India vs SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India vs SA

First test started today, following South Africa's 3-2 ODI series win.

Debut for Rabada, whose maiden wicket was Kohli's. Thanks to four wickets by part-time spinner Elgar, SA got India out for 202, but are 28/2 at the end of day 1.

I think SA will need a big innings from one of their upper order bats, because that tail is very long. AB de Villiers has a great record in India, but I reckon we might get something from Amla.

This is shaping up to be a fascinating test which will be dominated by spin.

India vs SA

Steyn is injured so this is India's to lose now.

Comment

India vs SA

Was gripped by this, and sort of want India to win, for them to keep themselves engaged with Tests.

That's a damn shame that Steyn is injured.

Comment

India vs SA

It might give England a sniff of a chance that South Africa clearly have considerable gaps in the team post-Smith & Kallis. If SA get thumped here the betting odds for SA-Eng might get closer.

On the other hand, England also have issues: Ali, Bell and maybe Bairstow with the bat; no effective spin; but their seam is strong with Broad, Jimmy, Wood and Finn.

Comment

India vs SA

With Morkel and Duminy out, and now Steyn injured, SA won't have much of a chance of saving this test, unless a couple of guys do something dramatic. A few early wickets will have given SA hope. It's 172/5 as I write.

My fear of the long tail was justified. Though I'm being a little unfair on Philander, who has shown that he can hold his bat. Vilas and Harmer both have decent first-class averages too. But the tail has three players with very little experience of batting in tests. On a pitch that had India fall for 202 to a part-time spinner, they didn't really stand a chance.

I don't think the batting collapse on Day 2 is indicative of SA's weakness. Obviously you can't replace players like Kallis and Smith, but at full strength, the side has a good balance, with the only weakness being the opening pair.

And on a seaming wicket, England won't really fancy facing Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Rabada.

Comment

India vs SA

Oh man. What a collapse by India!

Comment

India vs SA

My comment is out of date already - SA 9/2 chasing 200 ish.

Comment

India vs SA

14/3. Do they have somewhere to be?

Comment

India vs SA

De Villiers bowler by Mishra, 32/4, crikey

Comment

India vs SA

Five down. Is there still some way for India to throw this away?

Comment

India vs SA

No. (Which you all know, but threads should never end on a question, my sticker-album-completism won't allow it).

Hooray for the rain in Brisbane, where a thrashing is being administered to everyone's favourite team.

Comment

India vs SA

Based on my fortnight there which ended yesterday, it will continue to rain today, ending play until tomorrow, but tomorrow will be bright and sunny until at least tea time, which, now Williamson has gone, will probably be too long for NZ.

Comment

India vs SA

Australia evidently still have a few problems and are now 2nd favourites in the 2nd Test despite scoring 550+. They were 427-2 at one stage but now look like conceding a 1st innings lead. When Aus have bad days, they stink the place out.

Comment

India vs SA

Mirth in Perth:

They spent 15 minutes trying to shift the stuck sightscreen. Note the advertising below.

Comment

India vs SA

India score 215 on what sounds like an awful wicket (well, unless you're a spinner). In reply South Africa are bowled out for 79 the lowest ever score by anyone against India in tests. India are now, however, 83/2 which means that whatever validity complaining about the pitch would have for S Africa, they're going to now struggle to make their case since India are batting on the same wicket

Comment

India vs SA

Got better for SA at the end of that session, 108/5 at tea

Comment

India vs SA

173 all out. SA need 310 to win. It'll be an epic performance if they get it

Comment

India vs SA

They won't. Although Amla and AB are due a huge score.

I don't think SA can complain about the wicket. They prepare bouncing wickets for India; it makes sense that India pepares wickets which their opposing players aren't used to. A cunt's trick either way, but if you do it, you'll have to take it when it happens to you.

Comment

India vs SA

32/2 at the end, and the exact same pair who were in at the start of the day are in at the close. A mere 20 wickets down in the day.

Comment

India vs SA

And exactly the same two players who were out last night are out again. Which wouldn't be unusual if one of these two wasn't the same nightwatchman.

Comment

India vs SA

Hey G, I see that your Ignore ad hoc Function's working beautifully...

Comment

India vs SA

It's becoming a theme in test cricket that teams are strong at home, poor away, and it also looks like home teams are taking ever greater advantage of this by preparing pitches as far removed as possible from what the away team will want.

I agree that pitches should be characteristic ; it's part of the beauty of the game that you get pacy, bouncy pitches in Aus, turners in India, seamers in England etc. Batsmen need to adapt to that to be called test-class batsmen

What's not right, surely, is the sort of inconsistency this current Indian wicket is providing. We shouldn't be seeing such variable bounce, in height and pace, over the first two days as we are here.

Comment

India vs SA

Gangster Octopus wrote: Hey G, I see that your Ignore ad hoc Function's working beautifully...
                                              Read the posts again, GO. ad hoc refers to the two guys who are in (Elgar and Amla), I'm referring to the two guys who are out, van Zyl and Tahir.

Comment

India vs SA

Not going well again for SA. obviously traumatised by the wickets in the previous two games, this time they're playing on a much better wicket, but still collapsing. Currently 79/6 in reply to 334 (Rahane got the first century of the series)

(De Villiers is still there though so all is not lost)

Comment

India vs SA

119/9 now. Has any South African scored a 50 in this awful series?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X