Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1417865825340510217

Comment

Most of the picks are known already. No Landeskog either.

https://www.tsn.ca/seattle-kraken-ex...blog-1.1670707

Comment

I've had a look at the Seattle picks this morning. Should be defensively solid but I don't see where the offence is coming from? Maybe there's scope to sign a couple of UFAs or to do some trading to bring in a bit of depth. They'll be tough to play against but I just dont see anything there for the fans to fall in love with?

Comment

The consensus is that they will "flip" some of their excess (they drafted 30, but can only have 23 on the roster) for forwards and perhaps acquire one in free agency (they have significant cap room)

The early buzz seems to have Giordano and Eberle being the faces of the franchise, but they could definitely use a bigger scorer.

Comment

Yeah, this is just the beginning. We'll find out more about trades they're working on today and then the regular draft - Seattle has the second pick - and then free agency.

It is probably safe to say that the guys they flew in to be at the event will be on the team in October. There are persistent rumors that the Rangers are trying to trade for Giordano, but I suspect that isn't really going to happen or they wouldn't have showcased him like that.

I heard some complaints that the NHL/TSN/ESPN should have made this a more spectacular, Bruckheimeresque event the way Vegas did and that it was a shame that most of the picks were known before it happened, but from what I could tell, it was intended mainly to be just something to get locals interested in Seattle and it did that. They had great weather.

My other take away from all of this is that the Oilers remain a bit of a basketcase and that the Islanders are looking to make some big moves.

Comment

I think Colorado are going to struggle to keep Landeskog, but there arent that many teams who could take him on for what he's wanting. I've seen reports that he'd stay with the Avs for $7mil a season for 7 years. I've seen talk of Toronto being interested but they don't have anything like the cap space to add a forward on that kind of money. I'd love to see him go somewhere like Winnipeg. I think the Jets are a couple of players short of a real go at the Stanley Cup. They have a really interesting side but just not one that's consistent enough. Add Gabe to a roster that has Wheeler, Connor, Scheifele, Ehlers and Dubois and I think you'd have a top 6 forward group that would be pretty dangerous.

Avs also have huge question marks of Grubauer, with RFA Cale Makar needing a deal. He's a franchise D man for the next 10 years and I know they're looking at moving on Erik Johnson. They'll also struggle to retain Saad, although he's a guy I like but I don't see Colorado using him as a 2nd line left wing ahead of Burakovsky (unless Gabe walks and Burakovsky gets promoted to the top line). I just think that Colorado are in a bit of a transition right now - they'll bring through Bowen Byram and Sampo Ranta but they're going to have question marks in goal and they'll probably lose Landeskog at the end of the month.

Comment

Saad's brother played for Penn State.

Comment

More horrific details of the Blackhawks sexual abuse scandal have come to light in the form of another amended complaint.

Should they be confirmed, the club and the executives who tried to sweep the abuse under the rug (allegedly with the assistance of some senior players) are in serious legal jeopardy.

This isn't going to go away.

Comment

I wouldn’t be inclined to automatically trust the plaintiffs’ lawyer’s version of events, but it doesn’t look good at all.

Comment

Schedule for next season's out. Winter Olympics break built in, so lots and lots of back to backs and 3 in 4's.

Islanders have a 13 game roadtrip to start the season, and break in the new arena against the team you'd most expect.........Calgary

Comment

I had understood that there are two potential schedules, one with Beijing and one without.

I am very much not taking the allegations against the Blackhawks as gospel, but most attorneys are not Sidney Powell, and this lawyer would be doing his client a tremendous disservice (as well as putting his licence in jeopardy) if he is inventing claims out of whole cloth
                        Last edited by ursus arctos; 22-07-2021, 23:47.

Comment

That’s true. The issue isn’t so much about the horrible things that happened but what did they know and when did they know it. Harder to prove.

But I don’t think the “we didn’t technically have any duty to inform anyone” is going to be a good defense.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 23-07-2021, 01:30.

Comment

I honestly don't know how they ever thought that it would be

The "culture" problems in the sport run very deep

Comment

I don’t know.

I could understand if they said, “we didn’t really understand the details of what was going on, so we just assumed it wasn’t so bad.”

That kind of assumption seems to be common when the victim is male, especially if they’re a teenager or adult. Or, at least it was. A lot has changed in the last decade.

But if they had a clear picture of what was happening and decided to just act like they didn’t, they are in deep shit.

The ‘Hawks should clean house. If nothing else, they don’t want this coming up in every press conference for the next five years.

Comment

Canucks trade their first round pick plus three players to the Coyotes for Conor Garland and Oliver Ekman-Larsson. This is a salary dump in return for an equivalent salary millstone. There seems to be no clear objective or rationale to these moves. Pitchforks are being sharpened and tar is bubbling in Vancouver as I write.

Comment

Yeah, that move makes no sense to me.

Comment

Somewhere in Jim Benning's brain there must a semblance of logic to it, but I'll be darned if I can see what it is. He's had a Jones for OE-L for a couple years and tried to make something happen before. But the player's a couple years older now and significantly less effective. We needed a #1 left-sided DM to replace Edler, we've got Quinn Hughes on the right. FFS this really does make me cough up a hairball!

Comment

I am too depressed to talk about it.

It is Louie Erikson bis.

Comment

Arizona is setting themselves as the league sin-eater. Take on other teams’ dumb contracts in exchange for a lot of picks. They should be in a good position in a year or two.

Comment

The Hockey Guy isn’t impressed.

https://youtu.be/m1Y4jjKXegU

It seems like the Canucks are just mortgaging the farm to just maybe make the playoffs while the Coyotes are willing to really suck before properly rebuilding - maybe to help generate support to get a new rink built or move to Houston.
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 24-07-2021, 01:25.

Comment

The Habs just took all of the goodwill generated during their Stanley Cup run and set fire to it. Then threw it in the dumpster. And then set fire to that.

Comment

I happen to know a good number of female fans of Les Canadiens,

They are all incensed (as are many of the guys).

Comment

Colorado agree $9mil a year for 6 seasons with Cale Makar. Presumably that'll be the end of Landeskog in an Avs jersey unless they've got enough talent in their system on entry level contracts that they can free up some space. It's less money than Seth Jones is making on his new deal with the Hawks. Doesnt mean it's great value for the Avalanche.

I think $9mil for Makar is steep. I know he's going to be a stud D man in the NHL for the next decade, but its a lot of money. That's their 2nd $9mil contract and I'd expect Nathan Mackinnon to want that kind of money in a couple of years time. They probably had 2 stud forwards on the cheap with Mackinnon and Landeskog earning relatively affordable sums but I can see the Avs getting into real trouble when they need to deal with Mackinnon. Bowen Byram will be a restricted free agent the same summer as Mackinnon is unrestricted.

Comment

Every mention of Bowen Byram reminds me that I saw his dad play for Manchester and then I feel very old.

$9m per for Makar was about market rate. McKinnon will be the same and rightly so.

Comment

Jake Virtanen has his contract bought out by the Canucks. Sexual assault charges are the final straw for the once-upon-time first round draft pick.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X