Rousey Routed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rousey Routed

Hopefully this will help him take the step back from being an interplanetary level gobshite, to being a continental level one.

Comment

Rousey Routed

it was a great fight to watch.

mcgregor swaggered out and commenced swinging his left fist in a huge arc into diaz's head, while keeping up the usual stream of abuse and invective. but though he hit him several times, it quickly became worryingly apparent that these punches were having no discernible effect on diaz beyond making him bleed like a stuck pig. mcgregor has effectively beaten every opponent with the first serious punch he's landed so this was a new experience for him.

quite early in the second round he appeared to have run out of ideas. the game plan was really limited... stalk diaz and try to hit him with the big left. diaz wasn't giving him any easy openings so mcgregor started to get impatient and push forward, and that's when diaz cracked him on the jaw with the punch that effectively finished the fight.

mcgregor's legs went and from that moment he was dying on his feet until he dived for diaz's legs and got finished off within a few seconds. he had proclaimed that he'd never tap out again, "they'll have to kill me", but he actually tapped out twice, such was his fear and desperation in the choke.

it's going to be interesting to see how the aftermath of this affects his relationship with his management and coaching team. i would be pretty surprised if there wasn't already the makings of rivalry or at least quiet resentment between his long-standing trainer, john kavanagh, and the "movement coach" guru he's recently introduced, ido portal.

portal doesn't strike me as an easy person to get on with and lately he seems to have taken on a lot of responsibility for the training, which is of a style that makes for some good promotional videos yet obviously doesn't prepare you to take a punch, or think of a clever way to win a fight, or indeed for any aspect of fighting, even the basic stamina required to fight for five rounds.

i was astonished to hear mcgregor talking afterwards about how he'd been inefficient with his energy. he went down in the second round of five! he'd lost inside ten minutes of a fight that could have lasted twenty five and he's saying it came down to the other guy being more efficient with his energy? i don't know how impressed mauricio pochettino would have been.

so yeah, i guess there will be some discussion of the training and whether that's as good as it could be. but the other thing he needs is somebody to talk some sense to him. did anyone suggest that maybe fighting a considerably bigger guy wasn't a smart move at this point?

considering the strong position he was in, the run he was on, and the massive cost of a defeat which has shattered his mythos and ensured that from now on a large proportion of the audience will always be laughing at him, it was a crazy risk to take. someone should have told him so, but i get the impression nobody in the circle says no to him any more. ultimately this is what happens when you "don't do negative."

there's also the thing diaz kept talking about, which is his apparent lack of quality training and sparring partners. it's the kind of situation where a lot of athletes might be considering a change of scene, coaching-wise, but mcgregor has always insisted that anyone who does that is a fraud and a loser, so i guess that's another corner he's painted himself into.

i would also suggest he finds himself an exceptionally boring financial adviser and invests him with power of attorney.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Or maybe he should go with the zeitgeist and totally trump it. Double down on the madness, deny all defeats and be about the winning.

Comment

Rousey Routed

I thought that McGregor had a good chance once Diaz's right eyebrow turned into a faucet of blood, and that he would have a hard time seeing out with that eye, but as garcia says, he looked weaker the longer it went on.

Holm looked far better in dealing with the hold she got in in her second round than McGregor, even if she ultimately lost the fight.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Or maybe he should go with the zeitgeist and totally trump it. Double down on the madness, deny all defeats and be about the winning.
            yeah, this is something i was thinking when half the irish internet was rushing to heap praise and credit on mcgregor for taking the defeat with such humility and grace. but what choice did he have? they just had to scrape him off the canvas! i would have been more impressed if he'd trumped it - swaggered in to the post-fight press conference with his belt over his shoulder and ordered diaz to fetch him another coffee - now that would have been original, and really rather exciting.

Comment

Rousey Routed

did anyone suggest that maybe fighting a considerably bigger guy wasn't a smart move at this point?
              Diaz is not actually that much bigger though, they both weighed in under the limit only a pound apart. Diaz normally fights at 155 which was the weight the original fight with Dos Anjos would have been. But with only 11 days notice that was too soon for Diaz to get down to that.

Comment

Rousey Routed

A Portuguese MMA fighter named Joao Carvalho has died in hospital in Dublin today, following a Total Extreme Fighting event at the National Stadium.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Guardian article (originally published in the Irish Times) on Carvalho's death. It sounds horrific but I wouldn't know enough about MMA to know whether it was out of the ordinary.

Comment

Rousey Routed

McGregor has tweeted that he is retiring.

The MMA community seems to be split as to how serious he is.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Given that the tweet said "Thanks for all the cheese", it seems like an exercise in WUMmery.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Yes, it's almost certainly a piss-poor marketing stunt.

There's no way he has enough money to retire. He's already pissed his way through a lot of it.

Comment

Rousey Routed

This is treating it as if he's serious:

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/How-Death-Money-Mayweather-Possibly-Influenced-Conor-McGregors-Retirement-103631

Some interesting reasoning and insight in that. McGregor seems to be counting on the UFC needing him more than he needs them, and for UFC to back down so he gets more of a cut.

Comment

Rousey Routed

It is very clear that UFC has always been a brutal pyramid organization for fighting, giving little of what it makes to all, but more to successful / Promo fighters - I guess McGregor is looking for it to be a taller pyramid. If he only got $1m plus some share for the last fight, he probably has a very good point.

I would be fascinated to learn how much Rhonda Rousey has earned from her fights. I am sure it is awful compared to the revenue she generated as well.

I get that McGregor is a dick, but he probably has a good point that he walks away with probably less than 5% of the profit but puts his life on the line.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Maybe he should form a union and help all fighters get improved pay and conditions.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Thing is McGregor really does need the UFC more than they need him. There hasn't been a rival organisation since Pride, and no fighter wants to spend the peak of their career fighting in the little leagues for a bigger percentage cut of fuck all. Dana is also an egotistical cunt who will cut off his nose to spite his face, so even if McGregor does keep to his word, Dana will still reason that not giving an inch will save the company money in the long run. Even if it's not true, he'll still persuade himself that it is.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Looks like McGregor has really gone delusional, he's now trolling Mayweather - he actually started out as a boxer, with minimal results.

Comment

Rousey Routed

If he gets a fight with Mayweather (which seems ridiculous, but whatever) the purse would earn him more in one fight than he could ever have earned in UFC.

Comment

Rousey Routed

Comment

Rousey Routed

He's just won the RTE SPOTY Award, with Team of the Year going to the O'Donovan brothers, who won Olympic silver.

Comment

Rousey Routed

[quote=ursus arctos post=1246569]

Critiano Ronaldo, yesterday.

Comment

Rousey Routed

caja-dglh wrote: I would be fascinated to learn how much Rhonda Rousey has earned from her fights. I am sure it is awful compared to the revenue she generated as well.
                                            Rousey was apparently paid $3m for her fight on NYEve. The defending champion only got $200,000. And promptly beat (up) Rousey inside a minute. Rousey's star power is going to rapidly dim after that, surely.

Comment

Rousey joins WWE.
                                              https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ey-wwe-ufc-mma

Comment

And talk of her being shotgunned into beating Asuka, which would be WWE's inept booking to an absolute tee. (Asuka has been booked for almost two years to be unbeatable, and to be fair, she is absolutely terrifying.) The other option is a match against Charlotte Flair, and again, if Rousey wins then it makes a joke of Charlotte.

Comment

There's being a dick, and then there's being the most colossal bell end in the history of all sport. Of course there's no suggestion that cocaine was involved. No suggestion. Whatsoever.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world...rcn?li=BBoPWjQ

Comment

I never used to mind Mc Gregor,thought he had a lot of front but that's the game he's in but ever since the Mayweather fight he's gone up a notch to embarrassing dickhead, if that's him finished then good riddance

Comment

Working...
                                                    X