been good for the training. Especially if you're fighting on the other side of the world.

And there was the Madden Curse.

Comment

Rousey Routed

She has a movie career and there is a huge offer waiting for her to join WWE when she stops fighting. It must be distracting but this is also a woman who's never really gone more than a minute with anyone, and so can be forgiven for letting her guard down a little.

Incidentally, I find MMA awful but I like the Rousey story.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Jakked Cousteau wrote: She has a movie career and there is a huge offer waiting for her to join WWE when she stops fighting. It must be distracting but this is also a woman who's never really gone more than a minute with anyone, and so can be forgiven for letting her guard down a little.
                That's one of the things boxers have over fighters with no boxing background. Boxers are used to train for fights that can go on forever.

Comment

Rousey Routed

There's an irish UFC fighter from donegal called joseph, who is one of the few people to beat Conor McGregor. He's the polar opposite of mcGregor, he's one of these quietly spoken, self effacing aggressively modest people that you get from parts of Rural Ireland. He went away for a couple of years to learn how to be a boxer, and now he's back.

I listened to an interview with him, and If I were mcGregor, I'd be fucking terrified of him. If I were that Dana Cunt I'd be twice as terrified as he's the polar opposite of Showbiz.

Hopefully he'll batter the shite out of him, and the whole thing will just fuck off and leave me alone. Conor mcGregor is just so fucking annoying it is unreal, and he's gathered together the biggest army of idiots since the children's crusade.

Comment

Rousey Routed

McGregor hasn't made much of an impact in the US, at least in the general sporting world. Everyone knows who Ronda Rousey is, the average person on the street would have no idea who McGregor is.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Incandenza wrote: McGregor hasn't made much of an impact in the US, at least in the general sporting world. Everyone knows who Ronda Rousey is, the average person on the street would have no idea who McGregor is.
                      That's partly because Ronda is 'hawt', right? The whole concept of a 'hottie' who can 'kick your ass' is easy to market. An Irish beardy, not so much.

Comment

Rousey Routed

McGregor is like a violent version of Bono, but even more braying.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I've never paid any attention to MMA (which remains illegal in New York State), but the degree to which is has become "mainstream" in the US sports universe is striking (and troubling to me, given its inherent brutality).

Comment

Rousey Routed

Though there may be a Rollerball element of a craving for ever-gratuituous brutality, I suspect most UFC fans are erstwhile boxing enthusiasts, who appreciate the unity of competition at each weight, compared with the myriad bodies governing pugilism.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I think you are fooling yourself.

My sense is that the US fan base is largely composed of bros who see it as a "sport" that combines WWE's brutality with a degree of actual uncertainty as to results.

Comment

Rousey Routed

And almost guarantees a fair amount of blood and some serious pain for participants.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Janik wrote: It seems Holm is a boxing champion turned UFC competitor. Given certain tropes UFC fans and the organisation have rolled out, they can't be at all happy with this outcome.
                                  No, what fans don't like is boxers who have never done MMA saying they could kick all UFC fighters asses. Tyson Fury said last year he wanted to fight Cain Velasquez, Cain had never heard of him. Holly Holm on the other hand moved to MMA, and has had around 9 professional fights (which is a reasonable amount given how new the womens game is). I don't think MMA fans have a problem with that at all.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Dave Meltzer wrote a really good piece in this week's Wrestling Observer that revealed that Holm had been training specifically for Rousey for TWO years. Rousey, on the other hand, has been filming a movie in which she stars and has a coach who had nothing to offer after the first round in which Holm destroyed her.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Her whole game plan was fucking shocking. Thinking she could do to an elite technical striker like Holm, what she did to a brawler like Beth Coreira was one of the dumbest things I've seen from a champion since, well Anderson Silva being a dick.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I've never heard of anyone mentioned on this thread nor any of these initialisms. I have the feeling this is in my favour

Comment

Rousey Routed

ooh aah wrote: Her whole game plan was fucking shocking. Thinking she could do to an elite technical striker like Holm, what she did to a brawler like Beth Coreira was one of the dumbest things I've seen from a champion since, well Anderson Silva being a dick.
                                          Yup, they trained her to avoid a clinch. And if she got clinched, to avoid a takedown. And if she got taken down, to avoid the armbar. Rousey had nothing.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I'll admit, I like it. I still prefer boxing, but I have grown to like MMA and I've been to a couple of UFC events.

I like the unity of it compared to the boxing organisations, as was mentioned earlier. I like the fact that one organisation sets the venues, rather than dubious movements organised by fighters and their management, and the associated dodgy home decisions (part of the reason why Italy no longer gets any decent boxing). And I like the atmosphere- big boxing events these days now get filled with tossers who are there to snort coke and fight each other. Froch v Groves II was a pretty unpleasant experience.

Comment

Rousey Routed

ad hoc wrote: I've never heard of anyone mentioned on this thread nor any of these initialisms. I have the feeling this is in my favour
                                              Not entirely. Rousey is highly unusual in being clearly the biggest star in a sport that would be seen as a mostly male world. Her rise to prominence was significant.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Obviously i can't argue with that. However, it is a sport (what sport? I still don't know) about which i know absolutely zero and which sounds (as far I do get what is going on here) to be even worse than boxing in terms of just being about brute violence. So, yes, in nearly every aspect of life I'm happy that women are succeeding in a male-dominated world. In this, well, I have no idea whether I can be quite that happy

Comment

Rousey Routed

Whittaker wrote: I'll admit, I like it. I still prefer boxing, but I have grown to like MMA and I've been to a couple of UFC events.

I like the unity of it compared to the boxing organisations, as was mentioned earlier. I like the fact that one organisation sets the venues, rather than dubious movements organised by fighters and their management, and the associated dodgy home decisions (part of the reason why Italy no longer gets any decent boxing). And I like the atmosphere- big boxing events these days now get filled with tossers who are there to snort coke and fight each other. Froch v Groves II was a pretty unpleasant experience.
                                                  I still attend some pro boxing bouts (including Froch v Groves II) and agree with you on your criticisms but if you want boxing with an open, unified organisational structure and a more bearable crowd then go to AIBA events.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X