The Road to Rio: Rugby 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought the club rugby needs its own thread now that the RWC is over.

The budgets of the Wales regions have been increased from 3.5 to 4.5 million prompting speculation that many of the exiles will be returning.

Scott Baldwin and James King signed central contracts this week.

Is this the place for the Burgess post-mortem and Lancaster Death Watch?

Are the entire England squad still under contract to produce World Cup Diaries for Xmas?

Comment

No, the other thread doesn't expire until the end of the year, let's get it to a hundred pages eh?

Comment

Up to you, Halloween has passed but the post mortem hasn't.

Comment

It's entirely possible that Exeter will be top of the league tonight, if Northampton beat Saracens and the Chiefs beat Leicester. Testament to the continued progress down there that that wouldn't sem out of place, either.

Comment

Well, one half worked out. Next week, maybe.

I reckoned Chiefs must have won, because the Leicester jersey-wearers in the restaurant where I was were fairly glum. But there was no point at which it would have been appropriate to ask...

Comment

Is this the 2016 thread then? Thought I would disinter it with the Six Nations only a month away. Might need a new title though to carry it past the summer, AE?

Think I am doing Wales' three home games against the blue countries this year and hunting around for a ticket to The Home of 25-28. Hoping to finally see London Welsh again in the next few weeks now they are back at ODP and should take the boy to Harlequins v Cardiff Blues a week Sunday to test his loyalties.

Comment

Any suggestion for the thread title?

Comment

Bugger rugger?

Comment

Antepli Ejderha wrote: Any suggestion for the thread title?
                    Oh, I don't know. Something with 2016 in it to make it clear it's the annual thread. An Eddie Jones reference maybe, he's the main new aspect of the forthcoming year really.

Comment

Someone whipped up a round robin America's championship in February between us, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile. We host Argentina in Houston, Canada in Austin, Chile in Fort Lauderdale, then play in Brazil and Uruguay.

Comment

"Burg-less"?

Comment

2016 is gonna be a great year for Rugby.

It's back in the Olympics and the USA get to defend their 92 year reign as gold medalists with a side that looks like it will be up to the task. I've claimed my place on the bandwagon.

Otherwise, looking forward to the 6N and the start of Super rugby which has expanded into Japan and Argentina.

Comment

jefe wrote: Someone whipped up a round robin America's championship in February between us, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile. We host Argentina in Houston, Canada in Austin, Chile in Fort Lauderdale, then play in Brazil and Uruguay.
                            Fuck, that sounds fantastic. Is there a site for the competition?

Cesar's right about the Olympic Sevens being the big thing this year, maybe a title about that, 'Sevens Up'?

Comment

Is it just me that gets Toby Jones, Eddie Jones and Eddie Redmayne mixed up?

Thought so.

Comment

jefe wrote: Someone whipped up a round robin America's championship in February between us, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil and Chile. We host Argentina in Houston, Canada in Austin, Chile in Fort Lauderdale, then play in Brazil and Uruguay.
                                That sounds like an interesting tournament, will it only be for domestic based players?

Comment

I wouldn't normally link to a Bath Life column but this one from Sam Burgess' girlfriend last year is funny in retrospect.

Comment

I presumed that Bath Life was a trade magazine for plumbers.

AE, they are trying to market this as the "Americas Six Nations", but I would be surprised if any of the Euro-based Argentines arrived. Traditionally, Argentina has played the Jaguares for this kind of competition, though it may depend a bit on where they are with their SuperRugby preparations.

The US and Canada will try to twist the arms of European clubs, though I have doubts as to their success.

The six teams are of quite a different standard, with Argentina streets ahead of the rest and Brazil and Chile at the bottom.

Comment

Cheers UA.

Ireland have announced that Andy Farrell will be joining them as defence coach after the Six Nations, something that pleased Brian O'Driscoll and many others.

Comment

Chile are ranked only just outside a nominal RWC slot at 24th, though the drop off outside the top 20 is pronounced.

Brazil are way down at 42nd, five places below neighbours Paraguay and lagging behind such rugby powerhouses as Sri Lanka and Madagascar. The Olympic effect helping make them an attractive opponent, I imagine.

Comment

Chile got ranking points for beating Uruguay, which was playing without any of its World Cup players.

Paraguay are (rightly) ticked off, because they are both higher ranked (as you note) and also beat Brazil in Brazil playing best vs best, but the Brazilians (still) have more commercial appeal.

Comment

Ah, I did wonder how Chile rose so high. When did that game happen and what is their more regular level?

Comment

We've touched on it before on here but this in the Guardian's Breakdown mailout is an interesting development ;

London Welsh have not had much joy on their return to the Championship, although they have at least had a few wins after a season back in the top flight when they lost every match in the league and the European Challenge Cup.

They may not be for much longer in the English system, along with their neighbours London Scottish. The two are being lined up by the Guinness Pro 12, which is anxious to lay down roots in England’s capital as it looks to strengthen itself commercially.

The two clubs would make it the Pro 14. Their entry would not see the two Italian sides, Zebre and Treviso, who as usual are propping up the table, told to take their business elsewhere. With some in Premiership Rugby also seeing the merits of a 14-strong table, all three major leagues in Europe would look the same.

There is still a way to go for London Welsh and London Scottish, not least because there are so many unions involved: the four who make up the Pro 12 and Twickenham, who would need to give permission for the two clubs to play outside its jurisdiction. And then World Rugby could get involved.

There is no doubt that the move is being considered because a recent story in the Rugby Paper was put verbatim on the London Welsh website recently. It quoted the club’s chairman, Bleddyn Phillips, as saying that the move was being considered but that “things were delicate”.

He added that discussions had been held with various parties but that it was a process that would take some time. “It has been interesting and constructive and we hope it will come to fruition.” The Cardiff Blues’ chairman was quoted giving his support to the pair, saying that if the financial support were in place, why not bring them in.

“The conversations I have had with colleagues in Wales, Scotland and Ireland have been positive,” he said. “I am sure the London market is commercially huge and that is where the Pro 12 should be. Given two or three years, I am sure they would be successful and I don’t think the RFU should stand in their way. If there are barriers, let’s kick them down.”

There would be one advantage for London Welsh, who would have to decide whether to remain at Old Deer Park, go back to Oxford or find somewhere else: there would be no relegation.
                                              Worrying that Oxford is still being mentioned though, surely that would be even less successful in the Pro12 than it would be in the English Premiership!

The new report that London Welsh reproduced on their site is here.

Comment

That would be intriguing, particularly given the size of the "Celtic" expat community in London, though I would tend to think that the RFU would be less than thrilled. Do those on the ground think that it has a chance?

The Chile - Uruguay match was in May, I think. Their normal level is with Brazil and Paraguay, notably behind Uruguay, and miles behind Argentina.

I also see that Canada will be looking for a new coach.

Comment

Apparently England are thinking of making that meathead moron Dylan Hartley their captain. Is this for real?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X